Line Combos: Roster/Lineup/Movement Discussions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
IMHO maybe it would be good to take Yegor Sharangovich or Janne Kuokkanen . The best, both. I know I know they aren`t first line centers but both can play there. Of course his FO% aren`t super to.

Btw, Roslovic`s FO% - 25% . It`s a pity, Jack is a good player.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
FOR ME
Untouchable: Laine, Jones, Bjorkstrand, Jenner
Don’t Want to move but you can listen: all above plus Carlsson and Foudy
Agree with your post , adding Domi to don’t want to move , I don’t buy for a second that him and Laine forgot how to play nhl hockey the moment they were traded here . Also, I’m not trading Elvis .. he’s clearly the better of the 2 goalies .. had some bad luck with injuries though

Reactions: VeseleTlacovky

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Jones is only one who is untouchable.

I would trade Laine with right price.
Werenski and Björky are hard goodbyes but everyone else ciao

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Agree with your post , adding Domi to don’t want to move , I don’t buy for a second that him and Laine forgot how to play nhl hockey the moment they were traded here . Also, I’m not trading Elvis .. he’s clearly the better of the 2 goalies .. had some bad luck with injuries though
I agree and I really forgot Max wrote there.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Why is Jones untouchable. Didn't they go down this road with another guy that had huge trade value and ended up leaving for nothing. Jones is a rock on the back end but nobody on this board will say he's been close to the level we as fans expect from him. If he's ready to sign a long term deal on July 1 or whatever the day is then yes extend him and get it done. If not I'm looking around for offers. Last time is part of what got them to the teams current position. Don't do it again.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I am ok with a completely tear down.

I am also ok with doing very little (e.g., trade Savard to a contender who needs right D depth) and writing this year off. New players, no training camp, COVID outbreak before the season, drama at the beginning of the season. It’s just not our year.

If we do the complete tear down:

My only untouchable is Bjork. You don’t trade a guy right after he signs a 5 year extension. Gavrikov is near untouchable for a similar reason.

I am very, very reluctant to trade ZW. When we make a pick in the top 10 who plays well, let’s keep him.

I’d trade Seth for the right offer. And I mean top prospect, top pick, +. I’d take back a contract if the offer was great.

I’d love to see Cam play his entire career here and hold all the career records. But he is scoring goals now, and his contract is too long. I’d trade him if we get a decent offer.

Boone is another guy I like, but he is scoring, so I say sell high.

If someone offers enough for Laine, I’d sell. He is a great 3rd or 4th piece. He is not a guy we need to hold on to in a rebuild. But if the offer is not high enough, his shot will be fun to watch as the team tanks.

Pick a goalie, any goalie. We’ll trade either one.

So hold on to ZW, Roslovic, Tex, Robinson, Gav, Bjork, Peake, Foudy. See what the market is for everyone else is. After the season, I could see extending Nash and MDZ for a year if nobody takes them. I could see extending Foligno two years if nobody takes him, or offering him a short lower cost deal after he chases a cup.

In no particular order, for next year when we tank/develop:

Nyquist Roslovic Bjork
Foligno Tex Bemstrom
Robinson Domi Nash
Foudy Stenlund trade acquisition
Zach Peake
Gav MDZ
Some combination of Carlson, Harrington, and Kukan or maybe Berni

which ever goalie is left / VV

So our own 1st rounder this year and next will be good. Plus whatever picks and prospects we get. Plus those KHL guys. Guys like Roslovic, Tex, Foudy, Bemstrom, Stenlund, Peake get experience. We could be a fun team to watch in 2023-2024 with good picks and prospects coming back.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Why is Jones untouchable. Didn't they go down this road with another guy that had huge trade value and ended up leaving for nothing. Jones is a rock on the back end but nobody on this board will say he's been close to the level we as fans expect from him. If he's ready to sign a long term deal on July 1 or whatever the day is then yes extend him and get it done. If not I'm looking around for offers. Last time is part of what got them to the teams current position. Don't do it again.
You asked the question that needed to be asked.

6zag

Apr 30, 2016
You asked the question that needed to be asked.

For me personally it's more of a keep one trade away one (between J and W) for a center. Doesn't really matter which one as long as we can sign the one that stays long term. If we're set on keeping Laine, Jones' handedness works better than Werenski's on the PP, if I had to find something that tips the scale on Jones' side for me.

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015

Not to mention that fact that if we're in a rebuild - and I think we will be once the deadline passes - Jones has more value as a trade asset now than as an on ice player in 3-4 years, which is the earliest we could expect to emerge from rebuild. I'm at a point where I wouldn't try to resign him and would instead start shopping him with the idea of a sign and trade. If we do a rebuild, a Jones trade is the biggest and quickest way to acquire a hoard of good assets.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
There's no way I move Seth Jones.

Top-notch defensemen are hard to come by. Move him, and there's a big chance you regret it. I'd rather take my chances trying to re-sign him than give him up.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm with Byrral on this one. If he isn't willing to re-sign a long term deal post July 1 or whenever the date is this year then I say shop him for the best deal you can get.

Reactions: DarkandStormy

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm with Byrral on this one. If he isn't willing to re-sign a long term deal post July 1 or whenever the date is this year then I say shop him for the best deal you can get.

Yeah, this is my thoughts too. But my list was personally just for the trade deadline, not the summer. I’m not trading or considering trading Jones until I know his intentions.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Ownership will likely have a good idea who wants to be here and who doesn't.
Just the negotiation with PLD may have shed some light on Seth, who knows.

At this point it's obvious Laine needs a center.
Also obvious we don't have that center on our roster or our system.
About the only players we have to acquire a C would be Seth or ZW without giving up several draft picks which I don't think we can do (again being a small market we need productivity from underpaid rookie contracts).

If we are committed to to a great blue line* and if it appears Seth and ZW want to be here, then I would try to flip Laine.
If either Seth or ZW are looking down the road, then I would trade that player and one of the goalies and try to get a Center and sign Laine.
If they both want out then who knows?

*This is the thing if we are planning a coaching change it limits us if we are forcing a coach into a certain system.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
To me, Jones is one of the most frustrating players in that he appears to have the athletic ability that could make him a bonafide top 5-10 DMan in the league. And he pretty much did in one season - '17-'18. But he also "eats minutes" and I don't mean that in a good way sometimes - he's out there for 25+ minutes a night and plenty of times he's content to just make the safe play. With his athleticism, he should be involved a lot more, imo.

He's one of these "he'll win a Norris eventually" guys, but outside of '17-'18 he's never consistently elevated his game to warrant consideration. He also has some really bad stretches - see: the first 15ish games this season. He turns 27 next October and I fear his game isn't going to age well on the other side of 30.

I agree - he's not untouchable. Jarmo will have to find out on July 1 if he wants to stay and for what price. I'd look to move him if he wants Karlsson money or signals he's not going to re-sign.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Problem with moving Jones is that he'll only have one year till UFA. Teams aren't going to give up as much with that uncertainty hanging over the situation. Will have to get assurances that he'll re-sign which could effectively kill any deal. If he doesn't extend then best bet might be a trade deadline deal (next season)for a #1 pick and some top prospects. Not a great hand to play but it may be the only one available. Alternative hope is a new coach & system gives him reason to re-sign here assuming that is one of (only) reasons he wouldn't re-sign.

Reactions: DarkandStormy

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
IMHO it's very interesting lines. Btw, Cam with Boone and Nick, it could be interesting. Cam is something like Robinson but more, more better. He will be able to play his style with Boone and Nick without restricting his technical partners. Roslovic is not a power forward Dubois with enough good (read at least more than 40%) FO and a perfect game at the board, so the attack needs to play more combined, better transition to the attacking zone without losing the puck. On the contrary, he will be able to play vertical hockey with Boone and Nick, shooting permanently. Simply put, take advantage of what makes him strong in PK. Domi plays with Nash very well, besides, Riley has a good FO%. Bemstrom is not only fast and skill, but he has a good hockey IQ. It will be interesting if Grigo gets a chance.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
At this point it's obvious Laine needs a center.

Nash years all over again.

I don’t think we should hold our breath for a player who profiles as a traditional #1C. They’re just too hard to come by. We had one here that was traded for Laine but even then we don’t know if they’d have been a good fit.

Seems like the guy who best centered Nash in all that time was Manny Malhotra. Even that may not have lasted longer than one good season.

Laine and Nash are not the same player, but I just feel like you need to try everything to get guys going. If Laine absolutely needs what profiles as a #1C then maybe he’s a burden on the roster.

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Nash years all over again.

I don’t think we should hold our breath for a player who profiles as a traditional #1C. They’re just too hard to come by. We had one here that was traded for Laine but even then we don’t know if they’d have been a good fit.

Seems like the guy who beat centered Nash in all that time was Manny Malhotra. Even that may not have lasted longer than one good season.

Laine and Nash are not the same player, but I just feel like you need to try everything to get guys going. If Laine absolutely needs what profiles as a #1C then maybe he’s a burden on the roster.
I agree it’s Nash yrs all over again , however it’s deeper than that . Domi is pointless in 8 games . Foligno has 2 points in 8 games , Laine is pointless in 6 games , and your second best scorer in Bjork had a whopping 3 goals in feb (2 in same game ) . When do we start to realize maybe it’s not the players ?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I agree it’s Nash yrs all over again , however it’s deeper than that . Domi is pointless in 8 games . Foligno has 2 points in 8 games , Laine is pointless in 6 games , and your second best scorer in Bjork had a whopping 3 goals in feb (2 in same game ) . When do we start to realize maybe it’s not the players ?

I'm just noting that I'm reading a lot of "Laine needs a center" and that we've heard that before in franchise history. I'm not making any big picture comment on the current roster or the coaching. (Those Nash teams sucked, too., BTW.) In fact, there's no possible way you can extrapolate my post to make your point.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I'm just noting that I'm reading a lot of "Laine needs a center" and that we've heard that before in franchise history. I'm not making any big picture comment on the current roster or the coaching. (Those Nash teams sucked, too., BTW.) In fact, there's no possible way you can extrapolate my post to make your point.
I think it can be both .. Laine probably needs a legit center to thrive , my comment was more on that it’s impossible to judge the talent here , when it’s being so badly misapplied

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad