Line Combos: Roster/Lineup Discussions Thread II

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Blue Jackets playing it careful with defenseman Andrew Peeke

“I thought he looked a little overwhelmed when he was playing and those are the things we have to talk about,” said coach John Tortorella, who is consulting with assistant Brad Shaw and general manager Jarmo Kekalainen on a plan for Peeke. “I don’t want to hurt his development to continually trot him out there and have him struggle.”

Before being scratched, Peeke played the first three games of a six-game road trip that concluded Sunday in Tampa. His one assist and a minus-2 rating in that span don’t indicate that he was overmatched, but stats aren’t everything. Tortorella and Shaw didn’t like what they saw out of the young defenseman and don’t want to ruin his confidence.

This organization is a mess.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If only there was a place against pros similar to himself where he could develop his game.

Just play him in the f***ing minors is it that hard?

Last edited:
Reactions: majormajor

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

They (well, at least writers like Hedger and Portzline - I'm not sure about the organization) keep citing "only four recalls after the TDL" as if a taxi squad doesn't exist. Also...maybe you should have sent Peeke to Cleveland *BEFORE* the deadline.

The Canadiens found a way to call up Caulfield. Peeke projects, I'm assuming, to be on the 2nd pair next season with Gavirkov. Figure it the **** out.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
If only there was a place against pros similar to himself where he could develop his game.

They (well, at least writers like Hedger and Portzline - I'm not sure about the organization) keep citing "only four recalls after the TDL" as if a taxi squad doesn't exist. Also...maybe you should have sent Peeke to Cleveland *BEFORE* the deadline.

The Canadiens found a way to call up Caulfield. Peeke projects, I'm assuming, to be on the 2nd pair next season with Gavirkov. Figure it the **** out.

We've really got to manage the recalls as we prepare for the play... oh wait.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't we have 9 healthy D on the roster including the taxi squad right now? Are we really going to need more recalls in the next week? This also doesn't include emergeny recalls as needed I believe.

If you send Peeke down you still have 8 D.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

If we play a man short or are forced to play 8 D or something because of using our recalls/send downs then who cares, his development is more important than playing for the pride at the end of the year

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I stand corrected. Clendening is on the taxi squad so there are officially 10 healthy defensemen in Columbus right now.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I'd assume that they've given up on any plan to start Peeke in the top 4. He has taken a step back so I'd guess their plan is to acquire an RD (Hakanpaa?) to play ahead of him.

But I'd also assume that they'd want to get Peeke in as many AHL games as possible to keep developing. He's had about one game per month since the pandemic began. So who knows what these bozos are doing.

Reactions: Bookker

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
We have two lines:

Robinson--Domi--Bjorkstrand
Foudy--Texier--Atkinson

now I would try

Laine--Roslovic--Bemstrom

Grigorenko, Stenlund...I don't know the reason why Kevin hasn't played. Grigo... he very tried, one was better around the board, on the puck but IMHO Bemstrom is better. Btw he had some shift with Laine and I liked it.

Reactions: Jan

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
So we managed to consume a season of his entry level contract without him ever playing for us. That Jarmo is such a shrewd contract manager. Wonder what Ethen Horton is doing these days .

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
So we managed to consume a season of his entry level contract without him ever playing for us. That Jarmo is such a shrewd contract manager.

Or Jarmo could have been shrewed with Chinakhov like you want and Chinakhov could have decided instead to sign a two or three year deal to stay in the KHL. Then they could be waiting for him for a couple more years just like they are with Voronkov and Marchenko. I'll take losing a year over waiting for three more.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Or Jarmo could have been shrewed with Chinakhov like you want and Chinakhov could have decided instead to sign a two or three year deal to stay in the KHL. Then they could be waiting for him for a couple more years just like they are with Voronkov and Marchenko. I'll take losing a year over waiting for three more.
Yeah, its not like he is going anywhere except maybe back to Russia if he ends up being overhyped. He'll still be RFA if he is what Jarmo thinks he is.

Reactions: LJ7201

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

And we don't "lose a year" in the sense of losing the player, he's still CBJ property for seven years.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Did anyone read the the article in today's Athletic where Porty interviews on a confidential basis 3 former Jackets and asks their take on why Columbus has a hard time retaining talent. One of the things mentioned is Jarmo's hard nosed, take it or leave it approach to RFA's which leaves hard feelings so that the young players want out as soon as they can (cough Anderson, cough, PLDouce).

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Did anyone read the the article in today's Athletic where Porty interviews on a confidential basis 3 former Jackets and asks their take on why Columbus has a hard time retaining talent. One of the things mentioned is Jarmo's hard nosed, take it or leave it approach to RFA's which leaves hard feelings so that the young players want out as soon as they can (cough Anderson, cough, PLDouce).

News Article: - Former players tell The Athletic about CBJ as an organization

Just doink

Mar 28, 2018
Speed, skill, quite gritty but I don`t understand why we signed him.

I do and i see him taking the roster spot. One of the fastest players i have ever seen play in europe(in my own eyes), can play PP/PK, every role given to him.

When it comes to speed alone, he's top5-10 players in the NHL.

On ECHL all stars event he skated around the ring at 12,75sec, in NHL all stars event 2016 Larkin skated NHL record at 13,172 and both were with flying starts. Danforth is only one who has certified skated under 13sec, ever.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I do and i see him taking the roster spot. One of the fastest players i have ever seen play in europe(in my own eyes), can play PP/PK, every role given to him.

When it comes to speed alone, he's top5-10 players in the NHL.

On ECHL all stars event he skated around the ring at 12,75sec, in NHL all stars event 2016 Larkin skated NHL record at 13,172 and both were with flying starts. Danforth is only one who has certified skated under 13sec, ever.

The speed makes him an exciting add. Any idea why he didn't stick in the AHL? What were /are the holes in his game?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad