Speculation: Roster Building Thread VIII (2021 Offseason Thread) - “And then there was light…”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Probably

you can pay Kinkaid 900K to do the same thing.

Gorton/Quinn bet on Georgiev and it’s kinda blown up in their faces. I don’t know what his trade value was last summer but whatever it was had to be higher than what it is now
I'm still harboring a conspiracy that part of the reason Dolan was sour on Gorton and JD is that they convinced him to sign off on a Hank buyout. Told him it was part of the plan, moving on from Hank in the room and saving the cap space was important. Then Dolan sees the goalie they chose over him (Georgiev) suck ass, the team be directionless at times, without strong leadership and sorely missing a veteran but also just sucking.

He may have been looking back being like "I had to buy out a franchise icon when he only had one year left on his deal and we still sucked" and that was part of his gripes with Gorton and JD, contributing to their firings.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'm still harboring a conspiracy that part of the reason Dolan was sour on Gorton and JD is that they convinced him to sign off on a Hank buyout. Told him it was part of the plan, moving on from Hank in the room and saving the cap space was important. Then Dolan sees the goalie they chose over him (Georgiev) suck ass, the team be directionless at times, without strong leadership and sorely missing a veteran but also just sucking.

He may have been looking back being like "I had to buy out a franchise icon when he only had one year left on his deal and we still sucked" and that was part of his gripes with Gorton and JD, contributing to their firings.

The thing that makes it suck even more is that the Hank buyout cap space was what was used to re-sign DeAngelo.

There's a series of brutal decisions right there.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Semantics.... I'm saying I'm not making moves just to win "a" Cup. Loading up on 28 and 29 year olds like Kuznetsov might get us a Cup in the next few years, but that's probably it as the team would age quickly and be out of assets to expend.

I'd rather take longer to win but have a window that stays open much longer.

I'm patient.

Unfortunately our owner and some posters on this board are not, and if we propose to trade now for future they seem to blow their lids.

It's not semantics at all - they are completely different.

This franchise has won exactly one cup since 1941 - that's 80 years of not being able to do it more than once and you're shooting for a dynasty or a longer window?

I'll take the One and Done for $1000, Alex.

I'll take it a step further - every Cup winner that I can remember had multiple 30+ year olds on it without exception. Sure, shiny prospects with a boatload of potential are exciting, but you're not winning shit without the Maroons, McDonaghs, and Savards of the world. Tampa Bay is a great of example of great drafting and adding complimentary pieces to build a winner. You need both.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I have been sitting here thinking about how easy it would be to sign a GOOD 3rd line just via UFA this offseason if the team had roster space. Bonino. Foligno. Goodrow. Nosek. Haula. The Rangers are in the unique spot of having A LOT of cap space for this upcoming season and more than likely, the season after that. It's after that season when it may get tricky. 2-year deals for guys like Foligno and Bonino would bring both a veteran presence, guys who know what you need to do consistently in this league and a stiff presence (thanks Mollie for the inspiration) to a group of younger, more skilled forwards. If Gallant than wants, he can tie them at the hip with Kreider and there is a 2nd/3rd line that should be really difficult to play against and score.

The key to this is opening up spots.

Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Buch
Panarin-Strome-Kravtsov
Kreider-Chytil-Kaako
Howden-Rooney-Gauthier

The guys highlighted are who I would like to see monetized. One of the guys in italics are probably taken in expansion.

I keep coming back to the fact that Chytil needs to be given the opportunity to grab the bull by the horns. The team has taken kid gloves to these guys for long enough. That's not to say we shouldn't expect bumps in the road, but he has 186 games in the NHL. It's time. Either the team believes in him or it doesn't.

Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Kaako
Panarin-Chytil-Kravtsov
Kreider-Bonino-Foligno
_____-Rooney-_____

Reactions: NYRangers16

effen

Feb 3, 2018
The thing that makes it suck even more is that the Hank buyout cap space was what was used to re-sign DeAngelo.

There's a series of brutal decisions right there.
It's a lot more a set of individual bad outcomes put together. Though you can easily see some dipshit saying "ya didnt get tha job done!!!!" and making a change because they don't understand probability.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Brett Howden!!!!!

upload_2021-7-9_13-31-18.png

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
They probably want more stability and a veteran who understands the role. Not a kid who is trying to steal a starting job away from their goalie of the future.
Yeah I mean this is probably the reason if there is any. I don't think Georgiev can be a legit #1 starter in the NHL, not after last season anyway, but if he sees himself as a potential 1b and the Rangers are making it clear he only gets the odd b2b and 20-25% of the games, I can see this heading towards a divorce.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I have been sitting here thinking about how easy it would be to sign a GOOD 3rd line just via UFA this offseason if the team had roster space. Bonino. Foligno. Goodrow. Nosek. Haula. The Rangers are in the unique spot of having A LOT of cap space for this upcoming season and more than likely, the season after that. It's after that season when it may get tricky. 2-year deals for guys like Foligno and Bonino would bring both a veteran presence, guys who know what you need to do consistently in this league and a stiff presence (thanks Mollie for the inspiration) to a group of younger, more skilled forwards. If Gallant than wants, he can tie them at the hip with Kreider and there is a 2nd/3rd line that should be really difficult to play against and score.

Panarin-Strome-Kravtsov
Kreider-Chytil-Kaako
Howden-Rooney-Gauthier

The guys highlighted are who I would like to see monetized. One of the guys in italics are probably taken in expansion.

I keep coming back to the fact that Chytil needs to be given the opportunity to grab the bull by the horns. The team has taken kid gloves to these guys for long enough. That's not to say we shouldn't expect bumps in the road, but he has 186 games in the NHL. It's time. Either the team believes in him or it doesn't.

Panarin-Chytil-Kravtsov
Kreider-Bonino-Foligno
_____-Rooney-_____

I mean the absolute biggest complaint on the board was that the kids never got the appropriate opportunities. Thats not treating them with kid gloves.
Chytil was pre injury our best Center, and was stuck on the third line while mika was sick and strome was struggling.
Kakko had absolutely stretches of dominance, but was relegated to our third line, and got almost no PP time.

I dont want them treated with kid gloves, I want them to get opportunities.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I mean the absolute biggest complaint on the board was that the kids never got the appropriate opportunities. Thats not treating them with kid gloves.
Chytil was pre injury our best Center, and was stuck on the third line while mika was sick and strome was struggling.
Kakko had absolutely stretches of dominance, but was relegated to our third line, and got almost no PP time.

I dont want them treated with kid gloves, I want them to get opportunities.

Sorry, what I was saying is that I don't want them handled with kid gloves anymore. It's time for Chytil to be getting 15-17 minutes a night in prime offensive opportunities. It's time for Kaako and Lafreniere to take the next step and get consistent minutes. In order to do that, some guys should be monetized and then back-filled with guys who can fill more of a role the team really needs, a veteran, hard-nosed, energy providing 3rd line.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Strome @50% + Jones for Tuch and McNabb

Buch for Holloway

Laffy - Zibs - Kakko
Panarin - Chytil - Kravtsov
Kreider - Holloway - Tuch
Howden - Barron - Gauthier

Lindgren Fox
KAM Trouba
McNabb Lundkvist

I'm suspect of Chytil slotting in there... but maybe I'm optimistic.. I think he find his game and grows under Gallant. As long as he simplifies it and hones in on the defensive side of things.

Still dont want to get rid of Gauthier. He has an elite toolbox... same as Chytil, hopefully he can simplify his game and use his size, speed and skill.

Bottom6 and middle6C may still need tinkering.. I actually like that defensive group.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Strome @50% + Jones for Tuch and McNabb

Buch for Holloway

Laffy - Zibs - Kakko
Panarin - Chytil - Kravtsov
Kreider - Holloway - Tuch
Howden - Barron - Gauthier

Lindgren Fox
KAM Trouba
McNabb Lundkvist

I like the deals a lot. I think they are fair in value. Don't see why Vegas would want Strome, as he's very redundant with what they have, but I'd Be very happy if that was the offseason.

I'd put Tuch and Kreider on separate lines, and run a 4th of Barron-Rooney-Gauthier however.

The only downside is that we do get a lot more inexperienced at center. No certainty that Holloway will be NHL ready.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
If your Howden you hope to get picked by the Kraken...lots of openings ...better chance of getting a big raise the 2nd Kraken season.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
I mean, getting in trouble for cocaine or anything else once, does not necessarily mean its a continued habit. I wonder if people, and Im not attacking you, realize the shit that some of their favorite old time players used to get into 20-30 years ago.

Sure. But it should be a pretty big red flag for a guy that is going to cost both assets and a significant chunk of the cap.

Reactions: Daves a mess

MrEctions

Willy Nilly
Apr 24, 2007
Clinton, Ny
Sure. But it should be a pretty big red flag for a guy that is going to cost both assets and a significant chunk of the cap.

I get that, but I think his remaining contract, 4 years @ 7.5, has a lot of value and to me is a significant upgrade over Strome. The Caps needs also line up well with our assets available, in terms of a logjam of good young D. There is certainly risk involved, but the potential for a huge reward is also there with someone of his talent.

Reactions: Avery16

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ

Panarin-Strome-Kravtsov
Kreider-Chytil-Kaako
Howden-Rooney-Gauthier

Panarin-Chytil-Kravtsov
Kreider-Bonino-Foligno
_____-Rooney-_____

And Filip fits our timeline. If he fails at 2C then we regroup assess the 1C market and pounce. The following year which better fits our timeline for a deep cup run.

Reactions: Yuck

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I like the deals a lot. I think they are fair in value. Don't see why Vegas would want Strome, as he's very redundant with what they have, but I'd Be very happy if that was the offseason.

I'd put Tuch and Kreider on separate lines, and run a 4th of Barron-Rooney-Gauthier however.

The only downside is that we do get a lot more inexperienced at center. No certainty that Holloway will be NHL ready.
From Vegas perspective, they get a decent center but at a great value. It's mostly cap related. Still get a great kid in Jones

Centers would defintely be a wild card...

I liked the size and potential style contrast. Kreider Holloway Tuch could be the meat and potatoes line and the opposing teams defensive 3rd pair's nightmare

MrEctions

Willy Nilly
Apr 24, 2007
Clinton, Ny

Panarin-Strome-Kravtsov
Kreider-Chytil-Kaako
Howden-Rooney-Gauthier

Panarin-Chytil-Kravtsov
Kreider-Bonino-Foligno
_____-Rooney-_____

To me, the biggest issue here is that 2nd line. The would get eaten alive by the likes of Tampas 4th line or even the Islanders. Too easy to knock off the puck, and weak on the forecheck.

i think youd have to move Panarin up and Laffy or Kakko back just to give that size/strength element and even then I think its lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad