Speculation: Roster Improvements: Who should we trade for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Just a thought: Garrison was brought in to help our PP. He's done a lot here but not that.

It's been theorized a lot (most notably by the BP guys) that we basically need a right-handed Garrison. ...A Salo type, I guess. But with better vision and wheels, preferably. Probably why Stralman keeps getting tested with the 1st unit.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Ok then, if it would be dumb on Yzerman's part to add a player to help with the PP because the problem is design and execution, is it not dumb on Yzerman's part to allow the PP to remain dysfunctional based on design an execution? Is the entire organization dumb or just too soft-spoken to step in and tell Cooper and company that they're screwing something up?

I doubt it's that simple. And while I don't think adding a proven QB to the PP would magically make things fine, it would definitely help.

I'm not saying this to make a case for acquiring Yandle. I'd only go after him under very specific circumstances, i.e. a reasonable price and the option of moving Matt Carle. (Bolded for skim-protection.) We'd still need an RHD, which is the exact position we're in now, except for the next year we would have one of the better offensive D weapons in the game. That brings more to the table than Matt Carle does right now, and, if the price is reasonable (something along the lines of Namestnikov + a 1st + ), it might even be worth it just to get Matt Carle off the books and better prepare us for Stammergeddon in 2016. Hell, to be honest, I'd like to replace Matt Carle with almost any LHD signed only til the end of next year.

I realize this is hypothetical and with growing cap uncertainty it's getting less and less likely we can get Carle off the books regardless. But it's not because he's such a great player that we shouldn't move him. It's because he has a NTC and the teams most likely to take him are teams for whom he'd never play.

moving carle is not going to be hard [MOD]. CARLE IS LEGIT top four is plenty of teams WHOM feel they are on defender away from being STANLEY CUP team. So if carle chooses ten teams hes an easy move maybe we keep 1.5 or something or return is less then it should be but MOVING HIM IS NOT GOING TO BE HARD.

Is plenty of teams who would take him on for cup runs or multiple cup runs detroit id think calgary id think islanders id bet montreal lol just to name a few. That aint even talking on west leading teams.

The cap questions what stanley cup running team has cared in past why is this all now changed if and when we want to move matt carle jesus im sick personally of seeing this nonsense. Hes actually an easily movable piece to me. Not sure we do move him hell if we could add a yandle and somehow keep carle and play them together move gudas up with garrison that would not surprise me at all for the next year even.

WE DO NOT I WILL REPEAT THIS HAVE TO MOVE A FIRST AND VLADDY TO MOVE MATT CARLE I MEAN WTH I think you all need to go look at defenders movement the last 3 seasons and see what they got and how easily they moved

MATT CARLE IS LEGIT maybe a little over payed but his stats have been consistent big minutes solid he fails the eye test in ways but not to be a number four with a solid partner. Is teams would line up.

He is well liked here though so im unsure we do move him till we must. Hes a good 5-6 guy for sure and four in pinch for sure that the organization likes a ton and cooper loves.

I think us as fans worry a hell of a lot more on the dollars then steve or cooper do!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
If we don't get anybody at the deadline I can't see us being too aggressive in the offseason for a defenseman. Koekkoek will hopefully have finished the season healthy and helped carry the Crunch deep. DeAngelo will hopefully carry SSM to a Memorial cup. We can ride with Hedman/Garrison/Carle on the left with Koekkoek ready for a call up. If we need offense DeAngelo will also be able to come up to get a look, if we play him sheltered with some PP time we can get by. Players like Nesterov/Sustr/Witkowski hopefully improve as well as Gudas getting healthy. Bringing in another vet is just going to block one of our youth from playing important development minutes, rather go rental this year and again next if the kids haven't cemented a spot.

as slowly as cooper is bringing on people like drouin or sheltering nesterov you think he is gonna bring on slater and tony d in same season

Last edited by a moderator:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Is DeAngelo eligable for the AHL next year? His is still at least (very least), what, two more seasons away?

I don't think it's entirely impossible he isn't on the NHL team next season as a sheltered #6, similar to how Boston deploys Torey Krug. Not saying it's a good bet, just saying it's a possibility.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Yup. Pretty sure this is his 4th OHL year, so he is NHL or AHL bound.

i thought both tony d and masin are eligible and thought maybe one other if correct to move to ahl?

Not sure that also matters the bodies we have who is proven or if we can move guys to the other league if needed someone did a chart for next year on the bodies and was too many so decisions have to be made for sure if I remember correctly?

We seem to be in good hands though and I expect some changes in offseason not meaning trades just guys going to everblades? Is that right?

Good news it seems we keep doing well with murray and in development in all levels lol

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I don't think it's entirely impossible he isn't on the NHL team next season as a sheltered #6, similar to how Boston deploys Torey Krug. Not saying it's a good bet, just saying it's a possibility.

I say zero chance with how hard cooper has been on the forwards. I think nesterov has earned his place moving forward and slater deangelo etc.. will take injuries or odditities moving ahead just cause cooper likes to slow roll and we want to set up a system like detroit.

I dont know how good tony d is with defense yet cant watch him just see the stats but to me he is like sproul with detroit and sproul after being defenseman of year chl I thought last year is buried 5th because he has the worst defense of the prospects I expect the same with tony d for awhile myself.

So wouldnt get hopes up as fans to see him anytime soon I figure 4 years he earns a top spot so 2 till he gets protected etc..

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I say zero chance with how hard cooper has been on the forwards. I think nesterov has earned his place moving forward and slater deangelo etc.. will take injuries or odditities moving ahead just cause cooper likes to slow roll and we want to set up a system like detroit.

I dont know how good tony d is with defense yet cant watch him just see the stats but to me he is like sproul with detroit and sproul after being defenseman of year chl I thought last year is buried 5th because he has the worst defense of the prospects I expect the same with tony d for awhile myself.

So wouldnt get hopes up as fans to see him anytime soon I figure 4 years he earns a top spot so 2 till he gets protected etc..
The fact is we REALLY need a RHD with some offense - and he has an element that the team needs and no one else in the organization has, either currently on the roster or elsewhere in the organization. For his unique skillset alone that means that any projections about when he comes up are fraught with dangers. I'm not saying with any certainty he will be an NHL regular next season - just that, and similar with Erne, when you bring something that no one else has, the normal rules don't apply to you.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
The fact is we REALLY need a RHD with some offense - and he has an element that the team needs and no one else in the organization has, either currently on the roster or elsewhere in the organization. For his unique skillset alone that means that any projections about when he comes up are fraught with dangers. I'm not saying with any certainty he will be an NHL regular next season - just that, and similar with Erne, when you bring something that no one else has, the normal rules don't apply to you.

got to see his d play if he is like sproul he will not make it on this team at this point. I havent seen him only hear reports that he is surprisingly more physical and quick then expected boyle shocked everyone im sure so he has his chance and maybe hes that good? Time will tell just after the frustration of cooper WHOM I LOVE of watching kucherov's development and now drouins I have extremely LOW hope for tony d any day soon:)

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yzerman seems pretty adamant about not giving up picks for a rental. Have a feeling we ride with this group into the playoffs, and changes might happen in the summer.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
as slowly as cooper is bringing on people like drouin or sheltering nesterov you think he is gonna bring on slater and tony d in same season

I never said both would be up but both could. Slater will be 21, Gudas played at 22, Nesterov is at 21, Cooper isn't afraid to play kids he just prefers not to. If we don't bring back Barberio, Slater is the next call up. DeAngelo is much different then any D we have so Cooper might play him if he feels his skillset is what the team needs. DeAngelo will also be 20 so not a teenager.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I'm almost hoping we stand pat, or at least only go for a cheap rental like Michalek who won't cost much, and then not make much noise in the offseason. Let the team gel, let the kids develop to see what we have on the horizon instead of giving out another five year contract that we may regret.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Agreed. I don't think that necessarily means DeAngelo will be fast-tracked to the NHL, but I do think the opportunity to be fast-tracked will be a little more open to him than other defensemen.

We've seen that Yzerman, despite being very patient, will move a guy up early if he thinks the move is warranted (Kucherov, Paquette last year). We also like to give guys spot starts to give them a taste of the NHL prior to their full blown rookie years. It's one spot where he deviates from the Red Wing model.

I think that's the most likely scenario for DeAngelo. Maybe not next year, but, looking at our right side, the door will be open for him. As an offensive RHD in Syracuse, he's going to get some premium opportunities. If he starts cashing in on those, he could move to the front of the line. His road is a lot easier than Koekkoek's.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
We need a vet stay at home vet Dman. More goals for and better PP would be cool ala Yandle. However, our problem is goals against and especially on the road. We already score enough goals. A younger Salo type player would be good.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
i thought both tony d and masin are eligible and thought maybe one other if correct to move to ahl?
DeAngelo, Masin, and Erne are all eligible. Peca, Darcy, and O'Donnell will be done with their college/CHL careers this season and will need contracts this spring to stay with the organization. Wilcox also has a choice to make about what he wants to do when his season ends.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If Yzerman does have something cooking, it wouldn't be a surprise to see him pull the trigger on it soon, given that we have a lot of time off to get a new body comfortable with the team.

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia

I personally think DeAngelo is one full season in the AHL away from being a full time resident on the Lightnings roster.

All of the recent reports on him have been extremely positive, most notabely the statement Mckenzie made when he said some along the lines of, DeAngelo was voted the best defensman in the OHL by the coaches. Also BP gave him massive praise for showing a lot more compsure since he was traded.

Despite all of the positives he's just to small. The weight he idealy needs to reach is probably two off-seasons of training away.

Look for a bottom pairing of Koekkoek and Gudas next season.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I'll be pretty shocked if we don't make a move. But I'll be more shocked if we make any great move that were all surprised by. I like our roster. I like our potential moving forward too. I think they can beat anybody. However the team is still a little young and inconsistent for my liking.

I wouldn't bet much on us going really far in the playoffs. However I certainly think it's possible and that the team has it in them. I think the key is getting home ice and Bishop. If we can get those right we can go far. With that said I do think Yzerman will try his best to make this team better and more tough to beat going forward this season. Here's to hoping we have a great finish!

Yzlamic Preacher*

I would like to submit a motion to officially nickname DeAngelo, "the D" or "the De".

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Michalek getting injured throws a monkey wrench into our plans, but I certainly still expect us to make some kind of move. Columbus has some D available, I think, but the ones we'd want to get might prove costly.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Michalek getting injured throws a monkey wrench into our plans, but I certainly still expect us to make some kind of move. Columbus has some D available, I think, but the ones we'd want to get might prove costly.

you can't get guys for nothing if stevie wants something he is going to have to part with something decent otherwise we stand pat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad