Speculation: Roster Building Thread VIII (2021 Offseason Thread) - “And then there was light…”

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Centers would defintely be a wild card...

I liked the size and potential style contrast. Kreider Holloway Tuch could be the meat and potatoes line and the opposing teams defensive 3rd pair's nightmare

Will Holloway play C in the pros....or LW?

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
You guys actually think that Kotka for Chytil is even remotely reasonable? And some of you want an add? Im not Kotka’s biggest fan but thats just preposterous bias.
0C1945CB-1F23-4408-A88E-5B4CD286A31A.jpeg

Chytil is better than Kotkaniemi at just about everything. Kotka has been more physical so far (credited with about 7 hits per 60), which is nice, but I’ll be damned if I’m trading Chytil for him.

This has become my personal calling card. I really, really hope Drury sees the underlying numbers and has no plan to move on from Chytil. It’s a huge mistake in the making.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Will Holloway play C in the pros....or LW?
Kind of a Barron scenario.. He doesn't have the skating limitations though. He's a great skater

He could but will he? More of a comfort issue but I don't see why he wouldn't be at Center.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
To me, the biggest issue here is that 2nd line. The would get eaten alive by the likes of Tampas 4th line or even the Islanders. Too easy to knock off the puck, and weak on the forecheck.

i think youd have to move Panarin up and Laffy or Kakko back just to give that size/strength element and even then I think its lacking.

Having Foligno and Kreider allows you that flexibility

Reactions: MrEctions

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Engels was on NHL Radio on SXM. He said Kotka is overall disappointed with the season regarding choices made about him. He was scratched to start playoffs. He was scratched the last two games. Engels said Bergevin's job during that exit interview is to convince him the team is still high on him. I imagine he has to convince the French speaking hockey world of that as well as he sells magic beans.

I see similarities with Quinn's regime to Montreal. They sat Kotka and Goal Caufield because they don't trust youth. They don't beat TML if they don't get desperate and play the kids.

Anyway, I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if they shop Kotkaniemi. I said it before so I won't rehash everything. But Engels also acknowledged Danault, the only French speaking player on the team. He doesn't want just money, he wants playing time. Suzuki, Danault, Kotkaniemi, Evans. It can be done but I think the roles and minutes are scarce. They are all smaller guys. The team needs scoring. Buchnevich could be a fit.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
If Rangers got KK or even Holloway, they would probably flip it for JE and would then be able to give Buffalo everything they want :sarcasm:

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
View attachment 452194

Chytil is better than Kotkaniemi at just about everything. Kotka has been more physical so far (credited with about 7 hits per 60), which is nice, but I’ll be damned if I’m trading Chytil for him.

This has become my personal calling card. I really, really hope Drury sees the underlying numbers and has no plan to move on from Chytil. It’s a huge mistake in the making.

Where do you get these comparisons?

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
View attachment 452194

But he's reached the ripe old age of 21 and hasn't reached his full potential. Get rid of him.

Reactions: NYRangers16

Yuck

Sep 8, 2009
I have been sitting here thinking about how easy it would be to sign a GOOD 3rd line just via UFA this offseason if the team had roster space. Bonino. Foligno. Goodrow. Nosek. Haula. The Rangers are in the unique spot of having A LOT of cap space for this upcoming season and more than likely, the season after that. It's after that season when it may get tricky. 2-year deals for guys like Foligno and Bonino would bring both a veteran presence, guys who know what you need to do consistently in this league and a stiff presence (thanks Mollie for the inspiration) to a group of younger, more skilled forwards. If Gallant than wants, he can tie them at the hip with Kreider and there is a 2nd/3rd line that should be really difficult to play against and score.

The key to this is opening up spots.

Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Buch
Panarin-Strome-Kravtsov
Kreider-Chytil-Kaako
Howden-Rooney-Gauthier

The guys highlighted are who I would like to see monetized. One of the guys in italics are probably taken in expansion.

I keep coming back to the fact that Chytil needs to be given the opportunity to grab the bull by the horns. The team has taken kid gloves to these guys for long enough. That's not to say we shouldn't expect bumps in the road, but he has 186 games in the NHL. It's time. Either the team believes in him or it doesn't.

Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Kaako
Panarin-Chytil-Kravtsov
Kreider-Bonino-Foligno
_____-Rooney-_____

I think is a very reasonable plan B if they can't land an upgrade over Strome. I mean if Larkin can be had shoot for that, but not everything is going to work out in ideals and its a very practical approach to make us "harder to play against" while still maintaining flexibility if it doesn't work out.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
View attachment 452194

PREACH!

Reactions: cheech70
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad