Speculation: Roster Building Thread VII (2019/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Quinn promoted a 21 year old center to 2C but it wasn't the 21 year old center that I wanted so he's still terrible at player development amirite?

Quinn giving Howden a long leash isn't exactly something new. Howden was pretty awful at times last year and still got fed minutes.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Quinn promoted a 21 year old center to 2C but it wasn't the 21 year old center that I wanted so he's still terrible at player development amirite?

I got nothing to say about player development right now really I just don't really like Howden's game at the moment

that said, rather a young kid with maybe soem upside get a shot rather than riding the Strome train to bust land

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I sure as **** don’t like him in the top nine. Am I wrong to? Is that a biased opinion? Come on.

Smith doesn't belong in the top 9... but neither do Haley and McKegg so it is kind of a non issue.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
With the current roster at forward the bottom 6 is gonna be pretty mediocre no matter how you assemble them. It's basically 4 4th line level players and two wildcards (Strome and Andersson) filling it out.

The important thing is to find the right guy for the 2nd line to give us two functional scoring lines with chemistry.

I also don't think Quinn is tanking. If NYR really, really struggle this season, I think he loses his job. NYR may not have gone into this season thinking playoffs right away, but it's a big warning sign if we finish bottom 7 again.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
With the current roster at forward the bottom 6 is gonna be pretty mediocre no matter how you assemble them. It's basically 4 4th line level players and two wildcards (Strome and Andersson) filling it out.

The important thing is to find the right guy for the 2nd line to give us two functional scoring lines with chemistry.

I also don't think Quinn is tanking. If NYR really, really struggle this season, I think he loses his job. NYR may not have gone into this season thinking playoffs right away, but it's a big warning sign if we finish bottom 7 again.

I don't see his job being at risk this year unless his questionable roster decisions moves from "not optimal but defensible" into "WTF" territory.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I’m amazed Chytil has not been called up

what would make you think he would be called up? That assumes that he was not sent down to work on things and learn to play center but simply cause they wanted to play strome more which would be completely untrue.

Reactions: SA16

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
He played 75 nhl games last year. He was penciled in as the 2C. He obviously didn’t impress in a very small sample size but he went down there and was Hartford best player. He didn’t go down there and mope like Andersson did last year or Kravtsov has done. That should have gotten him back up here when we clearly don’t have a 2C option.

I’ve said it a ton of times but 20 year old centermen all need to learn to defend well. Not many are as gifted as he is. You live with the growing pains. He imo earned a call back up. And should be given that shot over Howden.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
He played 75 nhl games last year. He was penciled in as the 2C. He obviously didn’t impress in a very small sample size but he went down there and was Hartford best player. He didn’t go down there and mope like Andersson did last year or Kravtsov has done. That should have gotten him back up here when we clearly don’t have a 2C option.

I’ve said it a ton of times but 20 year old centermen all need to learn to defend well. Not many are as gifted as he is. You live with the growing pains. He imo earned a call back up. And should be given that shot over Howden.

The only thing Chytil proved in camp this year is that Andersson deserved to be on the team and he didn't. No rush to call him back up until Howden, Strome, & Andersson have all been given a longer look and Chytil has played at least couple dozen games as a 1C in the AHL. His growing pains should be there for the time being.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Who don’t you guys like in the bottom 6?

Andersson everyone thinks is a star player so should be an advantage for us no?

Fast everyone loves even though he’s been terrible for years (that one I can’t wait to move)

Lemieux legit everyone here loves.

Strome scored 18 goals for us last year. Legit third line player.

McKegg was a 4th liner on a very good Carolina team that made the ECF

so it’s just Smith? He’s been pretty good honestly.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The only thing Chytil proved in camp this year is that Andersson deserved to be on the team and he didn't. No rush to call him back up until Howden, Strome, & Andersson have all been given a longer look and Chytil has played at least couple dozen games as a 1C in the AHL. His growing pains should be there for the time being.

I agreed with that. Andersson was a much better option as a 4C than Chytil was. So I agreed with that move. However with Namestnikov traded and Strome struggling AND Chytil going down to Hartford and playing extremely well, this would be a good time to reward that effort.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Who don’t you guys like in the bottom 6?

Andersson everyone thinks is a star player so should be an advantage for us no?

Fast everyone loves even though he’s been terrible for years (that one I can’t wait to move)

Lemieux legit everyone here loves.

Strome scored 18 goals for us last year. Legit third line player.

McKegg was a 4th liner on a very good Carolina team that made the ECF

so it’s just Smith? He’s been pretty good honestly.
The problem is that we have a first line, 2/3 of a second line, and then two fourth lines.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The problem is that we have a first line, 2/3 of a second line, and then two fourth lines.

And this was known to be a distinct possibility going into camp this year.

The fact that Gorton was able to shed Namestnikov with cap cap coming back will allow him some maneuverability to pick up guys as the season moves along when they become available. Be that through waivers or trade. Teams will be looking to bank cap space or will have a young player they prefer over a vet that may help the teams bottom-6.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
That’s an issue.

Lack of depth is a huge issue (or is a huge issue if mgmt plans to fight for a playoff spot, anyway) but which bad player plays where on the bottom 6 wings isn’t really an issue at all.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think if we had a second line center, and one more anchor on the left side of our defense, we'd be in a significantly different thought space.

But the absence of a true second line center trickles down through out the roster, and the the lack of an anchor on the left side of the blue line puts the defense in a precarious situation where it has little margin for error when trying to keep the team in games where the offense doesn't match up particularly well.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Smith has actually been ok so far, no problem promoting him. Maybe they feel Howden's size will help Kakko and Kreider? I dunno, I'm willing to give it a shot. I still think Chytil is back before November.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad