Speculation: Roster Building Thread XLIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Their defense is FAR from set. Montour is the only "set" guy coming up to replace Vatanen, and both Vatanen and Lindholm need raises as they are both 1st time RFA's. That said they will probably have to move Vatanen to give his money to Lindholm, then pull up Montour on his ELC, then replace their #6Dman out of free agency.

Also, do we need to talk about the mess that is Kevin Bieksa? That guy is complete trash.

They'd keep Vatanen if they weren't a budget team.

The pieces they have on defense are

Vatanen - RD
Fowler - LD
Lindholm - LD who plays RD
Despres - LD
Manson - RD
Theodore - LD
Montour - RD
Stoner - LD
Bieksa - RD

Plus other D prospects who are pretty good in Larsson and Pettersson

Even if they move Vatanen, which isn't guaranteed, they have a D corp left with

Fowler - Lindholm
Despres - Montour
Theodore- Manson
and Stoner/Bieska

That defense is all under 25 sans for Stoner and Bieska. They're set on D.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Nash with 2.8 mil retained
Klein

to Anaheim

for Stoner, Cogliano, Montour and Ritchie.

Anaheim upgrades both offensively and defensively. They take on 7.9 mil in cap hits, but shed 6.25 mil. It's 2 roster players for 2 roster players, so no one else needs to be replaced.

All 4 players have 2 years remaining on their contracts and none have NMCs, so they are all possibilities to be exposed in the expansion draft.

Does Anaheim do it? Do we?

kudos on making the #s work

however Ana says no, cause they have big contracts already including Getzlaf and adding Nash would = more structural inflexibility and risk.

On top of that, I think we should look elsewhere.
I value some of their D prospects ballpark on par w/Skjei, +/- a bit.

They value these guys like Hanafin.
Fugghedaboutit

Nash we can still do to SJ if we are not greedy.
Stepan for Dumba, let it go.

I think there may be a way to move Staal/Girardi not yet covered, prob can't finalize it til weekend, we'll see.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
this team will NEVER step back enough and rebuild. never ever. once you understand that you will realize that there isn't any 2 years deal. reconfiguring this lineup will allow us to remain a competitive team.

I guess you weren't around in 2004. We sold off a lot of players that year. The upcoming lockout/salary cap had something to do with it for sure, but it doesn't change the fact that we traded a lot of older players for picks and prospects.

Besides that, who's to say that Gorton will operate the same way that Sather did?

No amount of re-configuring will make this team a cup contender next year. You may be right that management will never see it that way, but that doesn't make it any less true. Regardless, I'm going to suggest things that this team should do rather than what they might do.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Whatever Gorton plans to do with this roster, I bet it doesn't take only one summer to do. It will likely take two or three summers to effectively change the roster to be more like what Gorton & Co. want it to be like.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I guess you weren't around in 2004. We sold off a lot of players that year. The upcoming lockout/salary cap had something to do with it for sure, but it doesn't change the fact that we traded a lot of older players for picks and prospects.

Besides that, who's to say that Gorton will operate the same way that Sather did?

No amount of re-configuring will make this team a cup contender next year. You may be right that management will never see it that way, but that doesn't make it any less true. Regardless, I'm going to suggest things that this team should do rather than what they might do.

I've been "around" since 1985 lol.

unless you are moving henrik lundqvist, I'm not buying it. at all.

this organization will make a sacrificial move i.e. kreider or hayes to shake things up and add some new offensive talent. if they can improve the team, both those guys should be in play.

they will cut away the dead wood i.e. boyle, dom moore and one of girardi or staal. addition by subtraction.

they will move keith yandle for cap space.

they will add pavel buchnevich and another low cost elc type forward like a drake caggiula.

and lastly, they move rick nash for being awful and add cap space and a player/pick in return.

the core remains.

add some offensive talent, improve the defense, pp and the pk and make another run.

this organization will never rebuild with hank in net.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

this organization will make a sacrificial move i.e. kreider or hayes to shake things up and add some new offensive talent. if they can improve the team, both those guys should be in play.

they will cut away the dead wood i.e. boyle, dom moore and one of girardi or staal. addition by subtraction.

they will add pavel buchnevich and another low cost elc type forward like a drake caggiula.

and lastly, they move rick nash for being awful and add cap space and a player/pick in return.

the core remains.

add some offensive talent, improve the defense, pp and the pk and make another run.

This is a realistic view. Some moves are more difficult to make but there are ways to upgrade and reload this team for another Stanley Cup run next year or a year after. The key is as long as we have in-form Lundqvist this team is upgradable.

I mean until he is signed there is chance to get Stamkos. Putting Brassard in play (because with Stamkos it would make more sense to keep Stepan over Brassard) could be used to stock up our farm or in combination with other smaller pieces make active roster improvements elsewhere. If Radulov can be enticed to join the Rangers and trading Nash is a possibility then the team would not get worse on a wing including incoming Buchnevich. If Girardi can be moved and replaced with a legitimate 1st pair solution I see the team ready to go for it again next year.

Last edited:

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
They'd keep Vatanen if they weren't a budget team.

The pieces they have on defense are

Vatanen - RD
Fowler - LD
Lindholm - LD who plays RD
Despres - LD
Manson - RD
Theodore - LD
Montour - RD
Stoner - LD
Bieksa - RD

Plus other D prospects who are pretty good in Larsson and Pettersson

Even if they move Vatanen, which isn't guaranteed, they have a D corp left with

Fowler - Lindholm
Despres - Montour
Theodore- Manson
and Stoner/Bieska

That defense is all under 25 sans for Stoner and Bieska. They're set on D.

That D is pretty weak.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

the core remains.

Yup, this is the most likely path.

People here get too trigger happy with declaring this team a non-playoff team and in need of a full rebuild.

They need to get rid of the dead weight, unload at least one of Staal/Girardi and possibly Nash, inject some youth into the lineup. But this team will still make the playoffs next season.

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
cap space has value.

the time to move him was at the deadline.

we rolled the dice.

he can also be resigned here but for how much ?

True.

I wanted to trade him there but since they chose to keep.him I think re-sign has been him a priority since. Gorton has also hinted that way. He is too good to let go of for cap space especially for what he cost. That shouldn't be an option.

Yandle have played his entire career for a non contending team in the desert. He loves being a Ranger, I don't think he would ask for crazy money if he believes in the future here.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I have a stupid question. I thought that Glass signed a three-year deal and he just completed his third year (I recall he joined the Rangers the same off-season AV became the head coach). Where am I off?

iGotUrHost

Mar 7, 2016
Texas
I have a stupid question. I thought that Glass signed a three-year deal and he just completed his third year (I recall he joined the Rangers the same off-season AV became the head coach). Where am I off?

If I remember correctly, they signed him after the run to the cup, so he would still have one more year left on his deal.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
How long has Gorton been part of this Org?

Rhetorical is the sense that I know he's been around for a long time.

The general point is that he's had a significant hand in constructing THIS roster.

Do we really believe it will change all that much?

not buying it.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
its all so simple

Hayes to Ducks for Vatanen
Kreider, Skapski, ++ to Jets= for Trouba, Lowry, ++
MStaal to Canes for some of Tolchincky, Keegan Lowe. Saarela, our 2d
Girardi to TML for JVR, Babs gives him the C
Vigneault to Habs, McCarron as comp (teams have paid more, they can have Noreau ...)
McIlrath, + for Draisaitl (McI would help them, we dont want any of their $6M F's back)
Nash,+ to Sens for Zibenajad (then Sens get Thornton for Ryan; Melnyk gets his big changes)
prospects (Morrison? Mantha?) to CBJ for Tyutin(some dollars held, a Russian to talk to Buch), maybe Paliotta or Kolesar
Glass, prospects to Buff for Marcus Foligno, +

re-sign Yandle

bigger, younger,
core F's intact (21,10,36,16)
younger less rigid coach

yeah none of it will happen, but if only 8^)

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Rick Nash made this comment last Tuesday

“It’s hard not to worry about it,†said Rick Nash, a prime candidate to go in an overhaul. “I love the city, I love the organization, but the realistic side to it is that you don’t know what’s going to happen over the summer.â€

Except that they all do know that change is coming to the Rangers and that it will be significant.

http://nypost.com/2016/04/26/rangers-are-getting-a-shakeup-and-even-stars-are-worried/

Nash has a list of 12 teams the Rangers can trade him to without his permission.

Dan Girardi about "hoping" to finish his career as a Ranger on the day he signed the six year contract extension

The first-pair defenseman has a no-movement clause the first three years of the extension and a limited no-trade the first three years of the deal.

“I’m just really excited about the deal,†Girardi said. “I’m just really happy to be a Ranger and I’m hoping to finish my career here. To say you’ve played your whole career with an Original Six team, especially a team in New York is something special for me and my family.â€

http://nypost.com/2014/03/01/girardi-glad-to-be-with-rangers-for-the-long-haul/

That's not happening unless Girardi is planning to retire which he is not.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Gorton had a hand in building the Bruins team that won the Cup. The team that played a hard nosed style with skilled players who helped carry the offense. Punishing. This team doesn't punish anyone. I am expecting this team to take a bit of a turn towards being a bit tougher and more of a pain in the ass to play against next year.

I would like you to think about us. The Rangers have been punishing the fans with bone-headed moves for decades! I would personally love to see gorton build a team like the bruins.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Rick Nash made this comment last Tuesday

http://nypost.com/2016/04/26/rangers-are-getting-a-shakeup-and-even-stars-are-worried/

Nash has a list of 12 teams the Rangers can trade him to without his permission.

Dan Girardi about "hoping" to finish his career as a Ranger on the day he signed the six year contract extension

http://nypost.com/2014/03/01/girardi-glad-to-be-with-rangers-for-the-long-haul/

That's not happening unless Girardi is planning to retire which he is not.

Gotta imagine Nash put the Devils, Islanders, Flyers, and Penguins on that list which basically narrows it down to 8. Maybe the Caps too thinking he wouldn't be dealt there so that would be 7.

Phaneuf put Ottawa as one of the teams he could be dealt to in his limited NTC thinking the Leafs would never trade with them and it backfired :laugh:

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Gotta imagine Nash put the Devils, Islanders, Flyers, and Penguins on that list which basically narrows it down to 8. Maybe the Caps too thinking he wouldn't be dealt there so that would be 7.

Phaneuf put Ottawa as one of the teams he could be dealt to in his limited NTC thinking the Leafs would never trade with them and it backfired :laugh:

Why not put teams with no cap space on your list? Like Chicago would never be able to trade for Nash, even if they really wanted to.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Gernander discussed the development of some Hartford players

Ryan Graves

Not far behind Skjei on the development curve was Graves, who at 20 years old was the Wolf Pack’s youngest player. A fourth-round draftee by the Rangers in 2013, Graves carried the momentum from a fine last Junior season in the QMJHL into this year, and used his hard shot to lead Wolf Pack defensemen in goals with nine.

While Graves’ number did not come up for an NHL taste, Gernander was happy with the 6-4, 220-pound youngster’s progress.

“I think defense is a little bit tougher position than forward, and your mistakes seem to stand out a bit more,†he said, “since you’re the last line of defense before the goaltender. And that being said, I thought he (Graves) did a real good job this season defending, and actually, for a first-year guy, generated some offense for us as well. Pretty solid two-way effort, pretty good season for him.â€

http://www.hartfordwolfpack.com/news/detail/2015-16-was-a-season-of-growth-for-pack

Depending upon what the Rangers do,Graves could become an option during the season. He starts the season in the AHL and comes up during the season. Graves is a lefty and he can play both sides. Skjei is a lefty and he can play both sides.

iGotUrHost

Mar 7, 2016
Texas
its all so simple

Hayes to Ducks for Vatanen
Kreider, Skapski, ++ to Jets= for Trouba, Lowry, ++
MStaal to Canes for some of Tolchincky, Keegan Lowe. Saarela, our 2d
Girardi to TML for JVR, Babs gives him the C
Vigneault to Habs, McCarron as comp (teams have paid more, they can have Noreau ...)
McIlrath, + for Draisaitl (McI would help them, we dont want any of their $6M F's back)
Nash,+ to Sens for Zibenajad (then Sens get Thornton for Ryan; Melnyk gets his big changes)
prospects (Morrison? Mantha?) to CBJ for Tyutin(some dollars held, a Russian to talk to Buch), maybe Paliotta or Kolesar
Glass, prospects to Buff for Marcus Foligno, +

re-sign Yandle

bigger, younger,
core F's intact (21,10,36,16)
younger less rigid coach

yeah none of it will happen, but if only 8^)

Are you being serious?

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Gernander discussed the development of some Hartford players

Ryan Graves

http://www.hartfordwolfpack.com/news/detail/2015-16-was-a-season-of-growth-for-pack

Depending upon what the Rangers do,Graves could become an option during the season. He starts the season in the AHL and comes up during the season. Graves is a lefty and he can play both sides. Skjei is a lefty and he can play both sides.

What side was he playing mostly in Hartford? The right sides wide open right now and for the foreseeable future, leave Skjei on the left and groom Graves to play right. Find a right handed #1rd.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I dont think moving some older players out for youth would necessarily cause the end of our competitive window. It depends on how you go about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia