Speculation: Roster Building Thread V (2019/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Every team has 3 Elite RHD....?

BNUIN8TCEAEtqK4.jpg
I'm sure the Predators did at some point.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The best defensemen, the worst defensemen, the ones in the middle; where is the evidence that RHD are rare?

Just 10-15% of the population are left handed.

And in hockey just 30% of the players are right shots. Why? It’s just harder to play when you hold your stick in your weak hand when you hold it with one hand.

Some might say that a lefty can play on the right side just as well. The thing is, that is just not the case. And if we look for it, there is overwhelming evidence for it. There is like — not one — RHS defender on the left side in the entire NHL. If it didn’t matter what handedness you have, how is that? I’ve montiored this carefully, it’s just close to impossible to find a single LHS that had long term success at RD. At any point ppl have maybe 5 examples in the entire league, but I’ve had these discussion for a number of years. People used to mention Brodin, Hampus Lindholm, Smith and the likes. What happened to them? They game went south and it was explained by them being forced to play on the wrong side and they where moved. Is Hjalmarsson an exception?

A defender fetch the puck in the corner so often. If he has the wrong handedness on D, that movement is just so unfavorable. They are worn out.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Plus, it's been harder for the Rangers to find centers since, uhh...1926?

The futility of this franchise when it comes to drafting centers is legendary. Who is the best center the Rangers ever drafted? Weight? Savard? Nemchinov?

I mean Weight had a nice career but if that's the best you've done in 50+ years of drafting then you're doing it wrong.

Reactions: pld459666

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Just 10-15% of the population are left handed.

And in hockey just 30% of the players are right shots. Why? It’s just harder to play when you hold your stick in your weak hand when you hold it with one hand.

Some might say that a lefty can play on the right side just as well. The thing is, that is just not the case. And if we look for it, there is overwhelming evidence for it. There is like — not one — RHS defender on the left side in the entire NHL. If it didn’t matter what handedness you have, how is that? I’ve montiored this carefully, it’s just close to impossible to find a single LHS that had long term success at RD. At any point ppl have maybe 5 examples in the entire league, but I’ve had these discussion for a number of years. People used to mention Brodin, Hampus Lindholm, Smith and the likes. What happened to them? They game went south and it was explained by them being forced to play on the wrong side and they where moved. Is Hjalmarsson an exception?

A defender fetch the puck in the corner so often. If he has the wrong handedness on D, that movement is just so unfavorable. They are worn out.
This goes back to my earlier suggestion that JD hire a gaggle of nuns to beat some of our our LDs into RDs, looks like we can delay a bit

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Have you seen the names? They aren't even the last cuts, the guys who almost made the team.

Agreed

All the guys waived thus far are guys every team has plenty of.

If you have a gang of guys that are in the same boat as the guys getting waived, what point does it make to add to an already crowded situation

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
The futility of this franchise when it comes to drafting centers is legendary. Who is the best center the Rangers ever drafted? Weight? Savard? Nemchinov?

I mean Weight had a nice career but if that's the best you've done in 50+ years of drafting then you're doing it wrong.

It's Weight. Then Savard. Then Stepan. They draft one or two good centers a decade. Plus in general these guys score the majority of their points for other franchises, like Weight and Savard because the Rangers trade them. At least Stepan played here for many years.

oh and Dave Gagner too I forgot him, but again he barely played 80 games for the Rangers and didn't become a regular until he went to Minnesota and scored 40 goals twice.

Rangers over the last 30 years always seemed to be trading for or signing as free agents their scoring centers rather than drafting and developing them. Messier, Gretzky, Ferraro, LaFontaine, Nedved, Lindros, Nylander, Rucchin, Cullen, Richards, Brassard, Zibanejad, etc.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Really, somehow now having Trouba-ADA-Fox is a bad thing?

Between those 3 and Hajek, if Nils and Miller continue their trend you are going to see a D for C trade. But that is still a ways out, it’s still way to early to know what the D is going to look like longer term.

Which is fine...always good to be dealing from strength in that scenario “we just have too many good players”.

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
Trouba, DeAngelo, Fox, and Lundkvist is one heck of a RD lineup. Question is whether Trouba can make that jump to be a true #1D and if not him, can one of the others make that jump? Lundkvist is currently on pace for a record breaking season with 6 points in 6 games when he only had 10 points in 41 games last season. Pretty unlikely he keeps this up but if he does, he has a chance to be that guy for us.

Reactions: Midikem

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Trouba, DeAngelo, Fox, and Lundkvist is one heck of a RD lineup. Question is whether Trouba can make that jump to be a true #1D and if not him, can one of the others make that jump? Lundkvist is currently on pace for a record breaking season with 6 points in 6 games when he only had 10 points in 41 games last season. Pretty unlikely he keeps this up but if he does, he has a chance to be that guy for us.
I still see trouba as a #3 right now. I believe he has potential to be a good #2 but not dominating play.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It's early, but given how Fox has looked and assuming DeAngelo's continued performance from last year, you could see any of those players on any level pairing over the next 2 years.

Trouba is expensive, but we've got a lot more big contract decisions to make over the next few years, so it's unclear which ones will be problems at this point.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
WOULD you deal for 3 yrs of Rask plus for 2 yrs Smith and 1 yr Namestnikov ?

Minnesota could make moves soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad