Speculation: Roster Building Thread XLVII: June Swoon or a 1st rounder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I don't think anyone who signs him will be discussing him in year 2 of his contract the way we are talking about G & Staal in year 2/3 of theirs.

In a way, you could argue every FA signing approaching 30 will be bad on the tail end of the contract. With Yandle, I at least think the first 4-5 years will be real good.

When the Rangers signed Staal and Girardi to their extensions there was not a huge outcry from the fans? So why wouldn't there be the same angst with Yandle by the end of the first or second year of the contract? There were more positive than negative feelings about Girardi than Staal. Now both of them are blights to the organization.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
The Rangers had 8 forwards this season produce primary points at a 2nd line rate or above this season.

Please, tell me again how the offense is the problem with this team?

Protip: If "points per 20" is more up your alley, please keep in mind that the dot placement on the cart will remain unchanged, and feel free to divide all #s by 3.

EDIT - Further, this is why I'm so perplexed about people wishing to blow this team up. When people believe that the offense is a problem. There are problems with this team, and they are:

1. The defense is complete trash
2. The coach makes mind-boggling decisions with his personnel.

Both easily fixed. Both do not require shipping out great pieces to build a team around like Stepan, Brassard, Zuccarello, etc...

With all the talk in the few posts prior to mine of losing Keith Yandle, do you not think the offense will take a hit next season and become problematic when we lose our best offensive defenseman?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If Boston can't find a way to make it work with Khoko, I'd absolutely try to snag him. Over a ppg in the AHL this past season, had a cup of coffee in the NHL. If we move Brassard or Stepan, he can step into the 3C slot and be a Russian buddy for Buchnevich.

Khokhlachev's already signed with Shesterkin's team SKA Petersburg for next year.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
One NHL talent evaluator compared Fabbro to Kevin Shattenkirk at the same age. The Rangers land a mid 1st and hopefully they can land Fabbro. Brooks wrote the Rangers don't want to pay Shattenkirk 6 years and $39M to keep him off the market next summer. Maybe they try to get Honka again or draft Fabbro or McAvoy with an acquired #1.

The Rangers dont want to trade for him and re-sign him, or just sign him at all?

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
There is zero upside to letting Yandle walk. We arent acquiring, signing or developing a defenseman that compensates for that kind of loss. I personally believe that Yandle would sign at less than 100% his market value to stay here. He is our #1 offensive threat from the blue line, and we need to add a #1b (Shattenkirk, Barrie, Vatanen, etc) to that, making McD #3. I'm surprised and troubled by lack of news on developments on contract talks.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
When the Rangers signed Staal and Girardi to their extensions there was not a huge outcry from the fans? So why wouldn't there be the same angst with Yandle by the end of the first or second year of the contract? There were more positive than negative feelings about Girardi than Staal. Now both of them are blights to the organization.

If I remember correctly, only a small minority were against extending both of them. The mindset of the team was different. The Rangers were chasing a Cup. Who would have stepped in and eaten Girardi's minutes in 2014? Staal's in 2015? Hindsight is 20/20.

I don't think many people saw Girardi trending down as severely as he has. I think most expected him to drop off a bit from a top pairing minutes mucher to a 2nd pairing defenseman, but who saw him going from a borderline top pairing defenseman to a bottom pairing one a season later? Girardi's demise has been sudden and shocking.

Staal is what he is. He really hasn't been dominant since his eye injury and concussion from 2012-13. He can still be a good #3-4 option when paired with a good transitional partner that can move the puck well. He was more inconsistent this past season, but his overall level of play didn't really decrease that much. He still has value in a trade if he'll waive his no move.

Yandle would be more of the same. Remember Wade Redden? Redden got a lot of hate here, but I blame Sather for him. He got paid like a top pairing defenseman when it was obvious that he was a middle pairing defenseman. Yandle puts up the points, but half of the Rangers fanbase will be cursing him for his defensive mistakes, and he makes plenty.

The Rangers shouldn't be signing anyone over 28 to a long term contract. Period. Re-tool and see what you have in 2-3 years time, and go from there.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Girardi wasnt a top pair defenseman. He's been bad for quite some time and has been carried by McDonagh and Staal, Comparing him and Yandle is foolish

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
One of the easiest ways to 'retool' in today's NHL is to sign/trade for a bunch of players who are UFA's next year that will hold value at the deadline and then trade them when values are crazy high. If Gorton wants to re-stock the system quickly, that's an easy way to do it. Doubt they are that smart.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Girardi wasnt a top pair defenseman. He's been bad for quite some time and has been carried by McDonagh and Staal, Comparing him and Yandle is foolish

The only comparison between the two is that they are considered warriors because they never miss a game (Girardi missed a few in recent years though). Yandle has not missed a single reg. season game since 2009

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
If Boston can't find a way to make it work with Khoko, I'd absolutely try to snag him. Over a ppg in the AHL this past season, had a cup of coffee in the NHL. If we move Brassard or Stepan, he can step into the 3C slot and be a Russian buddy for Buchnevich.

I believer he signed a KHL deal already.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Sorry, went to lunch.

A season that you aren't beating down the door to win a cup isn't a throw away season. Your solution to buy him out is, in fact, all about this season. You're trying to gain cap space right now while downplaying the fact that you'll have to recoup that somehow the following year when Girardi's cap hit goes up.

The Rangers are going to lose a player in the expansion draft no matter what they do. Even without Girardi, they're going to lose a player. They cannot protect all of their D and will have to expose one of McIlrath or Klein no matter what happens. What they aren't going to lose is a irreplaceable piece. I don't see the point in getting up in arms about it until we get all of the information.

I don't think you can ever have too many veterans who provide leadership and the ability to mentor the kids. I think Girardi's game, at least in his prime, mimics a lot of what McIlrath projects to be. He has 10 years of experience going head to head with some of the best players in the NHL. Those are the kind of things he can pass on to someone. I'm pretty certain he has some unique insight that the others might not have.

Just because they're going to lose a player doesn't make having to protect Girardi any less ridiculous of a notion. McIlrath should not be lost for nothing in an expansion draft.

Did he prove it though? I admit AV kept him on an awfully short leash, but he certainly had plenty of bad moments to go with the good. I think, generously, he played 50% of his time at what I would consider a proven top-4 level. I know, my eyes are biased, but I think he needs a lot of work in a number of areas, and I have a hard time seeing him learning that when he's thrown into the deep end.

I think, without question, that McIlrath was at times this teams second best right-handed option on the blueline. The fact that he didn't prove it enough to satisfy some fans is completely on the shoulders of AV for removing him from the lineup for extended periods of time "just because".

With all the talk in the few posts prior to mine of losing Keith Yandle, do you not think the offense will take a hit next season and become problematic when we lose our best offensive defenseman?

Absolutely, but you can try and mitigate that by putting defensemen who can get the pucks to the forwards into the lineup.

- Yandle
- Boyle
- Girardi
+ McIlrath full-time
+ Skjei full-tim

The Yandle loss is huge. Losing Girardi and Boyle is addition by subtraction. Allowing McIlrath and Skjei to play, who are much more suited for AV hockey than G and Boyle is definitely a gain.

Mitigate losses by making smart personnel decisions.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Just because they're going to lose a player doesn't make having to protect Girardi any less ridiculous of a notion. McIlrath should not be lost for nothing in an expansion draft.

At that point Klein will be 32 and have one year remaining on his deal. Wouldn't be the end of the world if Vegas took him and the Rangers protected McIlrath. Or they could trade him at the deadline for a player they don't care about protecting and a pick or two.

I think, without question, that McIlrath was at times this teams second best right-handed option on the blueline. The fact that he didn't prove it enough to satisfy some fans is completely on the shoulders of AV for removing him from the lineup for extended periods of time "just because".

Whole-heartedly disagree. McIlrath played himself out of the lineup on several occasions. AV made some bad choices, but he made correct ones as well.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
At that point Klein will be 32 and have one year remaining on his deal. Wouldn't be the end of the world if Vegas took him and the Rangers protected McIlrath. Or they could trade him at the deadline for a player they don't care about protecting and a pick or two.

Right, but the question here shouldn't be that we have to expose both of them and hope LV doesn't pick one of them, but that one of them should be protected and Girardi should be anywhere else.

Whole-heartedly disagree. McIlrath played himself out of the lineup on several occasions. AV made some bad choices, but he made correct ones as well.

Outside of his games where he was paired with Boyle (which is another place where AV ****ed up), where they were a complete trainwreck of a pair, I disagree. Happy to agree to disagree here, though.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I think it's pretty clear the organization plans to keep G and hope he rebounds this year...

He either does and they can actually trade him (or even keep him if he plays well enough *covers ears to avoid hearing loud shrieks*)

or...

they buy him out next yr.

It's not a terrible plan really.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
There is zero upside to letting Yandle walk. We arent acquiring, signing or developing a defenseman that compensates for that kind of loss. I personally believe that Yandle would sign at less than 100% his market value to stay here. He is our #1 offensive threat from the blue line, and we need to add a #1b (Shattenkirk, Barrie, Vatanen, etc) to that, making McD #3. I'm surprised and troubled by lack of news on developments on contract talks.

What cap space are we signing him with?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
As has been suggested on here many times, some combination of moving Staal/Girardi/Nash, savings from Boyle, and responsible RFA signings.

It isn't a sure thing that we'll be able to move any of them, and there's no telling how much cap we'd end up retaining or taking back from the other team.

The Rangers need to deal with that stuff first before they even think about re-signing Yandle, otherwise they will hurt their bargaining position with other GMs. Those GMs will know that we have to clear cap and will hold us over a barrel.

In either case, I don't think Yandle will be re-signed. It doesn't seem like management feels he will be worth the contract he will get.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I think it's pretty clear the organization plans to keep G and hope he rebounds this year...

He either does and they can actually trade him (or even keep him if he plays well enough *covers ears to avoid hearing loud shrieks*)

or...

they buy him out next yr.

It's not a terrible plan really.

they really don't have any other options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad