Speculation: Roster Building Thread VI (2019/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Rangers is 18th on the Power Ranking which means most of the teams in our division is better than us - so a win against Ottawa and Jets without defense almost do not spark confidence. Kakko looked overhyped and can`t carry Kreider with 43.3% modified Tesla Engine & strome should be playing at that 4th line while Lias need to get promoted to carry that Kakko line! :)

Zib have a record two opening games with 8 points and can take the remaining month off which could happen, and it`s too early in the season to predict anything. And all teams in our division except Colombus & Devils are stronger than us on the paper.

Shannon also no-so-secretly hates the Rangers so take any of his Rangers stuff with a grain of salt. I will say that even though we won twice we did not look very good. Hank got shelled by Winnipeg and we only won because Helleybuck is terrible. We even got outshot by f***ing Ottawa how does that happen?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
No to RNH.

Try to find a RoR type for the 2nd line or hope to hell that Chytil say “f*** this AHL noise” and forces his way back up.

Strome is a poor fit with the line. Honestly they’d be best serve just skying a puck into the offensive zone letting Kreider use the wheels to get to the puck. At least we’d see better possession time with the above and it would probably back the D up a bit. That line has been getting murdered in the Neutral zone.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Shannon also no-so-secretly hates the Rangers so take any of his Rangers stuff with a grain of salt. I will say that even though we won twice we did not look very good. Hank got shelled by Winnipeg and we only won because Helleybuck is terrible. We even got outshot by ****ing Ottawa how does that happen?

You go up by 3 goals.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Shannon also no-so-secretly hates the Rangers so take any of his Rangers stuff with a grain of salt. I will say that even though we won twice we did not look very good. Hank got shelled by Winnipeg and we only won because Helleybuck is terrible. We even got outshot by ****ing Ottawa how does that happen?

It happens by having the offensive talent to outscore your mistakes. I disagree. I think we looked good, just not when it comes to defensive structure and play. Which, is to be expected when your defense consists of Marc Staal, two rookies, Brady Skjei that is regressing at an alarming pace and, a guy that held out through the preseason.

Things we can expect that should surprise no one:
  • Mika slowing down at some point
  • The rest of the offense beginning to chip in
  • Fox and DeAngelo improving
  • Hajek improving or being replaced (he has looked iffy)
  • A defense that is porous and mistake prone, but slowly improves
  • A lot of 5-4 or 6-5 games
  • Georgiev getting more starts than last year

Reactions: leetch99

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Look at the starting defene. You have two rookies, a year-older Staal & ADA who had questions about his defensive play before AND missed time in camp. On top of that Skjei has been mediocre at best. That is about what you are seeing.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Right? We HAVE plenty of choices for stopgaps. Strome IS a stopgap. What we need is the longterm solution.

Oh I mean I'd try someone cheap like Brassard this offseason. I think Strome is terrible. I just wouldn't go for someone of the RNH quality that's going to cost a lot in terms of prospects, require big money to be re-signed, and take up an expansion protection slot.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
this defense seems to hemorrhage shots on goal and quality scoring chances.

the keepers need to make the first stop and well be fine. i like this tandem. georgie is the real deal me thinks.

this offense is dangerous or attest the first line is. no one wants to go man down against this PP either. were 2-0 with 1 top line and 3 3rd lines so far.

expect some run and gun games until the defense can figure things out. 5-4 will be a quality win for this gang early on.

having said that, theres much room to improve. its NOT only defenseman that need to play defense.

limiting shots against and especially quality chances off breakdowns, missed assignments and turnovers creating odd mans will go along way.

so far it seems we can move the puck out of the zone pretty well, and when we get to the Ozone we know what to do. the passing 2 games in has been sexy.

but, the backing in and yielding gobs of real estate in the d zone needs to stop and so does the failure to take care of the front of the net. brendan smith seems to have some early game. play him more back there. alternate hajek and fox and perhaps ADA and MARC STAAL- yeah right.

work
in
progress

not unlike ALL the teams at this point of the young season.

Reactions: egelband

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The answer for me is relatively simple- give Andersson a go between Kreider and Kakko. That's a physical group who will do well with possession and grinding the puck behind the net.

Andersson has earned some increased minutes. If it doesn't work for him, try Howden or Namestnikov.

Reactions: belford22

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
No to RNH.

Try to find a RoR type for the 2nd line or hope to hell that Chytil say “**** this AHL noise” and forces his way back up.

Strome is a poor fit with the line. Honestly they’d be best serve just skying a puck into the offensive zone letting Kreider use the wheels to get to the puck. At least we’d see better possession time with the above and it would probably back the D up a bit. That line has been getting murdered in the Neutral zone.
I kind of like the RNH idea. His contract also lines up with when everyone else is off the books so it makes sense from a timing perspective.

Not that many top six caliber C become available. Maybe RNH? Maybe Trocheck? Who else? ROR types don’t grow on trees. It would be great to get a leader on this roster.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Just develop our 2C for now. No need to go outside the organization when we have multiple players aged 20-22 that are in the NHL/AHL that play the position, and have the chance to become one.

After 80 games, if we don't have clarity on the 2C spot, we can explore trades

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Maybe Pittsburgh should put Malkin and Bjugstad on LTIR, come calling about Kreider/Names/Fast. Maybe Smith at 50% could be sellable.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Nazem Kadri was just traded this past off-season. There will be others who are dealt like him in this year. Sometimes it's guys we can see coming, sometimes teas under perform and all of a sudden certain guys are available.

Sam Bennett has been mentioned more than a few times on this board. Could he continue to develop into a 45-50 point center as he matures?

RNH of course.

If Dallas struggles this season, would they consider moving Seguin?

Christian Dvorak from Arizona.

Kyle Turris will most likely be moved.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I kind of like the RNH idea. His contract also lines up with when everyone else is off the books so it makes sense from a timing perspective.

Not that many top six caliber C become available. Maybe RNH? Maybe Trocheck? Who else? ROR types don’t grow on trees. It would be great to get a leader on this roster.
How many times are we going to regurgitate the "these type of players never become available" debate? Two of them have become available and are now playing on the Rangers.

Before the Rangers start jumping into the UFA market, let's take the time to see what is under the hood first. This is still a building year.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
How many times are we going to regurgitate the "these type of players never become available" debate? Two of them have become available and are now playing on the Rangers.

Before the Rangers start jumping into the UFA market, let's take the time to see what is under the hood first. This is still a building year.
Well we don’t know who will come available or who won’t. The Rangers have until this deadline to see if someone can grab that role be the horns. No one has yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad