Speculation: Roster Building Thread VII (2021 Offseason)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Kreider deal was a questionable decision when he was resigned and even more this past season. However, folks forget what a monster he was from December til season interruption during 19-20. His play essentially forced Gorton to make the decision he made. Personally I’d always preferred Buchnevich over Kreider (but this is water under the bridge) but I want to see HEALTHY Kreider with a normal full offseason training playing under Gallant. We could be talking him flirting with a 40-goal season. Flame away

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
@Ola Did you even stop to give it a second thought before posting this nonsense about drafting based on a percentage of position over full lineup?

NYblades

Mar 9, 2004
Kreider deal was a questionable decision when he was resigned and even more this past season. However, folks forget what a monster he was from December til season interruption during 19-20. His play essentially forced Gorton to make the decision he made. Personally I’d always preferred Buchnevich over Kreider (but this is water under the bridge) but I want to see HEALTHY Kreider with a normal full offseason training playing under Gallant. We could be talking him flirting with a 40-goal season. Flame away

If Gallant can get more out of Kreider and it least not make him disappear in games, I will be very happy!

Reactions: wafflepadsave

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
BTW, I just dont know what to make of the fact that Chris Kreider is NOT seen as a bigger favorite to be given the C than he is. Not saying that there is some skeleton in the closet, but there does seem to be something there that isn’t optimal at least that we aren’t privy to.

I think its more that this board is not talking him up for it, but I have no doubt Drury and Gallant WILL consider him strongly for the role.

Reactions: deathb4disco

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
If Gallant can get more out of Kreider and it least not make him disappear in games, I will be very happy!
Yeah like Kreider was the only one who disappeared in games at times! I can name about 10 others who did the same. People should stop the ranting on Kreider. He is what he is but that includes being a 30 goal scorer. With the new coach and system that may go potentially up a bit. The offseason should be spent on improving the glaring needs this team has. More grit and better play up the middle. I have been saying it so far and will continue to say it. This team will not improve if we go into the season with our 3 centers being Zib, Strome and Chytl. We need to replace at least one (Strome) and really think about whether Chytl can produce consistently at the position as a 2 way player.

Reactions: Flan the incredible

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I agree with you aside from the goals prediction. I think Kreider is just to inconsistent in terms of goal production. And he really doesn’t have a scoring touch. But I think he can earn most of his contract at least if he’s a durable forechecker and space creator even on the third line. I can live with 20-20 from him if he’s a presence forechecking and making space every shift. And that’s where I think a coach can make a difference. Don’t play him in a scoring role. Match him up against opponents too lines. Tell him to be a disruptive force.

Reactions: NoQuitInNewMexico

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
This is true. The year before last, even when Kreids was in a scoring slump, he was still using his speed, still driving the net, screening the goalie well, etc He was still doing good things that have a positive outcome on the game. This past season, he had his 15-17 game scoring streak and was an invisible non factor the rest of the time which was alarming. Hopefully gallant can get the most out of him.
I think like many players on this team, Quinn just couldn’t motivate Kreids for whatever the reason. I think Quinn largely lost the room IMO. That was the biggest need for the change.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I agree with you aside from the goals prediction. I think Kreider is just to inconsistent in terms of goal production. And he really doesn’t have a scoring touch. But I think he can earn most of his contract at least if he’s a durable forechecker and space creator even on the third line. I can live with 20-20 from him if he’s a presence forechecking and making space every shift. And that’s where I think a coach can make a difference. Don’t play him in a scoring role. Match him up against opponents too lines. Tell him to be a disruptive force.

Kreider is a 30-goal forward. With that post I went on a limb for sure but if everything falls into place then it’s not an impossibility in one particular season. Of course I assumed he’d be in top-6 (not a guarantee but still a pretty good chance) and on 1PP unit (pretty much a guarantee).

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
This is true. The year before last, even when Kreids was in a scoring slump, he was still using his speed, still driving the net, screening the goalie well, etc He was still doing good things that have a positive outcome on the game. This past season, he had his 15-17 game scoring streak and was an invisible non factor the rest of the time which was alarming. Hopefully gallant can get the most out of him.
I think like many players on this team, Quinn just couldn’t motivate Kreids for whatever the reason. I think Quinn largely lost the room IMO. That was the biggest need for the change.

I don’t think it was “alarming” per se. He was clearly not healthy but playing through it for as long as he could.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I don’t think it was “alarming” per se. He was clearly not healthy but playing through it for as long as he could.
Yea but even prior to last season after the deal was signed and he had the documented foot injury. He was still doing things on the ice even though he was held off the scoreboard. This past season besides a handful of games he was largely a non factor and floated. I don’t know what his injury was, but he wasn’t even the same screening the goalie. Not too many deflections, and not as good as he was the year prior. And the year before that as well.
The alarming part was this was the first year of his big deal, and play wise probably the worst in his last 4-5. He’s lucky he scored a lot of goals in bunches early or statistically it would have been awful for him as well.
All the posts going back over the years say the same thing. I believe his breakaways per game this past season were also down. Even if he didn’t convert on them, he was still driving the net generating scoring chances. Last season everything was down across the board

Last edited:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Kreider is a 30-goal forward. With that post I went on a limb for sure but if everything falls into place then it’s not an impossibility in one particular season. Of course I assumed he’d be in top-6 (not a guarantee but still a pretty good chance) and on 1PP unit (pretty much a guarantee).
I guess my point is, I agree he can be worth his contract but I also think he can do it without being a big goal scorer. In fact, I’d advocate moving him to a role where maybe he doesn’t have as many scoring chances (at even strength) but can influence games in a more in terms of defense, forechecking, and possession against opponents scoring lines.
I would definitely leave him on the power play. He is a unit in front of the goalie.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
I guess my point is, I agree he can be worth his contract but I also think he can do it without being a big goal scorer. In fact, I’d advocate moving him to a role where maybe he doesn’t have as many scoring chances (at even strength) but can influence games in a more in terms of defense, forechecking, and possession against opponents scoring lines.
I would definitely leave him on the power play. He is a unit in front of the goalie.

Gauthier would be great in front of the net as part of PP2. I mean he is Kreider-lite after all

Reactions: egelband

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
I think we get some depth players and see how this team looks under a new coach before we start making big moves.

For all we know Chytil can turn into a beast #2. Barron becomes a great bottom 6er and Zib returns to pre Covid form.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Just realized, Gallant kind of looks like unmasked Darth Vader...

THE EVIL EMPIRE IS BACK, BABY. New York Rangers, pre-eminent NHL franchise in the United States, will dominate the league beginning next year.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I think we get some depth players and see how this team looks under a new coach before we start making big moves.

For all we know Chytil can turn into a beast #2. Barron becomes a great bottom 6er and Zib returns to pre Covid form.

I think Zib proved he’s just find a his 2nd half

I trade Strome this year. He’s done real well they just need a shake up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes