Speculation: Roster Building Thread VII (2021 Offseason)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
As a long time Ranger fan since 1975. I am glad to be able to read this board and the opinions of other Ranger fans old and new.
As an added bonus we get to feel like insiders by getting info (weather it comes true or not) from people like Edge,Bobbop Amazing Kreiderman and several others which slip my mind at the moment.
If you don’t agree or like someone’s opinion don’t read it. It’s that simple. LGR!

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Go to the Cap charts for our 23-24 season[two years away] and start adding and filling in roster spots and some of you are going to find that many of the lines projected in the last 20 pages are about 10 +million over the cap . Larkin is getting a new deal that season and Mika is one year into his new deal if he is still around and if gone that is a whole new ballgame + we still have some ELC's to clean up and Fox and Miller new deals as well as Shesty . Start calculating and see where you all end up. Plus Kreider is still under his NMC and Trouba still 2 years away from having any flex. It won't be easy for Drury and gets even harder if he starts giving away 3 kids /picks for one guy . Is the cap going to be at 90 Million by then ????

Great post!

Will the cap be 90m by 23/24? Like you imply, probably not. The players owe the owners 600m (The players of the NHL are ''seriously in debt'' - Radio-Canada (CBC) Article). It’s simple math, if the cap “should have been” 90m for 2 years but is kept flat, 32 teams X app. 10m X 2 years = app 600m.

Next season could be great financially, but 90m great? Doubt it. It’s still probably flat for 23/24.

Some have been trying to spin the Gorton firing into meaning that this team is put in win now mode and we should be prepared for future for now trades. It’s impossible for Drury to take on long term money. We are already paying our top 2 guys more than 27 other teams are paying their top 2 highest paid players. If we assume that we besides Kreider, Panarin and Trouba can manage to get 2 goalies + a 4th line + a 3rd D pairing for 14m — ie really really cheap — that leaves us with 3.6m on average to fill 7 of our top 9 forward positions and top two D pairings. That includes our top 2 center positions, a Norris trophy winner in Fox and so forth.

If Fox and our No 1 center gets 16m, they have to be matched by 2 ELCs plus one 1.6m player on the top 3 lines/2 D pairings. Possible? Sure, even if that won’t be any of our current kids who are off their ELCs in 23/24. But we can draft new kids. But that still leaves us with only 3.6m per average for the remaining 5 key positions on the roster, and we already have 3 key positions filled by ELCs/cheap players. What if we get like Eichel? That means that we must have three more — ie six ELCs in total — on our top 2 D pairings and top 3 lines. Of which nobody is on the roster now, ie no Laf, no Kakko, no Kravy, no KAM. They have to be resigned.

It does not add up. We cannot make any costly long term additions.

Last edited:

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

Eichel will not be ready for the start of next season. Even when he does come back, we will hear Eichel wasn't 100% because of the surgery. That's an awful situation for the acquiring team. I saw Elliotte Friedman on the NHL Network on Friday afternoon. The Sabres want a huge return. Does Kevyn Adams think the other teams are stupid? Bad neck. $10M AAV in a flat cap for the next 5 seasons. The acquiring team will have Eichel healthy for 4 seasons assuming he returns from the neck injury and is 100%.

Last edited:

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
This is back to thing with people severely overrating Nils Lundkvist. Here's a very good prospect. For years he's been treated around here like he's a Rasmus Dahlin level prospect and untradeable other than for the very best. Having him as part of a trade for someone like Dylan Larkin who is a borderline 1C who can score 20+ goals, 60+ points, and play strong defense is perfectly fine. He plays a position we are very strong at will have two guys locked in to for a long time. It makes perfect sense to consider swapping him for something we need more given the PP1 spot, LD1, and L2 spot are all fixed long term.

Overrating..... tell me where he ranks as RD prospects in the league. No one is saying Dahlen but you are doing exactly what I am talking about. We have 2 RD prospects so let's trade him for less. Larkin is an good player but let's be real he is coming off 2 pretty underwhelming seasons for a 1C. Granted it was on a bad team but still it counts. Plus 1 injury on that right side and we arent exactly strong anymore.

This is back to the shiny new toy that many people have around here. Trade any prospect for any big name.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Eichel will not be ready for the start of next season. Even when he does come back, we will hear Eichel wasn't 100% because of the surgery. That's an awful situation for the acquiring team. I saw Elliotte Friedman on the NHL Network on Friday afternoon. The Sabres want a huge return. Does Kevyn Adams think the other teams are stupid? Back neck. $10M AAV in a flat cap for the next 5 seasons. The acquitting team will have Eichel healthy for 4 seasons assuming he returns from the neck injury and is 100%.

Could they even give him away?

Eichel isn’t even a great player. Yashin 2.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Eric Lindros was an elite player on a level easily above Eichel’s. Above even someone like Ovechkin. Injuries caught up to him and by time he became a Ranger he wasn’t quite the same player and a couple years after he was a shell. When you take on injured or damaged players you don’t always get what you expect afterwards. That the Sabres want to squeeze every last bit of value out of Eichel?—well they suck for one thing and if they’re trying to keep his medicals to themselves well buyer f***ing beware.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
This board refuses to trade prospects

Or maybe those fans realize there is a flat cap going on right now and those ELCs are valuable. Maybe they also lived through the late 90s and early 2000s where we traded every pick and prospect for every big name available. Seriously every big name that becomes available even if we don't need them has people jumping at the opportunity to post some trade giving up our top prospects.

Maybe just maybe they also did the math and realized we can't resign these guys we are trying to trade for with guys due new contracts.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Or maybe those fans realize there is a flat cap going on right now and those ELCs are valuable. Maybe they also lived through the late 90s and early 2000s where we traded every pick and prospect for every big name available. Seriously every big name that becomes available even if we don't need them has people jumping at the opportunity to post some trade giving up our top prospects.

Maybe just maybe they also did the math and realized we can't resign these guys we are trying to trade for with guys due new contracts.

So your proposal is to never make any trades that don’t involve us trading junk?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Any particular reason you changed your name to copy the person you called "a phoney insider who spends all day on a message board.", mr troll?
He is gone for now. My tolerance for this shit after 7 years as a mod is zero. If anyone else wants to come in and actively spend all day trolling, you will not last long.

f*** that.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think if posters here knew how many conversations that GMs have about opposing teams players that DO NOT GET OUT, it would literally make their heads spin.

Most of it is casual conversation, I think the stuff that actually gets out are the conversations that are multiple in number.

What I appreciate about a guy like @Edge is that he understands this, provides the information in a manner that is neutral in delivery with what I feel is understanding that doesn't commit to anything concrete as all of these issues are fluid and are changing daily.

I also understand the skeptics, but I think he's established himself worth the benefit of doubt.

I think people have every right to be skeptical. That’s their choice.

If there’s a rumor worth mentioning, and I can share it, I try to. If it doesn’t pass the smell test, I typically don’t.

At the end of the day, trade rumors are exactly that.

It’s why there’s a distinction between saying, “have multiple being talking about X, Y, Z” compared to “Rangers on verge of acquiring Eichel for Jones, a fifth round pick and Georgiev.”

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
I see Kravtsov, Jones and 15th for Larkin and Rangers 2nd (previously sent to Detroit with Mark Staal) as a reasonable deal.

Any takers?

No. The deal is said to be one of Kravy/Lundy and the 15th. Why would we add jones just to get a 2nd round pick. Just keep it simple for Larkin.

Payote75

May 11, 2021
If that dude is legit then Eichel could be had for a bag of pucks and libor!!!!

No way anybody trades for that salary free for one year's pay basically if he doesn't play and an unknown future for top notch picks and players let alone if they don't ditch him by next summer his ntc kicks in so is the owner willing to eat all that money and then be forced to trade him where he wants regardless.
Let's face it hockey sense aside and business sense forward no good business man will take all those risks Buffalo is saddled with 50 million 10 probably without working if he has the surgery then they will be held hostage next summer or continue to eat money or just being stubborn and hold onto the player and bleed money.
From purely a business perspective it's a no brainer it's More about finding a taker than demanding top value. It's all poker for sure and buffalo is bluffing big time assuming the injury is what's being reported and he indeed wants or needs the surgery.

If Eichels injury and surgery is being over hyped by his own camp to get him out well that's different. As the world turns tune in tomorrow.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
It’s why there’s a distinction between saying, “have multiple being talking about X, Y, Z” compared to “Rangers on verge of acquiring Eichel for Jones, a fifth round pick and Georgiev.”

Has the latter ever happened? Genuinely curious.

I guess that is the type of reporting I'm accustomed to.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I see Kravtsov, Jones and 15th for Larkin and Rangers 2nd (previously sent to Detroit with Mark Staal) as a reasonable deal.

Any takers?
I do Lundkvist and 15 over Kravtsov.

I don't know if it was a random sample but he's showed me the skill to be a top tier goal scorer. In my mind, value wise, a goal scorer helps this team more than 3RHD. Even more so with Schneider on the way.

We can make a case for Fox-Lundkvist-Schneider in 4 years but that's a loooooong ways away. Trouba is here to stay for at least 4 years.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

Any takers?

nope -

Krav was 9th overall, plus 3rd Rounder Jones and the 15th for Larkin drafted 15th overall who costs more and is due a larger salary in two years.

Reactions: egelband

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Stalking teenagers' families....a bonus!

So here's the background for you and the other two (assuming I'm not addressing the same person under three screen names that have eerily similar writing styles and possibly IP addresses).

The reason I am "vetted" is because long before you graced us with your presence, and we in turn ignored and left you to essentially talk to yourself on here, I was a writer and an editor for the website that accompanied these boards. I was recruited and brought on by the original owners, a pair of brothers who founded the site 24 years ago, give or take a few months.

As such, I had to share my background at that time. Subsequently, when there were changes in leadership, I also would demonstrate my background to the new leaders. Needless to say, I've been around these boards longer than some of our posters have been alive (pre-dating the infamous server move in 2002 that resulted in several years worth of data loss).

The people here know there are times I can't post certain information, because these boards have more than a few people from the team, and the industry lurking. I can also tell you that they track information and do keyword searches, so I have to change things up. Now, most long-time people also know that I try to make it somewhat obvious to figure out what is going on or that there are ways we cheat the system (one of the benefits of having a "Like" system).

But to your point, the Rangers haven't made a move in many, many days. But, when they have made moves, or when potential moves pick up enough steam, there's a very good chance that the people on this board hear it first.

For example, we are discussing Larkin because Friedman brought him up. But, several months before Friedman brought him up, we knew Detroit was listening. Again, it was on here long before it was out there.

Other examples include our talks with Calgary, our talks with Carolina, our talks with Tampa, etc. etc. etc.

Now, maybe we're just lucky and we guess right. But you don't really hear much about us making predictions that the Rangers had multiple discussions with Minnesota or Montreal, and how those deals fell through. In very many instances, they are with teams we end up dealing with or whose names come up in mainstream publications later.

And to be clear, it's not just me. We've know which prospects were draft targets months in advance. We've known which players the Rangers were listening on, etc. We've know that because you have people who can go straight to sources --- not a cousin's brother's friend's ex-roommate type scenario.

So either we have people here who are so incredibly good at guessing that they should be part of the psychic friends network, or they're legitimately passing along information as they can and as they deem to have some legs.

But let's even say I'm full of shit. I'm a big phony. Let's ignore the people who I let in on the secret, behind the scenes. Let's forget that some of them are mods, let's forget that myself and others have literally explained things minutes before they happen. We can throw all of that out the window.

Here's the most beautiful part about all of this...

You don't have to believe it.

You can ignore it.

You can put me on ignore. You can roll your eyes. You can even go to any other site or message board you want.

If you want to go to 247 or whatever it is called, you can. We wish you well.

But if you think you're winning people over to your thought process or amazing anyone with your wit, you're really not. I don't know if you've noticed, but people are pretty much ignoring you. And when they're not, they're telling you that they don't want you around.

And if that's the case? And I'm full of shit, and someone else is "stalking teenagers" and 123sports or 247hockey or whatever site you like is better, then by all means --- go grace them with your presence. Far be it from me or anyone else to contribute to your unhappiness.

Because if you're just going to be ignored or have people make fun of you, why would you even want to stick around? That just sounds like such a miserable experience.

So here's the deal, I'll even take a chance and spell it all out for you.

Yeah, Detroit has its eyes on the second pick in the draft. Why? Because they supposedly love Power and Beniers and have them 1A/1B on their draft list.

Detroit has a ton of picks --- frankly, from 2019 until now now, and into next year, they're gonna have a plethora of young talent. Young talent that was specifically targeted by Yzerman for his vision.

So, that begs the question, how does Detroit hope to make a deal? Well, for starters they hope to hope to dangle their 6th pick and additional assets. But, they also have an interest in off-setting their cost.

So what does that mean? That means re-visiting conversations with teams that share a mutual interest in making a deal. That includes the Rangers, who have previously inquired about Larkin. In turn, Detroit has made no secret of their interest in guys like Kravtsov and Lundkvist.

In fact, the interest in those two guys back to 2018, before Yzerman was even back with the Wings. To that end, they were prepared to take Kravtsov if Zadina wasn't on the board and were hoping to leap frog from some teams at the end of the first to take Lundkvist. Ultimately talks for the latter did not come to a fruition. But you get the point, they've liked those two kids for a while.

So why the Rangers? Because they can give them at least one player they've liked for a while, and because they can give them a mid first round pick that can be used to offset the deal they are trying to make, and because they can get a valuable third commodity in a potential deal with the Rangers that can also be used to entice Seattle, without coming from Detroit's existing stockpile.

Why are they engaged with Seattle? Because Seattle has made it known that while they aren't interested in trading out of the first round, they would be interested in trading down if it brought back additional assets --- including picks and/or a younger talent that might closer to playing in the NHL.

And for the record, the Rangers and Seattle have also talked --- so those two teams are familiar with one another as well.

Why move Larkin? Potentially for several reasons --- all of which have been previously been mentioned on here. Again, you don't have to believe it. That's the beauty of this whole thing.

So there, you've actually received more attention from me in one message than you've probably received from this entire board in weeks. I don't know how much more you're potentially looking for. After all, I've provided quite the recap on the history of these boards, myself, and the information you felt was coded. But consider it my goodwill gesture to you.

Peace be with you.

Last edited:

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I agree yet i was referring to multiple conversations on Sirius NHL Radio dating back to the link Golden Knights Building Dangerous Reputation Concerning Loyalty - SinBin.vegas

but yeah, you can't pay for past performances. Seems Vegas parts ways with many pretty quickly though including our new coach
Can blame a lot of this on…wait for it…Gerard Gallant. He sold the Knights on the “bunch of misfits” identity and the players bought in and loved it. Once the management and the owner started moving out players and bringing in stars, that identity faded.

Loyalty matters. A lot.

Reactions: DekeR and BBKers

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
So here's the background for you and the other two (assuming I'm not addressing the same person under three screen names that have eerily similar writing styles and possibly IP addresses).

The reason I am "vetted" is because long before you graced us with your presence, and we in turn ignored and left you to essentially talk to yourself on here, I was a writer and an editor for the website that accompanied these boards. I was recruited and brought on by the original owners, a pair of brothers who founded the site 24 years ago, give or take a few months.

As such, I had to share my background at that time. Subsequently, when there were changes in leadership, I also would demonstrate my background to the new leaders. Needless to say, I've been around these boards longer than some of our posters have been alive (pre-dating the infamous server move in 2002 that resulted in several years worth of data loss).

The people here know there are times I can't post certain information, because these boards have more than a few people from the team, and the industry lurking. I can also tell you that they track information and do keyword searches, so I have to change things up. Now, most long-time people also know that I try to make it somewhat obvious to figure out what is going on or that there are ways we cheat the system (one of the benefits of having a "Like" system).

But to your point, the Rangers haven't made a move in many, many days. But, when they have made moves, or when potential moves pick up enough steam, there's a very good chance that the people on this board hear it first.

For example, we are discussing Larkin because Friedman brought him up. But, several months before Friedman brought him up, we knew Detroit was listening. Again, it was on here long before it was out there.

Other examples include our talks with Calgary, our talks with Carolina, our talks with Tampa, etc. etc. etc.

Now, maybe we're just lucky and we guess right. But you don't really hear much about us making predictions that the Rangers had multiple discussions with Minnesota or Montreal, and how those deals fell through. In very many instances, they are with teams we end up dealing with or whose names come up in mainstream publications later.

And to be clear, it's not just me. We've know which prospects were draft targets months in advance. We've known which players the Rangers were listening on, etc. We've know that because you have people who can go straight to sources --- not a cousin's brother's friend's ex-roommate type scenario.

So either we have people here who are so incredibly good at guessing that they should be part of the psychic friends network, or they're legitimately passing along information as they can and as they deem to have some legs.

But let's even say I'm full of shit. I'm a big phony. Let's ignore the people who I let in on the secret, behind the scenes. Let's forget that some of them are mods, let's forget that myself and others have literally explained things minutes before they happen. We can throw all of that out the window.

Here's the most beautiful part about all of this...

You don't have to believe it.

You can ignore it.

You can put me on ignore. You can roll your eyes. You can even go to any other site or message board you want.

If you want to go to 247 or whatever it is called, you can. We wish you well.

But if you think you're winning people over to your thought process or amazing anyone with your wit, you're really not. I don't know if you've noticed, but people are pretty much ignoring you. And when they're not, they're telling you that they don't want you around.

And if that's the case? And I'm full of shit, and someone else is "stalking teenagers" and 123sports or 247hockey or whatever site you like is better, then by all means --- go grace them with your presence. Far be it from me or anyone else to contribute to your unhappiness.

Because if you're just going to be ignored or have people make fun of you, why would you even want to stick around? That just sounds like such a miserable experience.

So here's the deal, I'll even take a chance and spell it all out for you.

Yeah, Detroit has its eyes on the second pick in the draft. Why? Because they supposedly love Power and Beniers and have them 1A/1B on their draft list.

Detroit has a ton of picks --- frankly, from 2019 until now now, and into next year, they're gonna have a plethora of young talent. Young talent that was specifically targeted by Yzerman for his vision.

So, that begs the question, how does Detroit hope to make a deal? Well, for starters they hope to hope to dangle their 6th pick and additional assets. But, they also have an interest in off-setting their cost.

So what does that mean? That means re-visiting conversations with teams that share a mutual interest in making a deal. That includes the Rangers, who have previously inquired about Larkin. In turn, Detroit has made no secret of their interest in guys like Kravtsov and Lundkvist.

In fact, the interest in those two guys back to 2018, before Yzerman was even back with the Wings. To that end, they were prepared to take Kravtsov if Zadina wasn't on the board and were hoping to leap frog from some teams at the end of the first to take Lundkvist. Ultimately talks for the latter did not come to a fruition. But you get the point, they've liked those two kids for a while.

So why the Rangers? Because they can give them at least one player they've liked for a while, and because they can give them a mid first round pick that can be used to offset the deal they are trying to make, and because they can get a valuable third commodity in a potential deal with the Rangers that can also be used to entice Seattle, without coming from Detroit's existing stockpile.

Why are they engaged with Seattle? Because Seattle has made it known that while they aren't interested in trading out of the first round, they would be interested in trading down if it brought back additional assets --- including picks and/or a younger talent that might closer to playing in the NHL.

And for the record, the Rangers and Seattle have also talked --- so those two teams are familiar with one another as well.

Why move Larkin? Potentially for several reasons --- all of which have been previously been mentioned on here. Again, you don't have to believe it. That's the beauty of this whole thing.

So there, you've actually received more attention from me in one message than you've probably received from this entire board in weeks. I don't know how much more you're potentially looking for. After all, I've provided quite the recap on the history of these boards, myself, and the information you felt was coded. But consider it my goodwill gesture to you.

Peace be with you.
Damn you went scorched Earth. Hope this doesnt have consequences from your sources. Screw that guy, have a drink and enjoy the rest of the weekend man. Hope you’re all good, theres far more on here that appreciate you than those who hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca