Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Continue.

Previous thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2078729

dog-star-constellation.jpg

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
TIL that because Kevan Miller (a bottom pairing defenseman) signed for $2.5m/yr, this means it will be possible to move Dan Girardi (a worse defenseman) even though he makes $5.5m/yr.

I don't think what the Bruins did was good by any means, but my point was that I wouldn't start drawing conclusions on our ability to move G and Staal based on that transaction.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Funny that you mentioned Rattie, Rasp. I was gonna suggest him as another depth RH-forward target. I want him or Colton Sceviour

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Boston traded Lucic with one year remaining on his contract with a $6M cap hit and $6.5M salary. Boston retained $2.75M. Lucic to LA for 13th pick overall,Martin Jones and Kevan Miller. Boston sent Jones to San Jose for their 1st in 2016 and Sean Kuraly. The San Jose pick will be #27-#30. Boston re-signed Miller to a 4 year contract worth $10M today. Boston was not going to re-sign Lucic. Boston retained 46%.

Boston missed the playoffs in 14-15 and in 15-16.

Boston got more in return by retaining nearly 50%.

The Rangers might have to do the same with Nash. $16.2M in combined salary. $7.8M cap hit.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News answered a question in a reader mailbag

Question: Who is the Stars starting goaltender in October?

Heika: It's so hard to guess on this. Jim Nill made a hard push for Cam Talbot last summer and couldn't make it work. I heard the Rangers only wanted to talk about Julius Honka and no other player.

So that forced him to move to another plan.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dal...young-players-rise-affect-stars-goalie-search

The Rangers love Honka. The Rangers planted their flag in Cedar Park,Texas scouting the Stars AHL affiliate during the season.

Do the Rangers make another push for Honka this summer?

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Boston traded Lucic with one year remaining on his contract with a $6M cap hit and $6.5M salary. Boston retained $2.75M. Lucic to LA for 13th pick overall,Martin Jones and Kevan Miller. Boston sent Jones to San Jose for their 1st in 2016 and Sean Kuraly. The San Jose pick will be #27-#30. Boston re-signed Miller to a 4 year contract worth $10M today. Boston was not going to re-sign Lucic. Boston retained 46%.

The Rangers might have to do the same with Nash. $16.2M in combined salary. $7.8M cap hit.

Slight tweak in that it was Colin Miller. Who looks like a pretty decent prospect.

Lucic level return for Nash would be ok.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Well the Rangers have been linked to Barrie, Honka, Shattenkirk. So at least they have some clue as to what they need defensively. If only they didn't have a fascination with SAHD.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News answered a question in a reader mailbag

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dal...young-players-rise-affect-stars-goalie-search

The Rangers love Honka. The Rangers planted their flag in Cedar Park,Texas scouting the Stars AHL affiliate during the season.

Do the Rangers make another push for Honka this summer?

Still hard to believe that after all rumors around the return for Talbot, they walked away with a 2nd, 3rd, and a 7th.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

That was Colin Miller in the Lucic trade.

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
Marc Staal for Marian Gaborik and Rob Scuderi is an interesting trade. I think I would do it, maybe LA retains 1m of Gaborik's cap hit. We could add something to compensate. I think that would be a decent move, especially if we either buyout Girardi or trade him away for a bad contract with lesser term.

Gaborik could be a solid depth guy for us that can produce when healthy and play anywhere in the top 9. Scuderi has only one year remaining on his contract at 2 million less than Marc Staal. Then I would look to move Nash for a young top 6 forward (ala Brassard caliber when we got him in 2013) and a prospect/pick. Recoup some assets and give the team some breathing room down the road.

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
Gaborik has 4 more years at almost $5 million cap hit. Contract takes him to age 38.

No thanks.

He would come at a million retained in my proposal. 3.85m per. That's a moveable contract. If he stops producing the buyout will not be an albatross by any means and a team trying to reach the floor would certainly take a flyer on a player like Gaborik for under 4 million at 2 years or 1. We need better asset management on this team. Bang for buck value. Trade that value before it is eclipsed. It's not a large risk and having a guy like Gaborik in an offensive system like AVs is better than having Marc Staal and nearly 6 million tied up on the blue line

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
He would come at a million retained in my proposal. 3.85m per. That's a moveable contract. If he stops producing the buyout will not be an albatross by any means and a team trying to reach the floor would certainly take a flyer on a player like Gaborik for under 4 million at 2 years or 1. We need better asset management on this team. Bang for buck value. Trade that value before it is eclipsed. It's not a large risk and having a guy like Gaborik in an offensive system like AVs is better than having Marc Staal and nearly 6 million tied up on the blue line

He's averaged like 50 games played per season for the last 4 years. Be a waste of cap space. The Rangers should be able to get value for Staal with out taking back a contract If,the retain $1.7.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Sign me up for Honka please. If they can't retain Demers, do you think they'd be interested in Klein? Their forwards are set, but their defense is very much up in the air with Goligoski and Demers up for new contracts.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Honka would be a very solid addition.

The Lucic and Kessel deals are good examples of what Nash will most likely return. He will return more than what many are expecting. Especially when retaining salary like I'm sure they will.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
TIL that because Kevan Miller (a bottom pairing defenseman) signed for $2.5m/yr, this means it will be possible to move Dan Girardi (a worse defenseman) even though he makes $5.5m/yr.

I don't think what the Bruins did was good by any means, but my point was that I wouldn't start drawing conclusions on our ability to move G and Staal based on that transaction.

my point was people greatly overestimate these GMs.

Boston now has a Girardi equivalent cap hit tied up in Miller and McQuiad who are both bad.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
my point was people greatly overestimate these GMs.

Boston now has a Girardi equivalent cap hit tied up in Miller and McQuiad who are both bad.

It's not really the same thing. First off if's split between two players that's twice the amount you can bury in the AHL (925k or so per player). Additionally more teams will be willing to trade for and take a chance on them since they can actually acquire them and fit them under the cap significantly easier. There is significantly more flexibility in having two players signed to similar contracts for 2.5M per than one player signed to a contract for 5M.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Still hard to believe that after all rumors around the return for Talbot, they walked away with a 2nd, 3rd, and a 7th.

Further proof the failures of this past season started early. Gorton blew it bug time with Talbot. And the abysmal trade for etem

NikC

Oct 7, 2008

Further proof the failures of this past season started early. Gorton blew it big time with Talbot. And the abysmal trade for etem

I can understand AV coming back.. but the other 2 as well?

Not good. Gorton. Bad so far...

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Further proof the failures of this past season started early. Gorton blew it big time with Talbot. And the abysmal trade for etem

Again.. Gorton wasn't the GM until July.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

Wasn't Sather still the GM for those trades?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad