Speculation: Roster Building Thread VI (2021 Offseason) - Nobody fickles, under Coach “lookalike to Don Rickles”!

Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Kreider had a difficult time with the more no nonsense Tortorella at the beginning of his career. He started producing and settled into a top 6 role with the lower key AV. That more than less continued through Quinn though at the end Kreider was playing with Chytil on the third line.Now we have a more no nonsense guy coming along with Gallant so it will be interesting to see how that works out. I expect Gallant will want to see a physically more aggressive and a more consistent Kreider.

Really for the cap $’s he’s getting Chris needs to pull more weight.
Yes. At worst he should be a dominant forechecker and net-front presence. He should also be doing the Grabner thing on the PK. That’s all effort and determination stuff. Forget the fancy stuff. If he keeps it incredibly simple he’s a weapon. But for some reason he defaults to some bizarro-world Pavel Bure thing.

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
@TheBloodyNine

Sorry this is a response from the last thread:

My wording was not right and fully spelled out, sorry. Back when the NHL had the 5 day courting period before ufa status kicked in all ufas were allowed to "officially" talk with other teams while their team still owned their rights. Hell, Stamkos was talking to I believe 6 different teams about contract options but decided the 8th year and TB outvalued any crazy contracts that were offered to him. This had been the case with other players as well. It's the same mechanism just in a different way.

Reactions: bernmeister

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don’t know where you put him. He plays primarily LW in Tampa, but can play all 3 positions. He won’t be in front of LaF, Panarin, kreider at LW here. Maybe be plays 3RW or 4th C?? I’m curious as to where they see Barron fitting in long term. Is he more of a 3rd liner guy or 4th??? Is he going to play center or shift back to wing??
This upcoming year I absolutely expect him on 4th Line, but beyond that he may have enough talent to move up. I also would love to see Richards get some games in a 4C role
He's not a 4th liner on one of the best teams ever but he's a 4th liner on the Rangers!

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
@TheBloodyNine

Sorry this is a response from the last thread:

My wording was not right and fully spelled out, sorry. Back when the NHL had the 5 day courting period before ufa status kicked in all ufas were allowed to "officially" talk with other teams while their team still owned their rights. Hell, Stamkos was talking to I believe 6 different teams about contract options but decided the 8th year and TB outvalued any crazy contracts that were offered to him. This had been the case with other players as well. It's the same mechanism just in a different way.
Yeah but that’s different. They don’t need permission from their team to do that during that period. Hamilton is being told he can go talk to other teams well before that period has even started. Well before that period has even started. It’s not the same thing.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don’t understand why people are talking about a Kreider like he isn’t 30. I highly doubt Gallant taps into some hidden potential consistency that we haven’t seen yet, that’s just setting yourself up for being pissed at Gallant when CK is the same CK he has been for like a decade now.
Kreider is 30 years old. Gallant will be his 4th head coach in the NHL. He is what he is now.
I don't think Gallant is suddenly going to mold a 30 year old into something he's never been before but it would be nice to get this back
200155571_10208808819576023_7444330360390957081_n.jpg

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
So does Gauthier
Exactly what I came here to post this morning.

People want big, strong, nasty guys who can actually play. Well, here's a guy who could fill that mold. Quinn helped him learn to play better defense but sat him frequently for bad penalties... despite the fact that he drew more overall than he took.

I wonder what a coach like Gallant, given his style and preferences, and who played like he did as a player, could do to "unlock" Julien, especially if he's more open to paying the cost of a few more PKs (which, again, should be offset by more PPs over the long-run) in the process...

Last edited:

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
“Not likely, or much less likely”

The f*** does that mean Carp? Not definitive in any way. My god we have the worst best writers.
That makes sense to me. I interpret it as they were very much in the hunt for Eichel but are now unlikely to be involved. Never say never, but it sounds like they don’t see him as part of the plan. Great news to me.

Reactions: pld459666

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
That makes sense to me. I interpret it as they were very much in the hunt for Eichel but are now unlikely to be involved. Never say never, but it sounds like they don’t see him as part of the plan. Great news to me.
The way it’s written you could interpret it like that or you could interpret it as “if the price is right they will still be in.” How much is “much less likely” mean? That’s a complete hedge by Carp.

Much different than the Mayor’s missive about the Kings which was definitive. Until I hear guys like Bob or Friedman report this I don’t trust our beat writers as far as I can throw them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Synergy27

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Count me among those that hopes Gauthier survives the expansion draft and gets a crack under a new coach. Would really like to see him blossom into the player we need him to be instead of going out and overpaying someone as a FA. Give him an honest look in the top-9 and see what he can do when he's thinking about playing his game as opposed to worrying about being stapled to the bench.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
So are we all in agreement then? Sign Nosek and Goodrow as depth guys who can move all over the line-up. Trade Howden or Hajek for McNabb. Trade Buch for futures to help alleviate cap concerns.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Count me among those that hopes Gauthier survives the expansion draft and gets a crack under a new coach. Would really like to see him blossom into the player we need him to be instead of going out and overpaying someone as a FA. Give him an honest look in the top-9 and see what he can do when he's thinking about playing his game as opposed to worrying about being stapled to the bench.

i mean he should be protected over Howden. I can’t see Howden back and new management when they bottom 6 is a priority this summer

random but is Nosek due back for Vegas this playoffs ? He seems like an obvious cheap pick up

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Why is vegas trading their 2nd pairing LD who makes only 2.5M when they are a cup contender? Their cap situation is fine. They will lose Martinez and Nosek. Everyone else is under contract. They are just going to bring back almost the same team.

Reactions: Off Sides

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Why is vegas trading their 2nd pairing LD who makes only 2.5M when they are a cup contender? Their cap situation is fine. They will lose Martinez and Nosek. Everyone else is under contract. They are just going to bring back almost the same team.

I think the feeling is, they would prefer to hang on to Martinez and need to alleviate some cap anyways.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So are we all in agreement then? Sign Nosek and Goodrow as depth guys who can move all over the line-up. Trade Howden or Hajek for McNabb. Trade Buch for futures to help alleviate cap concerns.

i am with ta on Goodrow and Nosek

id keep Buch. The cap is fine for them this year so it’s not a necessity yet

I’d love McNabb but at 2.5 he’s pretty cheap for them. They may pay the expansion team to take Holden in a trade instead ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad