Speculation: Roster Building Thread VII (2019/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Maybe the price for Kreider at the deadline will be Beecher and a 1st?
Actually coached Panarin and Buch for a year, Shesterkin for two (for what it’s worth). James Patrick and Doug Lidster are also available.
What is James Patrick up to these days. He was a terrific player. Was his father Craig Patrick? I bet a guy like Jeep would be a good coach, were he so inclined.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Not really crazy watching our top offensive forward unit also being our # 1 checking line....like we watched yesterday when they went against the Oiler star duo.

Problem is that our wise experienced defense coach did not match up Trouba against McJesus and Drai.

That decision eventually failed in the third.

Some truly ingenious matchup choices by the coaching staff.

Reactions: leetch99

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
What is James Patrick up to these days. He was a terrific player. Was his father Craig Patrick? I bet a guy like Jeep would be a good coach, were he so inclined.
He was an assistant in Dallas and Buffalo (under Ruff) for a long time. Head coach of Kootenay the last two seasons. James is not of THAT Patrick family, but he is Nolan's uncle.

Reactions: egelband

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I don’t see the point in arguing Kravstov at C, but I wouldn’t mind seeing him in the top-six in the AHL or stapled to Chytil in the hopes that they develop significant chemistry since they’re the only two who are going to ever be NHLers anyway.

Reactions: Ratelleitlikeitis

Salvage21

Jan 11, 2009
The Poconos, PA
I can understand the appeal of converting kravstov to play C because he’s a more natural playmaker with same size(reach) as Chytil.

Either way, it would be AWESOME if either chytil or kravstov developed into an effective 2C. At the very least, I hope they eventually start to play on the same line together in Hartford. Both projected top six players in the future- it would be great if they formed chemistry.

Reactions: Ratelleitlikeitis

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I was thinking this too. I have no issues with Ruff, as I just don't understand the intricacies of the job. But I'd be interested to have Zubov work with the defensemen in some capacity.

Besides his glorious NHL playing career and Rangers ties, how about the fact that Zubov is closely familiar with each of Shesterkin, Rykov and Buchnevich and had already served as a head coach for a number of years? I’d bring him over without a second thought and keep him in the wings to immediately replace Ruff once he (inevitably) falters.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Problem is that our wise experienced defense coach did not match up Trouba against McJesus and Drai.

That decision eventually failed in the third.

Some truly ingenious matchup choices by the coaching staff.
That was a bit confusing to me. They immediately asked him directly about it during the post-game.

However, if we're going to be patient with our young players, I don't see why we shouldn't be patient with Quinn as well. I mean besides his experience level, look at what he's had to work with.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I hope management is sticking Buch on the top line to sell him off for the same return as they were looking for at the draft come TDL. Then Kaapo can take the spot on the top line then. Another big sell year hopefully with Kreider.

Reactions: Cag29

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I hope management is sticking Buch on the top line to sell him off for the same return as they were looking for at the draft come TDL. Then Kaapo can take the spot on the top line then. Another big sell year hopefully with Kreider.
It would make sense to sell on Buch if we would get a top-15 pick or an equivalent prospect.

Reactions: Cag29

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
It would make sense to sell on Buch if we would get a top-15 pick or an equivalent prospect.

I don’t think it really would. A top 15 pick is 1-3 years from being an NHLer and 3+ years from being an impact player. Kaako can be an impact player next year. Z, Panarin, Trouba are all in their peaks. If Buch has chemistry on that top line and is a 50+ point player, I see no value in moving that for a draft pick that might be a 50 point player in 3+ years.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Reactions: bernmeister

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Boo will not venture outside of a 3rd line in NY - that is all on the other guy who are usually busy in NY trade forum section. :DD

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
What has Kreider done (as clearly the most prominent player at the moment on his line and who some of you are willing ignore his obvious UFA price tag) to actually support Strome and / or Kakko?

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Yes the prospect who was drafted as a center is expected to be a center and the prospect who was drafted as a wing is expected to be wing. Are you purposely acting dumb or are you just incompetent?

Whether or not he will be that in the NHL remains to be seen but that has obviously been his expectation and history.
Funny I must be incompetent. Bc I think chytil winds up a wing and that kravtsov sees time at center in the NHL during his career

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
Yeah.. we may be in for a long season. Even the Ottawa game that we seemingly dominated was likely a product of Georgiev being great and some good luck. We still got destroyed analytically 5 on 5 in that game.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Yeah.. we may be in for a long season. Even the Ottawa game that we seemingly dominated was likely a product of Georgiev being great and some good luck. We still got destroyed analytically 5 on 5 in that game.

The Rangers have looked as bad as they ever have so far. I get that its three games, of course it is, but they are legitimately getting their teeth kicked in in shots and chances against some mediocre teams. We literally needed 8 points in 2 games from Mika to have a chance in those games. I understand this is still a team with a lot of variables and that we're really not expected to make the playoffs this year but if this continues I don't see how you can't consider this an abject disappointment.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Just thought I'd clarify the positions of three of our top forward prospects:

1. Filip Chytil - Drafted as a center but after not seizing the 2C job in training camp at the age of 20 we've concluded that he can not be a C in the NHL and his future is on the W.
2. Vitali Kravtsov - Drafted as a W and has historically played W but at the age of 19 we've concluded he actually may be best at C.
3. Kaapo Kakko - Drafted as a W and has historically played W but at the age of 18 we've already concluded he would not be capable of playing C and should be left on the W. At the same time despite the prevailing theory that C is much more important than W we've also concluded that if we had the number 1 overall pick we would have taken the W Kakko ove the C Hughes.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The Rangers have looked as bad as they ever have so far. I get that its three games, of course it is, but they are legitimately getting their teeth kicked in in shots and chances against some mediocre teams. We literally needed 8 points in 2 games from Mika to have a chance in those games. I understand this is still a team with a lot of variables and that we're really not expected to make the playoffs this year but if this continues I don't see how you can't consider this an abject disappointment.

Winnipeg is not a mediocre team. And Edmonton isn't playing like a mediocre team and ultimately they might not be, if they're as well-coached as they look this early in the year.

Ottawa is obviously bad.

This isn't to say that the Rangers have played well. Just taking issue with the way this was presented.

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph

AV influence already asserting itself.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Winnipeg is not a mediocre team. And Edmonton isn't playing like a mediocre team and ultimately they might not be, if they're as well-coached as they look this early in the year.

Ottawa is obviously bad.

This isn't to say that the Rangers have played well. Just taking issue with the way this was presented.
Winnipeg probably aren't mediocre in general but they played with their entire RHD core from last year gone. We talk about how this team isn't having time to gel but most of their D core from their winning years are gone with no suitable replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad