Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXI: Insert Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
that’s a pretty bad job by Gordon then being the Captain was being traded along with 217lb former 1st Round draft choice Miller who on the cheap. He targeted a guy who is still on our backburner, the other is in Ottawa and we’re waiting on the prospect. Meanwhile Serg is playing for the Lightning.

Sergachev was not available from day 1. That has nothing to do with Gorton. He took the best deal he could get. It’s really Sathers fault that we were hemmed up with so many bad contracts that JG had no choice regarding McDonagh.

But let’s not forget he turned Nash into a 1st, Lindgren, and Spooner - now Strome, a piece that could fetch another 1st.

Expecting a massive win in every deal is absolutely unrealistic. Sometimes you have to take the best deal you could get and some of those you win, some you lose, and some it’s a draw.

This deadline will be the biggest yet for Gorton, because there are no clear cut decisions like there were in years past

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Sergachev was not available from day 1. That has nothing to do with Gorton. He took the best deal he could get. It’s really Sathers fault that we were hemmed up with so many bad contracts that JG had no choice regarding McDonagh.

But let’s not forget he turned Nash into a 1st, Lindgren, and Spooner - now Strome, a piece that could fetch another 1st.

Expecting a massive win in every deal is absolutely unrealistic. Sometimes you have to take the best deal you could get and some of those you win, some you lose, and some it’s a draw.
Also, Hajek just turned 22 years old and play defense. I'm not ready to throw in the towel on him yet.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

I believe Gordon could have moved those pieces at the draft and did not have to make that trade.

yes, I liked the Nash deal despite wanting DeBrusk. We’ll see what Strome returns yet wondering if arbitration for one year is better than what Gordon may move him for.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Colorado has an incredibly young team. A majority of their players have very few playoff series under their belts, let alone a trip to the final.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I'm suspect that Strome is worth a 1st but if you can move him for a package similar to what LA just got for Toffoli, you have to do it.

Madden would be probably our 3rd/4th best forward prospect right now, and a 2nd is always good to have. If they get anything more than that, it's gravy

Strome is a pump and dump value guy, I just am not sure the team will trade him in the next week
Strome is a year and a few months younger than Toffoli with RFA status. He has had the better year even if its partly due to playing with Panarin. He has been the better Even Strength player than Toffoli...35 points compared to Toffoli’s 27. I am trying to avoid the PP points since Strome can have an advantage there with Panarin on the ice. He has 14 extra points there. Strome has averaged 19 minutes per night, which will likely go down on another team so that could be a positive or negative affect for his production. I think positive because before this season he never eclipsed 16 minutes per game. He already has his 4th highest total in minutes played in his career...he may need the minutes scaled back to help his energy level. But the final point to all this is he is capable of playing center which Toffoli does not do. He can play center and wing.

Trade him now. Get a 1st plus prospect.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Toffoli has 34 points this year.

Strome has 50 points with RFA status.

TRADE STROME ASAP

Yea I’m thinking this is a good idea

Need some players that can step in now if Kreider , Strome , Fast all go

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Sell as high as you can on Strome. The value won't be any higher than it is at the moment.

You also get a 20 game audition of Chytil as the 2C, which this team needs to know if he can handle that role moving forward, and honestly if Brett Howden can play center as well. If Howden is a winger, which I'm starting to think he's more and more likely to be, we're talking about needing to get another center for next season. Can't hope on anyone else in the organization taking those roles. Even if Chytil is the 2C, you need a 3rd line center, even with Howden or potentially Andersson coming back for training camp. This organization cannot move into next season with gaping holes in those spots. Greg McKegg is not going to cut it when we're trying to actively get into the postseason.

There should be some movement this offseason. Lots of disappointing teams that want to shake things up. We used to be that team moving those pieces around and out of the organization. Hopefully we're the team taking advantage of the disappointments of the league.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I believe Gordon could have moved those pieces at the draft and did not have to make that trade.

yes, I liked the Nash deal despite wanting DeBrusk. We’ll see what Strome returns yet wondering if arbitration for one year is better than what Gordon may move him for.

Yah well I want a Ferrari. But sometimes we have to stick with what’s realistic and DeBrusk was not realistic at the time, neither was trading McDonagh at the draft. It would have resulted in less of a return.

But that’s in the past and I have full confidence Gorton will do well at this deadline. Like I said, how he does this year should be where people judge him. This year has more judgement calls, more options, more moving pieces than any year before it.

Reactions: NYSPORTS and Trxjw

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Sell as high as you can on Strome. The value won't be any higher than it is at the moment.

You also get a 20 game audition of Chytil as the 2C, which this team needs to know if he can handle that role moving forward, and honestly if Brett Howden can play center as well. If Howden is a winger, which I'm starting to think he's more and more likely to be, we're talking about needing to get another center for next season. Can't hope on anyone else in the organization taking those roles. Even if Chytil is the 2C, you need a 3rd line center, even with Howden or potentially Andersson coming back for training camp. This organization cannot move into next season with gaping holes in those spots. Greg McKegg is not going to cut it when we're trying to actively get into the postseason.

There should be some movement this offseason. Lots of disappointing teams that want to shake things up. We used to be that team moving those pieces around and out of the organization. Hopefully we're the team taking advantage of the disappointments of the league.

Yup, and we need to clear space if Gorton is going to be able to pull off a 16m offer sheet to Barzal. ;)

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Yup, and we need to clear space if Gorton is going to be able to pull off a 16m offer sheet to Barzal. ;)
Yea that is a war we should not be starting with anyone given how many young players we have that will be coming off ELCs.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Like I said, how he does this year should be where people judge him. This year has more judgement calls, more options, more moving pieces than any year before it.

this is the most important trade deadline of his tenure IMO. We need a significant addition IMO. Meaning a top prospect ready to go next year (meaning October). I don’t care if they have to throw in Lundkvist to get him either

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Avs recalled Kaut. Doesn't mean anything trade wise but shows that they think he's played well enough after a terrible start to deserve a call up.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Avs recalled Kaut. Doesn't mean anything trade wise but shows that they think he's played well enough after a terrible start to deserve a call up.

showcase for a Hank trade. wishful thinking most likely Kreider

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Depends on what the offer for Strome is, and what his contract ask is. NYR haven't discussed contract with him (At least that has been reported) so that makes me skeptical that they'd move him now as opposed to the offseason.

Management has a lot to do. The McDonagh trade came down to the last ten minutes after a long trade deadline. My theory is that the decisions on Kreider, Georgiev, DeAngelo, and Fast take priority over Strome.

I have seen enough in Chytil's play to think he's ready to center Panarin next season. But his faceoffs are a concern. Panarin-Chytil-Strome has real potential as a second line, with Strome taking the faceoffs.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Yah well I want a Ferrari. But sometimes we have to stick with what’s realistic and DeBrusk was not realistic at the time, neither was trading McDonagh at the draft. It would have resulted in less of a return.

But that’s in the past and I have full confidence Gorton will do well at this deadline. Like I said, how he does this year should be where people judge him. This year has more judgement calls, more options, more moving pieces than any year before it.

I think the trade in itself sucked, but in the broad picture, I don't think Gorton must be hanged for it because he wanted to jump start the rebuild. Not really sold on that he would have gotten less at the draft. Neither were rentals and should have returned more than super late 1st plus a B-tier prospect each. I think that was more or less what we got. And everything indicates that we did overrate Namestnikov just like we did with Etem. I think that -- pro scouting -- is something we can improve. JMHO.

Not willing to write off Howden and Hajak though. Besides when Lundkvist beats Lidström's Norris Trophy record all this debate will be mute. ;)

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The only guy I want for Kreider is Jake Debrusk. Boston wants Kreider badly and they want to resign him. If they do that they won’t have a spot for Debrusk anyway in their top 6.

don’t want a pick or a prospect. I want a straight up deal a signed Kreider for Debrusk. That’s literally the only deal that intrigues me

Reactions: Leetch3

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
The only guy I want for Kreider is Jake Debrusk. Boston wants Kreider badly and they want to resign him. If they do that they won’t have a spot for Debrusk anyway in their top 6.

don’t want a pick or a prospect. I want a straight up deal a signed Kreider for Debrusk. That’s literally the only deal that intrigues me

Agree, and I just mentioned I wanted DeBrusk in the Nash deal. We need a player ready to go come October or earlier IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad