Speculation: Roster Building Thread XLVI: Dog Days Pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
If Yandle cannot be resigned or they have no intention of negotiating with him, trade his rights at the draft for a 4th or 5th rounder and take a boom or bust high skilled European.

I'd even do Yandle's rights and Glass for a 7th.

NYRangers3061

Lets Go Rangers!!!
Jan 9, 2015
Rangerstown
If Yandle cannot be resigned or they have no intention of negotiating with him, trade his rights at the draft for a 4th or 5th rounder and take a boom or bust high skilled European.

I'd even do Yandle's rights and Glass for a 7th.

If I'm not mistaken, teams can talk to potential free agents before the draft. I could very easily be wrong on that, but I could've sworn I saw it somewhere. It does happen, but very rarely. Last few cases I remember was Niemi to Dallas and Boyle to the Islanders.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Well. That's out of left field. :laugh:

I wonder why the Cats added another center with Barkov, Bjugstad and Trocheck on the roster already.

Edit: Also, I know Gudbranson is an analytics **** show, but he's a decent 2nd pairing defender who was being considered as the next team captain. This seems really weird all around.

Last edited:

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Kevin Allen of USA Today wrote this after the Rangers lost to Pittsburgh

Jeff Gorton has been the New York Rangers’ general manager since July 1 and this summer it’s truly going to become his team.

The Glen Sather era ended with the Rangers’ five-game first-round series loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins on Saturday. Since the 2011-12 season, the Rangers have reached the conference finals twice, the Stanley Cup Final once, winning 40 playoff games. But the Rangers, even with Henrik Lundqvist playing at a high level, appear to be on the downswing.

Now Gorton’s job is to revitalize the roster, to make enough significant changes to start a launch of a new era in New York. This will be his time to put his touch on the team.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-jeff-gorton-girardi-nash-vigneault/83467086/

:thumbu:

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA

I wonder why the Cats added another center with Barkov, Bjugstad and Trocheck on the roster already.

Edit: Also, I know Gudbranson is an analytics **** show, but he's a decent 2nd pairing defender who was being considered as the next team captain. This seems really weird all around.

That's just a bad trade for the Canucks.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
The point of that post was to illustrate that I think people are heavily overrating draft picks here. At a certain threshold, yes, trading too many is probably bad. The Rangers are probably at said threshold. I'd imagine that since guys like Gordie are saying it needs to stop, that it might actually stop.

Please do not confuse future silence on my part as me not having to say anything on this matter. I ****ed up posting in this thread in the first place. Thought it was the Staal thread. I want nothing to do with the circular arguments that take place in this thread every day of the off-season.

Bye!

its a numbers game.. you want more picks because they = more prospects which = better odds/chances of them being impact players for the rangers..

but i am with you in the sense that we went all in and gave it our best shot to win the hardest trophy in all of sports.. we came oh so close and i am happy we did what we did.. i have confidence in our staff will retool this thing and get us going back to the top

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

I think that trade shows you the value of defensemen that can play 22-24 minutes a night.

Gudbranson is a more than serviceable 2nd pair defenseman, but he's not an impact player. IMO he's an anchor D on your third pair and penalty kill on a cup contending team that dominates lower level competition or a very reliable 2nd pair guy on a playoff team provided he's got some insulation.

The Canucks traded a 2014 first that they hit on later in the round whose a center with 2nd/3rd line upside on an ELC for 2 more years. An early 2nd this year, and 4th.

The Cats cleared $3.5M off the cap, have a ready made replacement in Petrovic who will do similar if not the same exact job as Gudbranson on a cheaper deal.

Goes to show you what a shortage in commodities can do to a trade market. Simple supply and demand economics.

(See Russel trade price, the 2 2nd round picks for Roman Polak, etc)

Now I now the group think narrative on this board really tends to repeat itself like a religious reading session, but how many of you honestly believe that the Rangers would retain $3-5M in dead space through trades or buyouts to rid the team of your whipping boys for the next 2-8 years?

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I bet Florida flips McCann for another asset.

Rick Nash for a package around Tricky Nicky Bjugstad?

Trochek is good enough and was good enough to be their 2nd line center. They relegated Bjugstad's role this past year and need another scorer on their roster.

Their defense is in solid shape.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Rick Nash for a package around Tricky Nicky Bjugstad?

Trochek is good enough and was good enough to be their 2nd line center. They relegated Bjugstad's role this past year and need another scorer on their roster.

Their defense is in solid shape.

I would definitely consider that. Bjugstad is so big and strong. Would he and the 23rd overall be enough of a package for Nash with a bit of salary retained?

I'd do it, honestly.

MacTruck27

May 17, 2014

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Oh god I hope that Post article is wrong. Please dear god let it be wrong. Teams gonna be a ****ing lottery team next season

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I was hoping to see RB post Uncle Larry's latest article. Says everyone's on the table except Hank, Buch & Skjei.

http://nypost.com/2016/05/25/you-might-not-recognize-anyone-on-the-rangers-next-season/

Takeaways:

-Dan Girardi will be a Ranger next season, no matter what

-Everyone except Lundqvist, Skjei, and Buchnevich are available

-The Rangers are going to go hard for Jimmy Vesey

-It is very likely that Nash gets traded this summer, but the Rangers will have to retain salary

-The Rangers will be very busy on the trade market, not in the UFA market.

-Rangers will most likely wait until Shattenkirk becomes a UFA next summer, but he may price out regardless

-The Rangers are not likely to make a play for Stamkos

Did I miss anything?

Honestly, other than Girardi being an immovable boat anchor, I like it.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The jokes they just write themselves at this point. Logic clearly doesn't resonate with the people who run this team if these things are true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad