Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXI: Insert Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Well said. We're talking about one of the greatest Rangers of all-time here. For people to classify him as "just another player" is cold and ignorant. This isn't something that happened overnight - the writing was on the wall that this is where the situation was headed starting 2 years ago with "the letter." And despite grumblings and innuendo designed to manufacture drama from people who read a few too many hockey blogs, I think both the player and organization has handled it fine to this point. The biggest tragedy is there is seemingly no market for a 38 year old highly paid goaltender in the sunset of his career. I think we all would've felt better if Lundqvist could be traded to a contender and have a couple shots at the Cup he so richly deserves.

But this cold, calculating, too-cool-for-school attitude when it comes to handling Lundqvist's inevitable departure? That's just dumb when it comes to a player of Lundqvist's stature.
We have quite a few of these types on these forums and guess what guys no one's impressed.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
This is my take as well. Management must know that Georgie wont be staying. Why would they not want Hank to become 1b behind Shesty and let him run out his contract gracefully? Management dropped the ball big time on this.
I don’t mind this approach either - and it still might be the direction we go in.

Maybe Gorton is still showcasing Geo to try and up his value? Geo being moved at the draft is still something I could see happening.

Reactions: Siddi

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
This.

No matter how this ends, I think "Lundqvist sits on the bench with an $8.5M cap hit" is least likely. He has a right to want to do that. The Rangers have a right to buy him out.

What's slightly heartbreaking is I think what we're seeing right now is there's really no market for Lundqvist and his cap hit. A Ray Bourque-esque ride into the sunset seems really unlikely. It's up to the team and the player to make this prickly situation as painless as possible.
This whole conversation borders on insanity. When the Rangers signed Hank to the contract they had to know that potentially the latter years may be a problem but that is the nature of a LT contract in any sport. Look at the Yankees and Cole. Do you think the last 2 years will be the same as the first. My position is why many on this Board that deal in fantasy would like for Hank to ride into the sunset and forgo the money it ain't happening. In spite of what some say you can't force him into retirement. He has the leverage. Also I hate to tell you but I am sure in his mind he can still play at a high level and therefore he hasn't reached the end in his opinion. He is not hurt, hasn't been hurt a lot and can still help in the right situation.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
This whole conversation borders on insanity. When the Rangers signed Hank to the contract they had to know that potentially the latter years may be a problem but that is the nature of a LT contract in any sport. Look at the Yankees and Cole. Do you think the last 2 years will be the same as the first. My position is why many on this Board that deal in fantasy would like for Hank to ride into the sunset and forgo the money it ain't happening. In spite of what some say you can't force him into retirement. He has the leverage. Also I hate to tell you but I am sure in his mind he can still play at a high level and therefore he hasn't reached the end in his opinion. He is not hurt, hasn't been hurt a lot and can still help in the right situation.

As a fan of the guy, all I can say is I hope he winds up in a suitable landing spot (whether trade or post-buyout signing), and I hope it happens with limited acrimony.

That said, one thing is becoming clear despite the lack of a public pronouncement: the Rangers think they're better off without him and his large cap hit on the books next season. Nostalgia aside, they're probably right.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Re:Hank

We don't owe him anything, if anything he owed the organization another year of 8.5 million worth of hockey, if he can't deliver that then it's the teams perogative to buy him out in the interest of the team, he should see this coming and tell them he will accept a trade, and yes I realize he has a NTC but he also hasnt lived up to being an 8.5 mill player the last year. I love hank but the organization has moved on from him so he should ask for that trade. He has been paid well over his career by this team, he has given us lots of highlights but it is in the best interest of both parties to move on and the team would do pretty much anything to accommodate that move, retain salary, pick of places to go, retire a ranger after and probably some employment for life with the Rangers. It's time and if he wants to be a part of a winning rangers organization after his hockey days are done this is the best way to accelerate that.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Sucks that it has to end like this for Hank, but I fully believe that Gorton will not let Hank’s legacy block him from making what he deems to be the best move for the team. Whether it be a buy out, trade, whatever, I don’t think he’s going to think over these moves with a “we wanna do what’s best for Hank” mindset. It’s gonna be a “we’re gonna do what’s best for the Rangers, even if it pisses some people off” mindset.

Reactions: jas

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
1. Igor is the clear starter Imo and if you look at both Hank and Georgiev's numebers they're basically the same, their advanced stats as well.
2. Georgiev is a RFA after this year and will def get a raise, Igor is under contract for two. Gonna have to pay both sooner rather then later.
3. A fair point but I personally believe both Fast and Kreider are gone at the tdl and good chance Strome is gone between now and the draft. Also as I said in my original post the savings on a Hank trade/buy-out almost all that money will go to Georgiev anyway.
4. I think we're just prolonging the obvious choice then. Georgiev's value seems very high rn I don't think it gets much higher.
5. I agree Wall looks like he can be a decent backup in the future, but if he isnt ready in 2 years we can sign another backup for the future.
6. As I said in the first point Igor and Hank is basically the same as Igor and Georgiev. As for beyond 2020-2021 I trust our org and Allaire to be able to find a good backup in the future as we have done in the past with Talbot and Raanta and now Georgiev.

If you see Hank and Georgiev as equals right now, why would you keep the more expensive, older, lower asset value player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad