Speculation: Roster Building Thread VIII (2021 Offseason Thread) - “And then there was light…”

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I’m curious if the Rangers trade multiple wingers and move Chytil there. I think he can breakout much more on the wing than worrying about the defensive aspects of playing center

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
800 thousand is a lot more than 100 thousand.

Back in 2017, we did the same with Matt Puempel. Coming off a 2-way contract, they offered him a 1-way deal guaranteeting him more money in case of a demotion, to get the contract over the line in time for the expansion draft.

Puempel was 1 of 2 forwards who met the minimum requirements back then, Grabner being the other.

Reactions: kovazub94

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Another fact is that it’s undisputable that Buch has significantly improved every season of his career up until the present day.

Buch was what top 25 in 5 on 5 scoring and almost a PPG player without significant PP time, and that was with a struggling Mika for big parts of the season.

How good will Buch be next season? I have no problem with Buch’s name being tossed around, there are arguments for that something gotta give. But if you take what he did last season and add to that, you start to get close to like Mark Stone territory. Is it a guarantee that he will keep getting significantly better next season as well? Of course not, but at the same time, why would he stop now? There is like not glaring opinion. Think he played his by far best hockey late last season too.
his core was weak as a rookie and he's not a tuf guy, morons still have the same view of him

Reactions: BobMarleyNYR

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
well KK is a stupid f***ing nickname for someone whose initials are JK. Kaapo Kakko is the only real KK. Maybe Kasperi Kapanen. Its like when people call Marcus Johansson "MoJo". Bitch his name isn't MOrcus
I guess they pronounce him like KotKaNiemi so that's their logic. English has this weird way of stressing syllables differently on every word, the most inconsistent language there is.

Reactions: NYRangers16

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Reactions: frozenrubber

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Strome @50% + Jones for Tuch and McNabb

Buch for Holloway

Laffy - Zibs - Kakko
Panarin - Chytil - Kravtsov
Kreider - Holloway - Tuch
Howden - Barron - Gauthier

Lindgren Fox
KAM Trouba
McNabb Lundkvist

I'm suspect of Chytil slotting in there... but maybe I'm optimistic.. I think he find his game and grows under Gallant. As long as he simplifies it and hones in on the defensive side of things.

Still dont want to get rid of Gauthier. He has an elite toolbox... same as Chytil, hopefully he can simplify his game and use his size, speed and skill.

Bottom6 and middle6C may still need tinkering.. I actually like that defensive group.

As much as I would love to see it happen, we're not getting Tuch for that offer.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Reactions: NYRangers16

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Makes you wonder if the would've even qualified him if it wasn't for the expansion draft. Most likely not. Surely we have options for 4th liners over him.

That is part of my theory, Rangers may have said, we'll even give you a 10K raise on your qualifier, but you need to sign now so we can use you to fulfill the must expose requirement.

If he did not, maybe they just let him become a UFA and from there, maybe he does not even get a contract league wide, or maybe he can only get a two way contract (which would be allowed for him again as he'd be a UFA at time of signing)

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
I wonder if Howden is at the point where he doesn't even get claimed on waivers on that day before rosters are due, and a bunch of players get put on the list. Maybe he can go to Hartford and turn his career around like Daniel Sprong did.

Howden never spending time in the AHL once he got here was stupid.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Howden never spending time in the AHL once he got here was stupid.
It borders on unbelievable when you take into account and really dig into how bad he is

if that’s not evidence of coaches playing favorites I’m not sure what is lol

Last edited:

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
View attachment 452194

Chytil is better than Kotkaniemi at just about everything. Kotka has been more physical so far (credited with about 7 hits per 60), which is nice, but I’ll be damned if I’m trading Chytil for him.

This has become my personal calling card. I really, really hope Drury sees the underlying numbers and has no plan to move on from Chytil. It’s a huge mistake in the making.

Agree give Baby Jagr a chance!!

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
But at the same time, it seems like people think 28-29 is the end of a career nowadays. Youth is great but it doesnt guarantee they will ever reach the potential of a known quantity. There are plenty of teams with great youth that can not and have not got it done. Edmonton comes to mind. Tampa has the blueprint. Great youth players with strong talented vets. Thats the model that teams should be emulating.

For example, do we think Chytil ever reaches the level of a Kuznetsov. I love Chytil but I dont see it.

Tampa didn't acquire their guys at age 29 though, they acquired stars and building blocks and have let them grow for Cup run after Cup run until now they have a team that is in their mid to late 20s.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
It's not semantics at all - they are completely different.

This franchise has won exactly one cup since 1941 - that's 80 years of not being able to do it more than once and you're shooting for a dynasty or a longer window?

I'll take the One and Done for $1000, Alex.

I'll take it a step further - every Cup winner that I can remember had multiple 30+ year olds on it without exception. Sure, shiny prospects with a boatload of potential are exciting, but you're not winning shit without the Maroons, McDonaghs, and Savards of the world. Tampa Bay is a great of example of great drafting and adding complimentary pieces to build a winner. You need both.

Who is saying to get rid of all thirty year olds? If we want to import some veterans at reasonable cost (reasonable contract in FA or reasonable asset in trade), that is fine, we are also about to have a couple on hand in Kreider and Panarin. I'm just saying we have not finished acquiring building blocks either, and until then it seems backwards to pay a big price for Kuznetsov. If we get him, no real room for getting a young center, unlike bottom 6 grit wingers like Pat Maroon.

And it's not as if running out and grabbing vets is any more likely to result in even one Cup than building through youth is. I'd rather build a long term contender and get another quality shot every year. I've seen the "cash in chips for one run," approach and it kinda sucks if you don't win it all. Even if you do win it all, subsequent years suck.

I'll take my chances that I can get at least one by building a long term contender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad