Speculation: Roster Building Thread VII (2021 Offseason)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Has the latter ever happened? Genuinely curious.

I guess that is the type of reporting I'm accustomed to.

Depending on the time, we've shared who was likely at the top of their draft lists, this board knew the the McD trade before it went down, it knew who we were talking to before other deals went down (Carolina, Calgary, etc.).

Now what's really hard to do is sometimes nail down the final deals.

For example, one of the things that Gorton liked to do was break trades down into smaller packages so they got across the finish line. However, he frequently revisited those same discussions with the same team. That's why Adam Fox was a separate deal than Brady Skjaei with Carolina. It's also why Nick Holden wasn't part of the Rick Nash deal, or why Buch didn't end up in Calgary but Braden Schneider ended up a Rangers with Calgary's pick.

It's why this board knew about Trouba's involvement in the ADA situation before media reported on it, or why Larkin is a hot discussion because of Friedman but was actually mentioned as a "keep your eyes open" comment on here several months ago. And for the record --- the response then by some was "There's no way they're listening on him! Why would they move him? That's bullshit!"

And yet here we are.

I'm not the one making the deals. So it's really hard to come and say "Yeah, so and so is going to do this tomorrow." That's a tall ask. But myself and others can at least prepare people for the possibility.

But that comes with a catch. Being in favor of the move doesn't make it a foregone conclusion. And hating the move doesn't make it fantasy bullshit either.

The chatter is what it is, whether it reaffirms our highest hopes or most dreaded fears.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
So here's the background for you and the other two (assuming I'm not addressing the same person under three screen names that have eerily similar writing styles and possibly IP addresses).

The reason I am "vetted" is because long before you graced us with your presence, and we in turn ignored and left you to essentially talk to yourself on here, I was a writer and an editor for the website that accompanied these boards. I was recruited and brought on by the original owners, a pair of brothers who founded the site 24 years ago, give or take a few months.

As such, I had to share my background at that time. Subsequently, when there were changes in leadership, I also would demonstrate my background to the new leaders. Needless to say, I've been around these boards longer than some of our posters have been alive (pre-dating the infamous server move in 2002 that resulted in several years worth of data loss).

The people here know there are times I can't post certain information, because these boards have more than a few people from the team, and the industry lurking. I can also tell you that they track information and do keyword searches, so I have to change things up. Now, most long-time people also know that I try to make it somewhat obvious to figure out what is going on or that there are ways we cheat the system (one of the benefits of having a "Like" system).

But to your point, the Rangers haven't made a move in many, many days. But, when they have made moves, or when potential moves pick up enough steam, there's a very good chance that the people on this board hear it first.

For example, we are discussing Larkin because Friedman brought him up. But, several months before Friedman brought him up, we knew Detroit was listening. Again, it was on here long before it was out there.

Other examples include our talks with Calgary, our talks with Carolina, our talks with Tampa, etc. etc. etc.

Now, maybe we're just lucky and we guess right. But you don't really hear much about us making predictions that the Rangers had multiple discussions with Minnesota or Montreal, and how those deals fell through. In very many instances, they are with teams we end up dealing with or whose names come up in mainstream publications later.

And to be clear, it's not just me. We've know which prospects were draft targets months in advance. We've known which players the Rangers were listening on, etc. We've know that because you have people who can go straight to sources --- not a cousin's brother's friend's ex-roommate type scenario.

So either we have people here who are so incredibly good at guessing that they should be part of the psychic friends network, or they're legitimately passing along information as they can and as they deem to have some legs.

But let's even say I'm full of shit. I'm a big phony. Let's ignore the people who I let in on the secret, behind the scenes. Let's forget that some of them are mods, let's forget that myself and others have literally explained things minutes before they happen. We can throw all of that out the window.

Here's the most beautiful part about all of this...

You don't have to believe it.

You can ignore it.

You can put me on ignore. You can roll your eyes. You can even go to any other site or message board you want.

If you want to go to 247 or whatever it is called, you can. We wish you well.

But if you think you're winning people over to your thought process or amazing anyone with your wit, you're really not. I don't know if you've noticed, but people are pretty much ignoring you. And when they're not, they're telling you that they don't want you around.

And if that's the case? And I'm full of shit, and someone else is "stalking teenagers" and 123sports or 247hockey or whatever site you like is better, then by all means --- go grace them with your presence. Far be it from me or anyone else to contribute to your unhappiness.

Because if you're just going to be ignored or have people make fun of you, why would you even want to stick around? That just sounds like such a miserable experience.

So here's the deal, I'll even take a chance and spell it all out for you.

Yeah, Detroit has its eyes on the second pick in the draft. Why? Because they supposedly love Power and Beniers and have them 1A/1B on their draft list.

Detroit has a ton of picks --- frankly, from 2019 until now now, and into next year, they're gonna have a plethora of young talent. Young talent that was specifically targeted by Yzerman for his vision.

So, that begs the question, how does Detroit hope to make a deal? Well, for starters they hope to hope to dangle their 6th pick and additional assets. But, they also have an interest in off-setting their cost.

So what does that mean? That means re-visiting conversations with teams that share a mutual interest in making a deal. That includes the Rangers, who have previously inquired about Larkin. In turn, Detroit has made no secret of their interest in guys like Kravtsov and Lundkvist.

In fact, the interest in those two guys back to 2018, before Yzerman was even back with the Wings. To that end, they were prepared to take Kravtsov if Zadina wasn't on the board and were hoping to leap frog from some teams at the end of the first to take Lundkvist. Ultimately talks for the latter did not come to a fruition. But you get the point, they've liked those two kids for a while.

So why the Rangers? Because they can give them at least one player they've liked for a while, and because they can give them a mid first round pick that can be used to offset the deal they are trying to make, and because they can get a valuable third commodity in a potential deal with the Rangers that can also be used to entice Seattle, without coming from Detroit's existing stockpile.

Why are they engaged with Seattle? Because Seattle has made it known that while they aren't interested in trading out of the first round, they would be interested in trading down if it brought back additional assets --- including picks and/or a younger talent that might closer to playing in the NHL.

And for the record, the Rangers and Seattle have also talked --- so those two teams are familiar with one another as well.

Why move Larkin? Potentially for several reasons --- all of which have been previously been mentioned on here. Again, you don't have to believe it. That's the beauty of this whole thing.

So there, you've actually received more attention from me in one message than you've probably received from this entire board in weeks. I don't know how much more you're potentially looking for. After all, I've provided quite the recap on the history of these boards, myself, and the information you felt was coded. But consider it my goodwill gesture to you.

Peace be with you.
Bravo!

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
The only IP I got is intellectual property. I'm Edge's biggest supporter now. I stan a non-stalking insider.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Wow @Edge you of all people don’t need to justify yourself. Also loved the IP comment lol.

Here's the thing I've said for years --- everyone can take or leave the information that is shared.

I'm not selling anything. I don't publish a magazine. I don't have a YouTube channel. I don't distribute a newsletter or steer people to a website or a social media platform. The amount of money I make off what we talk about on here is equal to the number of electoral votes that Kermit the Frog received in the last presidential election --- zip, zero, zilch.

Whether the chatter aligns with something I favor (moving back up to grab Zegras, trading for Larkin) or stands in opposition to something I favor (re-signing Kreider rather than trading him to Dallas, not taking Lapierre in last year's draft, etc), it gets repeated when it can.

I get the skepticism. That's normal. I'd dare say its healthy. I don't get brownie points for making sales or a better seat in church for finding converts. I'm here because I helped build this site more than 20 years ago and because people are fans who care about this team and have a passion for discussing and debating it. That's pretty much the long and short of it. Sometimes the deals finish, sometimes they change, and sometimes they fall apart.

All of it is completely out of my hands and the hands of anyone else who posts here.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Here's the thing I've said for years --- everyone can take or leave the information that is shared.

I'm not selling anything. I don't publish a magazine. I don't have a YouTube channel. I don't distribute a newsletter or steer people to a website or a social media platform. The amount of money I make off what we talk about on here is equal to the number of electoral votes that Kermit the Frog received in the last presidential election --- zip, zero, zilch.

Whether the chatter aligns with something I favor (moving back up to grab Zegras, trading for Larkin) or stands in opposition to something I favor (re-signing Kreider rather than trading him to Dallas, not taking Lapierre in last year's draft, etc), it gets repeated when it can.

I get the skepticism. That's normal. I'd dare say its healthy. I don't get brownie points for making sales or a better seat in church for finding converts. I'm here because I helped build this site more than 20 years ago and because people are fans who care about this team and have a passion for discussing and debating it. That's pretty much the long and short of it. Sometimes the deals finish, sometimes they change, and sometimes they fall apart.

All of it is completely out of my hands and the hands of anyone else who posts here.

Do you know what the offer from Dallas was?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Are you kidding me?!

I hate krieder and gorton more now lol

Yeah, it hurts.

Look back at the debates around that time too. You can almost see the turning point where the votes on here started shifting toward keeping Kreider though.

I was in the camp that wanted to trade him. But even I admit that I didn't think Robertson would be what he is.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Yeah, it hurts.

Look back at the debates around that time too. You can almost see the turning point where the votes on here started shifting toward keeping Kreider though.

I was in the camp that wanted to trade him. But even I admit that I didn't think Robertson would be what he is.

Yea i was with you in that camp. I wanted him gone and did not want to pay him anders lee type money and term, WHILE giving out a NTC lol when he doesnt deserve it and thats just what we ended up doing.

Who knows if Robertson would have broke out in the same way here that he did in Dallas but he def could have filled the 3rd line nicely with the same type traits and we could have picked a center with the stars pick.

But cant cry over spilled milk. Gotta do the best we can with what we have now, and that is a team oozing with talent up and down the lineup and prospects wise. Now its the time to go out and get what we do want bc we wont be drafting in the top half of the draft hopefully for a long time.

Reactions: NYRangers16

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Hell's Kitchen

#Respect

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Yea i was with you in that camp. I wanted him gone and did not want to pay him anders lee type money and term, WHILE giving out a NTC lol when he doesnt deserve it and thats just what we ended up doing.

Who knows if Robertson would have broke out in the same way here that he did in Dallas but he def could have filled the 3rd line nicely with the same type traits and we could have picked a center with the stars pick.

But cant cry over spilled milk. Gotta do the best we can with what we have now, and that is a team oozing with talent up and down the lineup and prospects wise. Now its the time to go out and get what we do want bc we wont be drafting in the top half of the draft hopefully for a long time.

You can’t cry over spilled milk but you can keep pointing out how trading Kreider was the most obviously correct move ever and we should have taken that deal all day long.

So that we can remember next time someone else wants to advocate clutching to veterans. If the value is great, parlay the asset.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
You can’t cry over spilled milk but you can keep pointing out how trading Kreider was the most obviously correct move ever and we should have taken that deal all day long.

So that we can remember next time someone else wants to advocate clutching to veterans. If the value is great, parlay the asset.

Oh absolutely, its imperative that you learn from your mistakes and others.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

No one, not 1 person on here ever thought there would be a snowballs chance in hell that LaF would fall into our laps. Kreider at the time was playing the best, most motivated hockey I have ever seen him play. Even though his point totals were largely the same, he was having a tremendous impact on the overall game breakaways net front presence , chemistry with Zibby, you name It.

a first and Robertson would have been nice, especially with how robertson looks now. But fact of the matter was, we thought our string of luck had stopped with Kakko. LaF wasn’t even a fairy tale at that point. And we would have been going into the following season with panarin and what on the left side???? Hindsight is 20/20
Let’s not make up our own revisionist history. We had a young team without any real leaders. Kreids leaving would have been losing another vet in the room while still playing at a high level. Obviously now with him destined for 3rd line duty it looks like a colossal mistake, put at that time pre-covid. Pre-LaF you mind as well flip a coin

Last edited:
Reactions: kovazub94

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I dont know what is more crazy. Some of the posters in this thread going after Edge and Bobbop or that the Rangers could have had Robertson, a #1 plus one other piece for Kreider.

Granted no one could have predicted how good Robertson was last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad