Speculation: Roster Building Thread XLIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
What side was he playing mostly in Hartford? The right sides wide open right now and for the foreseeable future, leave Skjei on the left and groom Graves to play right. Find a right handed #1rd.

I think that for right now, the org should be approaching the roster like Skjei is a L side d man. Yes he can play both sides and that's great, but he's still a kid and has only a taste of the NHL game....let him get comfortable before we start shifting him to his offside.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think that for right now, the org should be approaching the roster like Skjei is a L side d man. Yes he can play both sides and that's great, but he's still a kid and has only a taste of the NHL game....let him get comfortable before we start shifting him to his offside.

If they're going to do it, I don't want him getting comfortable as an LD in the NHL. That comfort is exactly what would prevent him from making that transition later.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach

I agree with this, if they do really blow things up on the blue line and Skjei is playing a strong game from the left side maybe move him over here and there to see how he does. But I don't think as of right now Skjei should be doing more than building his game up on the left side.
If they're going to do it, I don't want him getting comfortable as an LD in the NHL. That comfort is exactly what would prevent him from making that transition later.
Id like to see him at least get comfortable in the league first. If they want to move him over it will happen in due time. His feet are barely wet no need to thrust him into that role and have his confidence ruined early in his career.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY

I disagree. So say he starts on the R and struggles, you've now got a wildly important player, a rookie, with shaken confidence. It's not worth the risk. Play him where he's most comfortable. Where he has the best chance to succeed and build his confidence as an NHL D-man.

At least that's my opinion.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I disagree. So say he starts on the R and struggles, you've now got a wildly important player, a rookie, with shaken confidence. It's not worth the risk. Play him where he's most comfortable. Where he has the best chance to succeed and build his confidence as an NHL D-man.

At least that's my opinion.

On offense it would not matter...might even be a shooting advantage but on defense its a bad idea. We would be asking a rookie to out muscle guys on the boards on his backhand and also make the majority of passes off his backhand. I agree with you. Play Brady on the left side.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I have no problem playing Skjei on the left. All I was saying is that if the plan is to play him on the right eventually, they should start right now. Waiting essentially means he'll never be able to.

McD27

Jul 11, 2013
If we had kept dubi, anisomov, stralman, boyle, calli, hags, this thread would not exist

mti79

May 11, 2007
If we had kept dubi, anisomov, stralman, boyle, calli, hags, this thread would not exist

No, then people would complain that we don't have a type line scorer like a Nash or Gaborik and we'd need a PP QB like Boyle.....

iGotUrHost

Mar 7, 2016
Texas

Eh, while I'm not disagreeing that they all are excellent players, it would not help our cap situation at all. Plus, the Cally for St Louis trade, while being a terrible trade in the long term, essentially pushed us to the Stanley Cup that year.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach

This thread would just be a discussion about trading different players, because the cap situation would be similar, maybe even worse. And we would have no moves/trades to decide what to do with for the expansion draft.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
I'm weary of Nicushkin. Is it growing pains? Or is it a player busting? I'm almost at the point of wanting some one that's proven a little bit more.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
How long has Gorton been part of this Org?

Rhetorical is the sense that I know he's been around for a long time.

The general point is that he's had a significant hand in constructing THIS roster.

Do we really believe it will change all that much?

not buying it.

Not till the sather ship sails away.:rant:

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
Time to get creative.

Chris Kreider + Ryan Graves for Jonathan Drouin
Marc Staal + Boo Nieves for Jonas Brodin
sign Drake Caggiula
sign Jason Demers
sign Jason Chimera
buyout Girardi

Drouin Brassard Nash
Miller Stepan Zuccarello
Buchnevich Hayes Caggiula
Chimera Lindberg Fast

McDonagh Demers
Skjei Klein
Brodin McIlrath

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Agreed, he doesn't look like he can skate

Yeah, I am not that high on Nich either. Unless you can get a really rare player (Kopitar/Malkin type), I think you more and more should look to get size from a few role players and really prioritize skill and speed from the rest. Players that can cover a ton of ice and carry the puck in traffic.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
As much as its a question of being able to, I think it more or less always in the game today is a handicap to play on the wrong side.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
So, I don't know how true these rumors are, but apparently we might be bringing Pavel Valentenko back over?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
So, I don't know how true these rumors are, but apparently we might be bringing Pavel Valentenko back over?

To play where? There is no room. And even if we move one of G/Staal, do we really prefee Valentenko who never cracked the NHL over a UFA defenseman on a decent AAV?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
We need to find a way to bring Yandle back, if not for the sheer fact he is too important to our offense from the backend, we would have then gave Duclair up for nothing imo.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
To play where? There is no room. And even if we move one of G/Staal, do we really prefee Valentenko who never cracked the NHL over a UFA defenseman on a decent AAV?

We need a complimentary Russian guy to help Buchnevich with English and settling in and stuff.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Graves played mostly the left side in the AHL. He played the right side in Junior. Skjei was playing the left but the Rangers put him on the right side a few months ago. Bodie can also play both sides. He was Skjei's partner the 2nd half of the season. The Rangers need to rebuild the blueline. They really need to rebuild the entire team. Target young D in trades and in the first round. If the Rangers can get a mid first round pick. Charles McAvoy from BU. I saw him a few times. Right handed shooting D. Long Beach. Steve Greeley. He can skate. Can move the puck. Honka in Dallas. McCoshen in Florida. He has not turned pro yet. Staal. Klein. Try to turn them into a younger D like Anaheim did with Lovejoy for Despres. Honka needs to be protected in the expansion draft. Be open to anything. You look at the 1979 Rangers team. That was a very young group. Management broke up the early 1970's and went young. They had a few vets in Esposito,Vadnais and Tkaczuk. Go young across the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad