Speculation: Roster Building Thread XLIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Time to get creative.

Chris Kreider + Ryan Graves for Jonathan Drouin ---> Tampa won't make this trade
Marc Staal + Boo Nieves for Jonas Brodin --->:laugh: is Minnys reaction
sign Drake Caggiula ---> We aren't on his short list IIRC
sign Jason Demers ---> I am open to this
sign Jason Chimera ---> The dude is old. No thanks.
buyout Girardi ---> Sure.

Drouin Brassard Nash
Miller Stepan Zuccarello
Buchnevich Hayes Caggiula
Chimera Lindberg Fast

McDonagh Demers
Skjei Klein
Brodin McIlrath

See above.

You have Brodin on the bottom pair???

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Graves played mostly the left side in the AHL. He played the right side in Junior. Skjei was playing the left but the Rangers put him on the right side a few months ago. Bodie can also play both sides. He was Skjei's partner the 2nd half of the season. The Rangers need to rebuild the blueline. They really need to rebuild the entire team. Target young D in trades and in the first round. If the Rangers can get a mid first round pick. Charles McAvoy from BU. I saw him a few times. Right handed shooting D. Long Beach. Steve Greeley. He can skate. Can move the puck. Honka in Dallas. McCoshen in Florida. He has not turned pro yet. Staal. Klein. Try to turn them into a younger D like Anaheim did with Lovejoy for Despres. Honka needs to be protected in the expansion draft. Be open to anything. You look at the 1979 Rangers team. That was a very young group. Management broke up the early 1970's and went young. They had a few vets in Esposito,Vadnais and Tkaczuk. Go young across the board.

Would love to add all 3 of those defensemen if possible. McCoshen and McAvoy both fit that mold I was talking about earlier: big, mobile, American defensemen. Honka is tiny, but he just put up 44 points in 73 AHL games as a 20 year old, and the newer crop of Finnish defenseman have shown to be very smart defensively and with the puck.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Graves played mostly the left side in the AHL. He played the right side in Junior. Skjei was playing the left but the Rangers put him on the right side a few months ago. Bodie can also play both sides. He was Skjei's partner the 2nd half of the season. The Rangers need to rebuild the blueline. They really need to rebuild the entire team. Target young D in trades and in the first round. If the Rangers can get a mid first round pick. Charles McAvoy from BU. I saw him a few times. Right handed shooting D. Long Beach. Steve Greeley. He can skate. Can move the puck. Honka in Dallas. McCoshen in Florida. He has not turned pro yet. Staal. Klein. Try to turn them into a younger D like Anaheim did with Lovejoy for Despres. Honka needs to be protected in the expansion draft. Be open to anything. You look at the 1979 Rangers team. That was a very young group. Management broke up the early 1970's and went young. They had a few vets in Esposito,Vadnais and Tkaczuk. Go young across the board.

theres no need to "rebuild the entire team". not even close. they need to retool for age.

with mcdonagh, mcilrath, skjei already on the defense roster we are relatively young now.

i mean, there are 6 spots available and we have 3 guys under 26 including inc. our capt.

klein is 31 and yandle and staal are 29. they arent fossils yet.

those 6 average 6'2 1/2 and 208 lbs and average age is 27 yrs old.

this defense without girardi and boyle and with skjei and mcilrath full time is actually pretty young, pretty big and not atrocious now. add a fleet puck mover as your 7th guy.

getting younger makes sense, it really does. I'm all in on that one but its the forwards now that need to be addressed. we need younger feet who have soft hands and heads that arent full of rocks.

this team has big slow guys and small fast guys and most have hands of stone. needs to change.

glass is 32. same with nash. estaal is 31 and dom moore 35.

thats the 4 guys that probably need to go.

dump dan girardi. trade rick nash. play marc staal on the 3rd pair where he belongs. add buchnevich and a kid like caggiula from no dak and play the rest of the forwards where they belong.

were not that far off.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Looks like the brain trust heads west next week for the yearly meeting at the Sather Compound:

https://www.sny.tv/rangers/news/the...-meetings-next-week-in-palm-springs/176360104

http://translate.google.com/transla...un-vote-de-confiance-pour-alain-vigneault.php

Just a quote from the interview with AV, which was in french and of course things can get scrambled within translation, but might as well post it:

"For sure there will be changes. I do not know if we can talk about big changes, because in today's reality, it is difficult to make big changes. With the salary cap, it is not realistic to think like that. "

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
I've been "around" since 1985 lol.

unless you are moving henrik lundqvist, I'm not buying it. at all.

this organization will make a sacrificial move i.e. kreider or hayes to shake things up and add some new offensive talent. if they can improve the team, both those guys should be in play.

they will cut away the dead wood i.e. boyle, dom moore and one of girardi or staal. addition by subtraction.

they will move keith yandle for cap space.

they will add pavel buchnevich and another low cost elc type forward like a drake caggiula.

and lastly, they move rick nash for being awful and add cap space and a player/pick in return.

the core remains.

add some offensive talent, improve the defense, pp and the pk and make another run.

this organization will never rebuild with hank in net.

Devil's advocate here... but which one will go and where and at what cost?
Why are some expecting one if not both Staal and Girardi to not be on the roster next season?
Have there been any indications from other teams or the font office in moving them?
Instead of some folks coming up with hypothetical lines for next year's roster without Staal and Girardi, why not start coming up with lines including them to get a better sense of what other options the front office will realistically have?
Why would Staal or Girardi agree to a trade to a different team much less except a buyout and leave money on the table?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Looks like the brain trust heads west next week for the yearly meeting at the Sather Compound:

https://www.sny.tv/rangers/news/the...-meetings-next-week-in-palm-springs/176360104

http://translate.google.com/transla...un-vote-de-confiance-pour-alain-vigneault.php

Just a quote from the interview with AV, which was in french and of course things can get scrambled within translation, but might as well post it:

"For sure there will be changes. I do not know if we can talk about big changes, because in today's reality, it is difficult to make big changes. With the salary cap, it is not realistic to think like that. "

It's not that difficult, AV. Come on.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
So, I don't know how true these rumors are, but apparently we might be bringing Pavel Valentenko back over?

found the rumor link here:
http://sportbo.ru/news/157758/

a few years back, happened to be able to chat with G.Clarke at a ncaa game
when i asked about v-Tank (who was w HWP(CTW) at the time), Clarke said his skating was an issue
the guy does have size and a strong shot
and 4 full years in K should have helped his game

also, maybe someone here knows more,
there were allusions in articles a while back of a family health problem - wife? child?

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
found the rumor link here:
http://sportbo.ru/news/157758/

a few years back, happened to be able to chat with G.Clarke at a ncaa game
when i asked about v-Tank (who was w HWP(CTW) at the time), Clarke said his skating was an issue
the guy does have size and a strong shot
and 4 full years in K should have helped his game

also, maybe someone here knows more,
there were allusions in articles a while back of a family health problem - wife? child?

yeah I think he went back due to some family issue, plus he wasn't getting a look with the Rangers...so why make a fraction in the AHL when you can make more playing at home.

I'm happy he's coming back over, never know.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008

Tanner for captain

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Valentenko is 28. Doesn't put up many points but is a pretty big guy at 6'2", 234lbs. Might be an interesting guy to bring over. Right handed also.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
We are one of the 9 teams Caggiula listed, and with that defense, Brodin SHOULD be on the bottom pair, especially since he's more a bottom pairing defenseman. :laugh:

any update on him? I wish we hadn't learned the rangers were actually in on him, will make it that much more annoying when he signs with Van.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
any update on him? I wish we hadn't learned the rangers were actually in on him, will make it that much more annoying when he signs with Van.

The latest news was that he was supposedly making a decision this week. It's Thursday now, so I would assume soonish...

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS

I mean, I honestly don't think our fans are expecting him to sign with us so I personally wouldn't be that annoyed since i'd know it wasn't happening, but i'd be ecstatic if he did sign with us.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
So, I don't know how true these rumors are, but apparently we might be bringing Pavel Valentenko back over?

Eh, I thought Tank never really got his shot while he was here. He was a decent enough player to make it on someone's roster. He really struggled with his foot speed though, which is not the kind of dman we should be looking for at this point.

Unless we somehow manage to get rid of both Girardi and Staal, and just need a cheap, semi-competent guy for the bottom pair or spare slot, I don't see a role for him.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Valentenko is 28. Doesn't put up many points but is a pretty big guy at 6'2", 234lbs. Might be an interesting guy to bring over. Right handed also.

Unfortunately he is a lefty. Very good "low" hitter, strong as a bull nowadays. Skating is a bit so-so overall, but he is explosive in his lateral movement.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
There were rumblings during the season about the Rangers looking at major changes. McKenzie and McGuire made some comments on the radio. The team started to play better and the rumors went away. I wouldn't listen to what AV says. He admitted at the press conference last week he was a big proponent of giving this group one last kick at the can. AV has two years left on his contract. Gorton acquires Eric Staal and AV plays him with Hayes. Did these guys talk about how Staal would be used before acquiring him? AV won't be around to coach the players Gorton acquires this summer following the major upheaval and adding young blood to the organization theme.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
There were rumblings during the season about the Rangers looking at major changes. McKenzie and McGuire made some comments on the radio. The team started to play better and the rumors went away. I wouldn't listen to what AV says. He admitted at the press conference last week he was a big proponent of giving this group one last kick at the can. AV has two years left on his contract. Gorton acquires Eric Staal and AV plays him with Hayes. Did these guys talk about how Staal would be used before acquiring him? AV won't be around to coach the players Gorton acquires this summer following the major upheaval and adding young blood to the organization theme.

Hope you're right/

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
We are one of the 9 teams Caggiula listed, and with that defense, Brodin SHOULD be on the bottom pair, especially since he's more a bottom pairing defenseman. :laugh:

Brodin can easily be a top 4 for us.

Can you link the article that says we are one of the 9? Last thing I read here had 8 teams listed and we weren't one of them.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I think it's pretty obvious at this point that AV either doesn't like or is terrible at developing players. He doesn't want an infusion of young talent.

He's a coach that can take an already talented roster and almost win it all, then doesn't want to hang around once the cupboard is bare and there's nothing left to do but rebuild or retool.

He's not the man to be handling our roster going forward.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
More I think about it, the more the Rangers should retain 50% on Nash. To me, the cap space for next year is irrelevant as the team shouldn't be making a big play in free agency and clearing out $3.9 million of Nash's salary will allow our key RFA's to be signed anyway. That leaves one more season of Nash at $3.9 million retained in 17-18 which would suck but the package we could acquire would be more than worth it.

Nash at 7.8 to a team is extremely rough but Nash at 3.9 one season removed from 40+ goals? That could bring in a lot. Gotta think you get a first + good prospect, maybe more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad