Speculation: Roster Building Thread VI (2019/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Or maybe a longterm solution?
Or maybe they want flexibility for the TDL?
Or maybe they want to call up one of the kids?

Who knows?!? :)
It gives gorton some breathing room cap wise. He could take a tiny bit of salary back on the next deal. Names just didn’t have any value. Could just carry 21 guys for a while as well. It’s all good.

Reactions: egelband

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
So the question is.. How much cap space is available for the next move.
$4M?

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
lineup to try:
Panarin-Zib-Buch
Kreider-Howden-Fast
Lemiux-Lias-Kakko
McKegg-Strome-Smith

I feel like if we focus our bottom 9 lines on hard work, cycling the boards, and winning battles, they will work themselves out of their funk and start contributing on the scoreboard. Kreider and Fast will help Howden out on defensive coverage. Lemiuex should make tons of room for Kakko to operate. Uh, that last line I just literally dumped our trash on.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I wouldn’t mind seeing:

Panarin-Ziba-Buch
Lemieux-Lias-Kakko
Kreider-Strome-Fast
Names-Howden-Smith

Panarin-Zibanejad-Buchnevich: No explanation needed
Kreider-Chytil-Kakko: Give Kakko a talented center
Lemieux-Andersson-Kravtsov: 2-way game with Lias, high energy with Lemieux and pure skill with Kravtsov
Strome-Howden-Fast: 4th line that can win defensive zone face offs even after one gets tossed from the circle, with 2 centers on it

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Man, that Toronto cap situation is just a time bomb isn't it? I still think Nylander could be a center. Especially if he's skating with a talent like Kakko.
Yeah I'd be down for it. But TOR would want a bunch back for him.

I also think that ship has sailed.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Panarin-Zibanejad-Buchnevich: No explanation needed
Kreider-Chytil-Kakko: Give Kakko a talented center
Lemieux-Andersson-Kravtsov: 2-way game with Lias, high energy with Lemieux and pure skill with Kravtsov
Strome-Howden-Fast: 4th line that can win defensive zone face offs even after one gets tossed from the circle, with 2 centers on it

and so why is fil there ???

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I don't really buy into a stop-gap solution. The kids need to play to develop. Strome is a stop-gap now -- and sure, why not replace him with a better option? But to get a "better" option, by some kind of margin, the cost probably goes up instantly. We shouldn't be considering dealing a 1st next year or someone like Lundkvist for a "stop-gap" option.

And sure, we shouldn't in any way or form be locked into the guys we have on the roster and the farm right now. I am all for bombing away with a mega-offer for the right option. But is it time to do that now? It is important to remember that Lias and Chytil still are really young. I saw Chytil in the AHL during the season. Chytil is a bit of a different player in the AHL, he plays with much more authority. When he had the puck on a PP in NY he looked like a kid playing with his child hood heros. In HFD he has a different aura around him, and it shows in a positive way. Who knows where Chytil can be 2-3 years from now. I am not writing him off.

Regarding Lias, the only thing that really matters with a kid is that the kid is showing progress. When we look at the better players in this league, soooo many of them improved on a yearly basis, and just "never" stopped. Zucc is an extreme example, but there was just a very noticeable different if not Y2Y so at least over a 3 year period, long into his 30s. From like 2005/06 back in Norway when to 06' to 07' to 08' basically all the way up to 18'. And he isn't unique. Look at guys like Alfredsson, Näslund, Zetterberg and the likes. Lias isn't "anybody", he does have a lot of natural talent. Some things really impress, especially his ability to like play in a minor role and not be that involved, and then step up and make very good plays whenever he does get involved. He is gritty etc. I think he kind of stood still there for a while, but everyone must agree on that he took a big step from last year to this year. If Lias somewhat stops developing here, I think its fair to say that it was a pretty crappy pick. But the key is to see what he can do this year, what he can do next off-season. As long as he is able to keep getting better, we can't establish a stop date for certain anytime soon. The kid got a lot in him.

I think there is a lot in it to gain in trying to develop some of these guys from within. LAK, Chi, Pitt, Boston and co, all where lead by younger centers developed within when they first won. When you have those guys and they are built of the right stuff and they really dig as deep as they can to must a performance -- it can give you that extraordinary push it takes to survive a full NHL season and a POs after it.

So the bottom line for me is, such if a stop-gap option that is an upgrade over Strome and that is an UFA at year end, sure why not replace (not supplement) Strome with option. But long term I think we got to wait and see what we have in Chytil and Lias.

Reactions: TheDirtyH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad