Speculation: Roster Building Thread VI (2019/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
They have longer than the deadline, this season is kind of open tryouts for everyone that isn’t Zibanejad, Panarin, or Trouba
I think that’s fair too. I meant moreso they don’t need to be in a rush this season to figure that out, but wasn’t really clear. Point is Rangers have the assets to make a big move for a center if they want to.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It happens by having the offensive talent to outscore your mistakes. I disagree. I think we looked good, just not when it comes to defensive structure and play. Which, is to be expected when your defense consists of Marc Staal, two rookies, Brady Skjei that is regressing at an alarming pace and, a guy that held out through the preseason.

Things we can expect that should surprise no one:
  • Mika slowing down at some point
  • The rest of the offense beginning to chip in
  • Fox and DeAngelo improving
  • Hajek improving or being replaced (he has looked iffy)
  • A defense that is porous and mistake prone, but slowly improves
  • A lot of 5-4 or 6-5 games
  • Georgiev getting more starts than last year

All valid points. Whether we are 2-0 or 0-2, I don't think anyone should expect everything we've witnessed to continue throughout the entire season.

Right now, we're essentially a one line team. Granted that line is performing like a video game right now, but that will evolve over time. Mika's not scoring 320 points, and Kakko isn't going to go pointless all season.

Some players will step up, others will see their contributions decrease, and things will even out a bit.

I expect improvement throughout the year, but I also expect a degree of frustration.

The offense doesn't worry me nearly as much as the defense, and I am intrigued to see if Lundqvist can hold on to the starting role.

My hope, is at some point several kids start assuming the roles we're hoping to see filled. Patience is key, but it has come with some degree of progress.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Well we don’t know who will come available or who won’t. The Rangers have until this deadline to see if someone can grab that role be the horns. No one has yet.
Why do they have until the deadline? As this year is still a building year, there is no need to rush headlong and trade for players. They have time to see if anyone internally grabs the bull by the horns. Let's just see how the year goes. And yes, I understand that while I am preaching patience it is not at the expense of progress. They need the patience to see if anyone is progressing so that they can make informed decisions and not knee jerk ones.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
All valid points. Whether we are 2-0 or 0-2, I don't think anyone should expect everything we've witnessed to continue throughout the entire season.

Right now, we're essentially a one line team. Granted that line is performing like a video game right now, but that will evolve over time. Mika's not scoring 320 points, and Kakko isn't going to go pointless all season.

Some players will step up, others will see their contributions decrease, and things will even out a bit.

I expect improvement throughout the year, but I also expect a degree of frustration.

The offense doesn't worry me nearly as much as the defense, and I am intrigued to see if Lundqvist can hold on to the starting role.

My hope, is at some point several kids start assuming the roles we're hoping to see filled. Patience is key, but it has come with some degree of progress.
Completely this... especially the 2-0 / 0-2 part.

We all get excited coming out the way we have and that's fine, but there are 80 more games and it's not just about this team... there are 30 other teams who all have their own adjustments to make.

If we were 0-2 some folks would be screaming to fire Quinn, buyout Hank, fire Gorton for signing Panarin and to trade everyone not named Kakko if they weren't calling him a bust.

As always we need a dose of moderation around here. (no offense to the actual mods)

Reactions: Edge

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The answer for me is relatively simple- give Andersson a go between Kreider and Kakko. That's a physical group who will do well with possession and grinding the puck behind the net.

Andersson has earned some increased minutes. If it doesn't work for him, try Howden or Namestnikov.

Hmm, if grinding and board play were an issue then how Andersson is better than Strome? The issue is chemistry and ability to generate offensive chances as a group. I'd also stay away from force feeding Andersson (and Howden for this matter) minutes while he hasn't shown that in his development he outgrown bottom lines responsibilities. Ergo, Namestnikov.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Rangers can focus more on other transactions at the trade deadline. Strome as an RFA could be an attraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad