Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXI: Insert Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I think the trade in itself sucked, but in the broad picture, I don't think Gorton must be hanged for it because he wanted to jump start the rebuild. Not really sold on that he would have gotten less at the draft. Neither were rentals and should have returned more than super late 1st plus a B-tier prospect each. I think that was more or less what we got. And everything indicates that we did overrate Namestnikov just like we did with Etem. I think that -- pro scouting -- is something we can improve. JMHO.

Not willing to write off Howden and Hajak though. Besides when Lundkvist beats Lidström's Norris Trophy record all this debate will be mute. ;)

Bingo - that’s right, neither were rentals. The guy was our Captain and Miller was one of our few #1 picks and he actually contributed.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Management has a lot to do. The McDonagh trade came down to the last ten minutes after a long trade deadline. My theory is that the decisions on Kreider, Georgiev, DeAngelo, and Fast take priority over Strome.

Yeah I was thinking about this yesterday, there's no way there will be as much movement as some here want. Kreider and Fast are the only I would expect to get moved.

The others I just don't see it. Gorton may have conversations with teams now, and maybe they'll become deals that happen in the summer

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Strome for Jost and a 2nd ? Good Bad ?
I am indifferent on Jost. I definitely do not like him in a deal for Kreider at this point.

2nd and Jost would seem fair for Strome. Jost being a young NHL player supersedes the value of Madden which then bring the ask of a 1st round pick down to a 2nd.

I would then try and swing a deal of Georgiev to SJ, DET, MIN, CAR. I really like Labanc and Athanasiou. Greenway is unlikely, would require a decent add to Georgiev. Maybe you can use the 2nd from the Avs deal.

Regardless of Kreider situation who I would like to keep, you add Jost and likely Labanc to the middle 6. Much deeper team.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Jost shouldn't be a prospect to go after. Way too many questions marks. He's been banged up and never produced when given an opportunity. It would be like targeting a banged up Lias Andersson. Jost doesn't do anything for the Rangers.

rather go after Beecher from Bruins or someone with more potential and size especially when Rangers trade one of their bigger physical players. Id take a chance on Kaut but prefer a Kreider replacement at least with size skill that can play top 6

Reactions: charliemurphy

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
that’s a pretty bad job by Gordon then being the Captain was being traded along with 217lb former 1st Round draft choice Miller who on the cheap. He targeted a guy who is still on our backburner, the other is in Ottawa and we’re waiting on the prospect. Meanwhile Serg is playing for the Lightning.

Oh boy. Where do I begin?

1. Sergachev was never available. Complaining about this is as ridiculous as saying we didn't get McDavid for Spooner.

2. Why does Miller's weight matter? Miller didn't really perform when it mattered most, the post-season. That's more telling than what the scale points at when he's on it.

3. McDonagh's downside was his next contract. Can you imagine 7.5m AAV for 8 years? That's what you're looking at. Not really what I'd want. And it would have meant no Panarin.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The only guy I want for Kreider is Jake Debrusk. Boston wants Kreider badly and they want to resign him. If they do that they won’t have a spot for Debrusk anyway in their top 6.

don’t want a pick or a prospect. I want a straight up deal a signed Kreider for Debrusk. That’s literally the only deal that intrigues me

I feel like "I have completely unrealistic expectations for a Kreider deal" would've been easier to type.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Can the Rangers bring in Labanc and lock him up for 4 years @ $3.5 aav with him having a down year after he signed for $1 million aav banking on himself?

Labanc and Jost have RFA Status at years end. 24 and 21 years old respectively. They can probably play hardball with Jost to keep his aav down to get through next season. Both of their combined cap hit would likely equal Strome’s for next year at minimum, maybe even less. You also diversify the team better with a player like Labanc.

Reactions: Leetch3

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I feel like "I have completely unrealistic expectations for a Kreider deal" would've been easier to type.

thise aren’t my expectations that is the only guy I’d consider trading him for. Otherwise keeping him

I mean I’ve been going on all yeAr about how much I do not want Kreider dealt so obviously my request would be extremely high to consider it

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Yeah I do think the Toffoli trade helps us more on a potential return for Strome than Kreider.

I can’t see a scenario at this point where Strome returns less than a 1st.

Id still be surprised if Strome lands a 1st. I think a 2nd and B prospect is likely. I know Strome has more points than Toffoli and RFA status but we aren’t the only ones who know Strome is attached to Panarin. Toffoli has more NHL/playoff success.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Sell as high as you can on Strome. The value won't be any higher than it is at the moment.

I'm not sure if that's true, and I'm also not sure it would be wise to trade him, assuming we are going to trade Kreider.

I have to imagine that there are significant doubts as to whether or not Strome can continue to produce away from Panarin. Yes, he did pretty well at the end of last year without Panarin, but I don't see us getting for him what LA got for Toffoli. Toffoli has been a more consistent player over his career and has better numbers in terms of points and goals per game.

If we were to sign Strome to a 2 year x 5 mil contract, and he continues to produce next year, I can see his value being higher than it is now. It would be a bigger sample size of production and the extra year could add value.

Outside of that, I'm not sure it's in our best interest to trade him. If we trade both Kreider and Strome, that's 2 players lost from our top 6. Strome won't break the bank and he won't require a lot of term to re-sign. We can re-sign him and push that decision off to next year or the year after. Without both Kreider and Strome, we may end up pushing kids into roles for which they aren't ready.

If we aren't going to trade Kreider, then I would be okay with moving Strome, depending on the return. If all teams are offering is a late 2nd round pick, then it's really not worth it IMO.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
"But defenseman Libor Hajek, Tampa Bay’s 2016 second-rounder chosen at 37th overall, was the player the Rangers targeted. He is the player they had to have in the deal. He is also the player that then-GM Steve Yzerman would not trade unless Miller, who scored a power-play goal in the first period Wednesday, was included the offer."

https://nypost.com/2019/02/28/its-still-too-early-to-tell-whether-rangers-won-mcdonagh-trade/

I wouldn’t take that to mean Rangers preferred Hajek to Sergachev. I think Sergachev was just a flat “no” while TB would talk about Hajek. Brooks is often wrong and/or fed info. If he said “Howden was the forward they coveted” - I wouldn’t take that to mean they wanted Howden over Point.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
If Byram, Newhook, Debrusk, are names that some people are throwing out there for expected rental returns, there’s gonna be some really disappointed posters.
Yup, and there will definitely be some posters that will cry once the deal goes down and none of those players arent included. You don’t get a teams top Prospect for a rental. It doesn’t happen.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Kreider to Boston makes the most sense. He can play the big power forward role Nathan Horton played so well in 2011 and 2013 for them. Boston has all of their draft picks this year except the 4th rounder they traded for Johansson and all of their picks next year so they have something to offer. The Bruins were supposedly interested in Coleman, but he went to their division rivals. Friedman said earlier in the year that the Bruins were close to trading for Toffoli, and we know how that turned out. Fewer choices for Sweeney now. The Rangers aren't getting DeBrusk for Kreider but you'd think there's pressure on Sweeney now to add scoring help and Kreider is the best one out there. This has been his routine the last few seasons like when he acquired Nash, Johansson, Coyle. I read rumors about Boston maybe trading for Marleau and/or Thornton, but I don't know why you'd want to bring in two 40-year-olds when you already have an older core. I don't envy Gorton though if he really is trying to re-sign Kreider and at the same time considering trade offers for him. This could go down to the wire.

EDIT: lol now that I wrote all that I just read the post by Edge, Dallas does make sense too. They're always starving for offense. 25th in the league right now but tied for 1st in their division. Interesting.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Numbers are on the table for Kreider, still as much as a 8 figure gap on the value of the deal.

Don't rule out Dallas as a possible landing spot for Kreider.

Don't rule out Buch as a possible target for the Avs.

If Buch is going to the AVs, I want Newhook coming back. I'm sure some people would say that's unrealistic, but Buch is a cost controlled top 6 player who is only 24 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad