Speculation: Roster Building Thread VII (2019/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
Just thought I'd clarify the positions of three of our top forward prospects:

1. Filip Chytil - Drafted as a center but after not seizing the 2C job in training camp at the age of 20 we've concluded that he can not be a C in the NHL and his future is on the W.
2. Vitali Kravtsov - Drafted as a W and has historically played W but at the age of 19 we've concluded he actually may be best at C.
3. Kaapo Kakko - Drafted as a W and has historically played W but at the age of 18 we've already concluded he would not be capable of playing C and should be left on the W. At the same time despite the prevailing theory that C is much more important than W we've also concluded that if we had the number 1 overall pick we would have taken the W Kakko ove the C Hughes.
Hey you don’t speak for everybody.
No one has concluded anything.
it’s awesome that we have prospects like these. It’s fun.
Let’s be patient watch them develop and enjoy the ride. LGR!

Reactions: egelband

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Obviously it's not as simple as: we're good team or we're a bad team. This is what I've gleaned through 3 games.

- So far the D units and Goalies have been pretty decent. The forward unit is currently the weak spot.
- The forwards are failing at puck support all over the ice. The forwards aren't supporting the breakout enough so that the D have shorter passes to make. And then, they're not establishing a forecheck or a cycle. We've been scoring off the rush and on special teams. But not really any of those greasy goals a team needs 5v5. Cycling, puck back to the Point, shot with a screen or tip/rebound. And it all comes back to puck support.
- Outside of the first line, the forward units seem disjointed. We've got guys who play a speed game playing with slower players all over the ice. And they're not complimenting each other. As an example: having Kreider shoot down the wing at mach 5 isn't helpful if Strome and Kakko are a zone away from him. And asking Kreids to slow down is not taking advantage of his skillset.
- What needs to happen is Quinn needs to focus on just figuring out 2 lines. Screw balance. Just get two forward lines who can maintain possession the O zone and pressure the other team.

If I'm Quinn, this is what I'd do:
Put KZB back together. Kreider and Kakko aren't a fit.
Panarin - Chytil - Kakko. Call up Chytil. He has the speed to play with Panarin and the size to work with Kakko along the boards.

Start there. Just get two lines going.

Reactions: bl02

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Yeah.. we may be in for a long season. Even the Ottawa game that we seemingly dominated was likely a product of Georgiev being great and some good luck. We still got destroyed analytically 5 on 5 in that game.

Are these score adjusted?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Yeah.. we may be in for a long season. Even the Ottawa game that we seemingly dominated was likely a product of Georgiev being great and some good luck. We still got destroyed analytically 5 on 5 in that game.

NYR and PHI have only played 3 games. Most teams have played 5 or 6.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
People love to make inferences offer super small data sets. Not saying they are meaningless but you see a ton of weird results in it. STL/SJ are also near the bottom. LA is near the top. Tierney has also had extremely odd data to start the year yet he posts it anyway (example being his model projected EDM as 70% to beat Vancouver opening night way out of line with all the betting odds and then he explained it wit just lack of data...so I don't really know why you'd post it knowing it's wrong. And then today he has OTT as a massive favorite over MIN despite MIN being a -140 favorite).

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Obviously it's not as simple as: we're good team or we're a bad team. This is what I've gleaned through 3 games.

- So far the D units and Goalies have been pretty decent. The forward unit is currently the weak spot.
- The forwards are failing at puck support all over the ice. The forwards aren't supporting the breakout enough so that the D have shorter passes to make. And then, they're not establishing a forecheck or a cycle. We've been scoring off the rush and on special teams. But not really any of those greasy goals a team needs 5v5. Cycling, puck back to the Point, shot with a screen or tip/rebound. And it all comes back to puck support.
- Outside of the first line, the forward units seem disjointed. We've got guys who play a speed game playing with slower players all over the ice. And they're not complimenting each other. As an example: having Kreider shoot down the wing at mach 5 isn't helpful if Strome and Kakko are a zone away from him. And asking Kreids to slow down is not taking advantage of his skillset.
- What needs to happen is Quinn needs to focus on just figuring out 2 lines. Screw balance. Just get two forward lines who can maintain possession the O zone and pressure the other team.

Panarin - Chytil - Kakko. Call up Chytil. He has the speed to play with Panarin and the size to work with Kakko along the boards.

This is giving me PTSD memories of watching Gomez mule the puck into the offensive zone while the rest of the Rangers hadn't even gotten past the red line, immediately get surrounded by 3 or 4 opposing players and getting stripped of the puck.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
People love to make inferences offer super small data sets. Not saying they are meaningless but you see a ton of weird results in it. STL/SJ are also near the bottom. LA is near the top. Tierney has also had extremely odd data to start the year yet he posts it anyway (example being his model projected EDM as 70% to beat Vancouver opening night way out of line with all the betting odds and then he explained it wit just lack of data...so I don't really know why you'd post it knowing it's wrong. And then today he has OTT as a massive favorite over MIN despite MIN being a -140 favorite).
Content reigns supreme

Reactions: William Moneylander

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
There's a report that Dubas met with Griogrenko in Russia. He's a guy I thought the Rangers might check in on later this season if nobody was stepping up into that 2C role.

effen

Feb 3, 2018

Quinn's kept KZB in his back pocket for a midseason line shakeup. A known quantity when a stagnant team needs a boost. Panarin can mask ~everything the 2C group (Strome, Andersson, Howden, Chytil, my mom, guy off the street) can't do and that's the second fairly obvious adjustment.

I don't think Chytil factors in to the big club as a whole right now, he's on his own island in HFD and that's for the better. If he forces his way up, awesome, that's what you want. Same thing with Andersson on the 4th line. Making them force their way up is a positive thing for their development.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

I’m on board with splitting up Panarin and Zibanejad. Not on board with yanking Chytil back up already and putting him in the spot he failed to grab during preseason.

Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Panarin-Strome-Kakko
or
Panarin-Howden-Kakko

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Meh. I feel like he's proven less for that potential spot that some of our own options at this point.

I'd be admittedly on the fence about it, but if we're coming up on the trade deadline and our options aren't showing the steps the Rangers were hoping for, he seemed like a guy who might be a fall-back option. Low risk and potentially high-reward. Wasn't that long ago that Dadonov was a NHL cast-off. Not to say I think Grigorenko is a 70 point player lying in wait, but he could be worth a shot.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
If we ever go out and get a center, I would definitely want it to be a guy that has a lot of speed and can carry the puck. That is what we are going to have problems with.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I'd be admittedly on the fence about it, but if we're coming up on the trade deadline and our options aren't showing the steps the Rangers were hoping for, he seemed like a guy who might be a fall-back option. Low risk and potentially high-reward. Wasn't that long ago that Dadonov was a NHL cast-off. Not to say I think Grigorenko is a 70 point player lying in wait, but he could be worth a shot.
Depends on what it’d take to sign. With the right numbers, he could at worst be just a deadline flip or some depth in Hartford.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

The difference is that Dadonov is a decent skater. Grigorenko... isn’t.

Him being able to have some success in the KHL is not a surprise. He’s a good player, but his particular skill set is really hard to translate into NHL success.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Wouldve preferred to move Smith, even with retained salary and a mid-round pick, over moving Namestnikov. It’s only been one game, but our middle-six production has bottomed out. Strome isn’t filling the gap and our kids aren’t ready for the shot, at least as far as Quinn is concerned.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Chytil needs some time guys, he also needs to fill out a bit and learn that he has to earn his ice. I still see him potentially being a RNH type player down the road but he needs to work harder to get the puck.

Reactions: leetch99

rangerfan_79

Jun 1, 2007
justanfyi.com
We've played only one team so far that appears to be sound in structure in combination with a legitimate top line. First two teams have severe flaws that may see them finish in bottom half of the league.

Maybe not having a scheduling brain fart would have helped that last game but we are young and will get better.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Three games in. Less than 5% of the season.

We have questions on D and secondary scoring.

These are questions we knew needed to be answered. but if ANYONE thought they would be answered this early is delusional.

Seriously. It’s a process and I don’t feel like there’s a ton of value in evaluating that process at each moment along the way.

I realize that this is part of what message board communities do, because it’s an ongoing conversation, but it’s still frustrating to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad