Speculation: Roster Building Thread XLIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Brodin can easily be a top 4 for us.

Can you link the article that says we are one of the 9? Last thing I read here had 8 teams listed and we weren't one of them.

Brodin is pretty much Marc Staal right now. Absolute **** offensively and good defensively. He's also younger and has a better contract, to be fair.

And here:

Brad apparently is a good source. Pretty sure he works closely around Caggiula's team.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
We need to find a way to bring Yandle back, if not for the sheer fact he is too important to our offense from the backend, we would have then gave Duclair up for nothing imo.

we would be lucky if he takes 5.5 for 1 yr deal w/option for 2nd yr at 6. That is min $ I expect he will command, more on the open market.

$ aside, most realistic way to create a fit for him here is trade McD for lesser $ return.

I think it's pretty obvious at this point that AV either doesn't like or is terrible at developing players. He doesn't want an infusion of young talent.

He's a coach that can take an already talented roster and almost win it all, then doesn't want to hang around once the cupboard is bare and there's nothing left to do but rebuild or retool.

He's not the man to be handling our roster going forward.

You are so preachin to the choir, man:yo:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Brodin is pretty much Marc Staal right now. Absolute **** offensively and good defensively. He's also younger and has a better contract, to be fair.

And here:

Brad apparently is a good source. Pretty sure he works closely around Caggiula's team.

With all due respect, if you are comparing Marc Staal to Brodin, I think your opinion of Brodin is way off. We can agree to disagree on this one.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Not really comparing. Think they just both play a more defensive style and their strengths are more on that side of the puck.

Brodin is much younger, has a much better contract and is still young enough to where the offensive side of his game could develop. Lets not forget, Marc Staal wasn't always abysmal offensively. That came after the eye injury. Brodin is a top 4 defenseman. When it comes to offense, I think Brodin's major issue is confidence. I think the untapped potential is there to add more offense. He also won't be cheap to acquire.

Thinking that he could be had for Staal + Boo is absurdly naive. Then again, that would explain why you believe he would be a bottom pairing defenseman for us.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Brodin is much younger, has a much better contract and is still young enough to where the offensive side of his game could develop. Lets not forget, Marc Staal wasn't always abysmal offensively. That came after the eye injury. Brodin is a top 4 defenseman. When it comes to offense, I think Brodin's major issue is confidence. I think the untapped potential is there to add more offense. He also won't be cheap to acquire.

Thinking that he could be had for Staal + Boo is absurdly naive. Then again, that would explain why you believe he would be a bottom pairing defenseman for us.

I didn't offer Staal + Boo for him.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Thought about potential Nash deals before, wanted to gather opinions.

St. Louis:
Rick Nash (3M retained retained)
Derick Brassard

New York:
-Robby Fabbri
-Patrik Berglund
-2nd round pick

Definitely anticipate some of you being disappointed with this, but I'm higher on Fabbri than most. Would love to include a swap of Glass/Reaves as well.

On to the next one.

Anaheim:
Rick Nash (50% retained- 3.9M hit).
Tanner Glass

New York:
Sami Vatanen
Ryan Garbutt

Obviously contingent on how the Ducks approach the offseason, but if they want to remain in contention given their status as a budget-team, I think this could be reasonably fair. Will save money as I think Sami will get around 4.5-5.5 this summer, an they are trading from a position of strength for one of weakness (though I don't know if they have any top 6 wing prospects coming along soon, maybe save for Ritchie). As for the minor part of this deal, think they'd be interested because although Tanner will make 1M next year, 100k more than Garbutt, his hit of 1.45 could be appealing if they anticipate any problems reaching the cap floor

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I never, ever understood the hype around Brodin.

Literally do not see what he does well.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I would really like to see a Nash trade bring back a 1st, so the Rangers could find a way to grab McAvoy. He sounds exactly like what the Rangers need on the blueline. Nash for Jurco and a 1st, or Caig Smith and a 1st would be ideal, IMO.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Thought about potential Nash deals before, wanted to gather opinions.

St. Louis:
Rick Nash (3M retained retained)
Derick Brassard

New York:
-Robby Fabbri
-Patrik Berglund
-2nd round pick

Definitely anticipate some of you being disappointed with this, but I'm higher on Fabbri than most. Would love to include a swap of Glass/Reaves as well.

On to the next one.

Anaheim:
Rick Nash (50% retained- 3.9M hit).
Tanner Glass

New York:
Sami Vatanen
Ryan Garbutt

Obviously contingent on how the Ducks approach the offseason, but if they want to remain in contention given their status as a budget-team, I think this could be reasonably fair. Will save money as I think Sami will get around 4.5-5.5 this summer, an they are trading from a position of strength for one of weakness (though I don't know if they have any top 6 wing prospects coming along soon, maybe save for Ritchie). As for the minor part of this deal, think they'd be interested because although Tanner will make 1M next year, 100k more than Garbutt, his hit of 1.45 could be appealing if they anticipate any problems reaching the cap floor

That first deal is pretty terrible for us, in my opinion. Brassard alone should be returning that kind of package. Nash w/$3M retained should return a pretty hefty sum just by himself.

I jump all over the second deal.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
That first deal is pretty terrible for us, in my opinion. Brassard alone should be returning that kind of package. Nash w/$3M retained should return a pretty hefty sum just by himself.

I jump all over the second deal.

Yeah you're probably right. Probably overcompensated in pursuit of objectivity. Maybe should change that 2nd to a 1st and retain less on Nash. Probably just undervalued Brass's value.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Yeah you're probably right. Probably overcompensated in pursuit of objectivity. Maybe should change that 2nd to a 1st and retain less on Nash. Probably just undervalued Brass's value.

I'd probably try and take Nash out of that deal completely, to be honest. Make the deal Brassard and a warm body for Fabbri and Berglund. Or, if the whole point is to move Nash, remove Brassard from the deal and do Nash (with some amount of retention) for Fabbri and a cap dump. Maybe throw a pick in there from STL to balance out things.

I understand Fabbri is the main piece here, and he had a nice rookie season, but Nash is a better player right now, and probably for the next couple seasons. We should be compensated for that.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
with the full year lost due to the lockout that was 8 years..not 10, but i always call it the "Decade of despair" so to me its 10 years :)

LOL so your 10 years of wasted watching was actually only 7 seasons? Does that seem fair to you? I guess I can call the the 2014 cup run our championship season. :D

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
I'd probably try and take Nash out of that deal completely, to be honest. Make the deal Brassard and a warm body for Fabbri and Berglund. Or, if the whole point is to move Nash, remove Brassard from the deal and do Nash (with some amount of retention) for Fabbri and a cap dump. Maybe throw a pick in there from STL to balance out things.

I understand Fabbri is the main piece here, and he had a nice rookie season, but Nash is a better player right now, and probably for the next couple seasons. We should be compensated for that.

Actually I agree with you 100%. Deal makes a lot more sense sans Nash, Fabbri + Berglund would be a good return for Brass. Nash at 3.9M could probably bring a very good-great return.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The draft is 7 weeks from tomorrow. Nothing will get done until then. I love what the Flyers did in 2011. They traded Richards and Carter for a young roster player,a top prospect and another asset. Simmonds and Voracek. Schenn and Couturier(He was selected with a first from Columbus). LA added a 2nd and Columbus added a 3rd used for Nick Cousins. The 2nd was traded to Dallas for Grossman. I would still be interested in exploring a deal involving McDonagh and the 4th overall pick. Matt Tkachuk. He is supposed to be a better player than his father who was a great player. What else can the Rangers get in addition to 4th overall for McDonagh who I love but would move in the right deal? Ryan has taken some huge hits in his career. He has been injured the last two years in the playoffs. Three years left at a very good number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille