Line Combos: Roster/Lineup Discussions Thread II

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
The speed makes him an exciting add. Any idea why he didn't stick in the AHL? What were /are the holes in his game?

money, age and size. AHL pays peanuts. 25-year old 5'9" player with speed has much brighter future in Europe than in minor leagues. He made at least 3 times that money what he would have earned in AHL when he went to Liiga and then when he got a KHL deal his earnings skyrocketed compared to his Liiga-contract.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
money, age and size. AHL pays peanuts. 25-year old 5'9" player with speed has much brighter future in Europe than in minor leagues. He made at least 3 times that money what he would have earned in AHL when he went to Liiga and then when he got a KHL deal his earnings skyrocketed compared to his Liiga-contract.

I actually meant why he was sent down from the AHL. Obviously he has the talent to dominate in top European leagues, but something must have been amiss for him in the AHL.

Just doink

Mar 28, 2018
The speed makes him an exciting add. Any idea why he didn't stick in the AHL? What were /are the holes in his game?

Maybe his size is the biggest problem, tho he is not soft at all and is leader type of a player. Also not a great shooter. I don't think his overall game was good enough when he started his pro career, he is late bloomer for sure. When he came to Finland, in first year he was all about the speed, creating opportunities with that and missing the net left and right. On second year every aspect of his game including his shooting was way better, and he was Liiga MVP. And his improvement went same path last year in KHL, he played in weak team but still was one of the top players in league.

One on one, i prefer him over Emil Bemström for example. Maybe not much, and one is younger but for right now.

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I do and i see him taking the roster spot. One of the fastest players i have ever seen play in europe(in my own eyes), can play PP/PK, every role given to him.

When it comes to speed alone, he's top5-10 players in the NHL.

On ECHL all stars event he skated around the ring at 12,75sec, in NHL all stars event 2016 Larkin skated NHL record at 13,172 and both were with flying starts. Danforth is only one who has certified skated under 13sec, ever.
But I don't know instead of whom.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I do and i see him taking the roster spot. One of the fastest players i have ever seen play in europe(in my own eyes), can play PP/PK, every role given to him.

When it comes to speed alone, he's top5-10 players in the NHL.

On ECHL all stars event he skated around the ring at 12,75sec, in NHL all stars event 2016 Larkin skated NHL record at 13,172 and both were with flying starts. Danforth is only one who has certified skated under 13sec, ever.
I guess he gets to do the chase while everyone else dumps.

Reactions: majormajor

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Maybe his size is the biggest problem, tho he is not soft at all and is leader type of a player. Also not a great shooter. I don't think his overall game was good enough when he started his pro career, he is late bloomer for sure. When he came to Finland, in first year he was all about the speed, creating opportunities with that and missing the net left and right. On second year every aspect of his game including his shooting was way better, and he was Liiga MVP. And his improvement went same path last year in KHL, he played in weak team but still was one of the top players in league.

One on one, i prefer him over Emil Bemström for example. Maybe not much, and one is younger but for right now.
Bemstrom is 22. Danforth is 28. Bemmer will only improve I don`t know if Danforth too.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Just doink

Mar 28, 2018
Bemstrom is 22. Danforth is 28. Bemmer will only improve I don`t know if Danforth too.

Yeah for sure Bemmer will improve more, but Danforth is not done yet neither. He has basicly played last 4-5 years as a pro, and still has room to improve. Has done it year after year quit significantly.

But for right now what i have seen both guys play, i prefer Danforth.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Yeah for sure Bemmer will improve more, but Danforth is not done yet neither. He has basicly played last 4-5 years as a pro, and still has room to improve. Has done it year after year quit significantly.

But for right now what i have seen both guys play, i prefer Danforth.
I don't see any reason to think Danforth is better then Emil and he woul be move to TOP instead of Texier or Domi.

Just doink

Mar 28, 2018
I don't see any reason to think Danforth is better then Emil and he woul be move to TOP instead of Texier or Domi.

I do. I have watched Bemströn, Texier, Danforth all close for a long time and i see them roughly same caliber of players at this point. Danforth's speed is such a useful ability and separate him from the rest.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Why do they keep shifting Kivlenieks back and forth to the taxi squad? His salary is the same in the AHL and it’s not like we are going over the cap with 5 days left.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Why do they keep shifting Kivlenieks back and forth to the taxi squad? His salary is the same in the AHL and it’s not like we are going over the cap with 5 days left.

Like there might be reasons for it other than cheap-ass ownership saving a buck? Hmmm

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
What are they?

In this specific case, maybe something to do with the "1 goalie required for the Taxi Squad for teams with less than 3 goalies on the active roster (and the 1 goalie must be available for all home and away games in this situation)" rule.

But my takeaway is that it seems like the "this move is purely to save $$$" assumption may not always be correct.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
How many ~27+ year old, Euro league reclamation projects can one franchise try to prove are NHLers?

Jarmo must have a punch card that says "sign 10 Euro league players, get one free".

One of these guys has to pan out at some point, right? If you stand with your back to the dart board and you're flinging them over your shoulder, eventually one of throws has to hit.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Jarmo must have a punch card that says "sign 10 Euro league players, get one free".

One of these guys has to pan out at some point, right? If you stand with your back to the dart board and you're flinging them over your shoulder, eventually one of throws has to hit.

Hey, I hear Markus Hannikainen is still available.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
How many ~27+ year old, Euro league reclamation projects can one franchise try to prove are NHLers?
This indignation makes absolutely no sense to me. There's more to team construction than the big flashy names, and that doesn't abruptly go away just because we have big needs elsewhere. If he was trading top assets for these guys' rights, then maybe I could understand, but that's not happening. So WTF? What makes this such an egregious sin?

Reactions: rotsbu and LJ7201

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
This indignation makes absolutely no sense to me. There's more to team construction than the big flashy names, and that doesn't abruptly go away just because we have big needs elsewhere. If he was trading top assets for these guys' rights, then maybe I could understand, but that's not happening. So WTF? What makes this such an egregious sin?

Because none have worked out as of yet? :dunno:. Once (if) he lands a big one all will be forgiven.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Like there might be reasons for it other than cheap-ass ownership saving a buck? Hmmm
I think they keep adding him on "emergency recall" so maybe they have to send him back because Korpisalo is still technically on the active roster. They seem to be preciously aware of the number of recalls allowed after the trade deadline since they refuse to use one and demote Peeke to get him playing time even though I'm not sure we've actually used a legit recall since the trade deadline and there are only 3 games left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->