Speculation: Roster Building Thread V (2019/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
IMO Lias will never be a 'top talent/driver' but he could be a great compliment piece.

He can find success playing with skilled wingers. Staying with the Couturier reference, I'm sure it helped when he played with Giroux and/or Voracek. He may also find a home in front of the net on the PP; as a 2nd option or as a potential 1st if Kreider is moved.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
IMO Lias will never be a 'top talent/driver' but he could be a great compliment piece.

He can find success playing with skilled wingers. Staying with the Couturier reference, I'm sure it helped when he played with Giroux and/or Voracek. He may also find a home in front of the net on the PP; as a 2nd option or as a potential 1st if Kreider is moved.

And to me that’s pretty damn good value considering he came from a relatively weak draft class.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
And to me that’s pretty damn good value considering he came from a relatively weak draft class.

I think its very hard to speculate on how good Lias will become down the road. I object to people both capping his potential too low or his floor to high so to speak. So much is up to him and how he handles the challenges he will face, and maybe that is the biggest reason for why you draft "character" to start with.

But -- you underline the most important factor on this topic, which is perspective. It wouldn't be unheard of that a 4th liner picked in a 1st round ends up being in the top 3rd of all players picked in that 1st round. There is no point in expecting a 1st round pick to become a big star just because he was a high pick.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
The guy I thought Lias reminded me of a lot in Steve Rucchin wasn't even in the NHL until 23, and had a great career as a 1/2C.

I know the instinct is to freak out about the center situation, but there's actually no big issue here. We just need to find the right combinations. Lias can start as a 4th liner and work up, just like Anisimov did.

Good call. We were absolutely bereft of a 2C option when we brought Rucchin in, and while not stellar, he was EXACTLY what we needed in that slot.

Anisimov also blossomed into a perennial 40ish point guy after a disappointing age 22 season.

If Lias can turn into a "30+ point guy that can take some 2C shifts here and there throughout a 12 year career," then it's a great pick. "A poor man's Anisimov," is his floor, imo. Although some pessimists would say that's his ceiling.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
It may take a few more years, but I believe Lias is going to develop into a very valuable Ranger. A 2nd or 3rd line forward, who contributes 40-55 points. and is an absolute beast on the PK and in protecting leads late game.

We need to temper our expectations a little bit here. A solid 40 points, 0.5 P/G is a solid 2nd liner. "30-45 points" would more accurately denote a 2nd or 3rd liner.

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
Good call. We were absolutely bereft of a 2C option when we brought Rucchin in, and while not stellar, he was EXACTLY what we needed in that slot.

Anisimov also blossomed into a perennial 40ish point guy after a disappointing age 22 season.

If Lias can turn into a "30+ point guy that can take some 2C shifts here and there throughout a 12 year career," then it's a great pick. "A poor man's Anisimov," is his floor, imo. Although some pessimists would say that's his ceiling.

Steve Rucchin existed in a slower, more methodical NHL. He might have a tough time breaking in to the league in 2019. Pre- Ranger days, he also benefitted from some ok linemates. Are people shifting toward Malhotra 2.0 as a comp for Lias? Good pk'er, great at face-offs, 10-15 goals? I don't mean that comp as a put down either...People weren't looking at Bob Gainey and Guy Carbonneau to be 50 point players.

Reactions: Cag29

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Steve Rucchin existed in a slower, more methodical NHL. He might have a tough time breaking in to the league in 2019. Pre- Ranger days, he also benefitted from some ok linemates. Are people shifting toward Malhotra 2.0 as a comp for Lias? Good pk'er, great at face-offs, 10-15 goals? I don't mean that comp as a put down either...People weren't looking at Bob Gainey and Guy Carbonneau to be 50 point players.
I think Lias is still more in the Kadri top-10 pick category rather than the Schiefele or Malhotra categories

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
For sure. I think his hockey IQ gave him the career he had. Would be tougher on him now than in his time.

To my point, Rucchin would likely be the "30+ point guy that can take some 2C shifts here and there throughout a 12 year career," if he entered the league recently, as opposed to "guy that sniffed some 1st line time," that he was.

Reactions: BKGooner

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I would like to posit a question that's going to get me crucified, but someone has to ask it:

Why did the Rangers -a team with the most stacked D pipeline and the worst organizational center depth in the NHL- essentially trade Hayes for Trouba?

Reactions: TheDirtyH

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I would like to posit a question that's going to get me crucified, but someone has to ask it:

Why did the Rangers -a team with the most stacked D pipeline and the worst organizational center depth in the NHL- essentially trade Hayes for Trouba?
Because neither of those things is true

Reactions: dapowl

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY

I get what you mean a bit, but it comes down to they didn't want to pay Hayes what he wanted.

As for Trouba, I think they were protecting themselves against ADA not maybe panning out and trading for Fox not being an option. Plus, for what they traded to get Trouba? A steal.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

Because they believe they have the solution for the center in-house, and they weren't willing to pay him long-term for whatever reason. And they think Trouba is a high-end defenseman and they valued that more for 8M which is a risk but that has to be how they viewed it.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Because they believe they have the solution for the center in-house, and they weren't willing to pay him long-term for whatever reason. And they think Trouba is a high-end defenseman and they valued that more for 8M which is a risk but that has to be how they viewed it.
So they were wrong? Sounds legit.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Because neither of those things is true
We have one top 9 center.

If Zibanejad gets hurt, this team will have the worst center depth I have ever seen.
I get what you mean a bit, but it comes down to they didn't want to pay Hayes what he wanted.

As for Trouba, I think they were protecting themselves against ADA not maybe panning out and trading for Fox not being an option. Plus, for what they traded to get Trouba? A steal.
What Hayes got paid doesn't really factor in considering what they paid Trouba.

They're both very good but not very high-end.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
While I'm asking the hard hitting questions, can I also wonder out loud why we have an analytics guy doing very proprietary stuff and he's on our intermission show instead of our front office?

Reactions: TheKingsCourt

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

I’m not asking this to say you’re wrong or really weigh in, I just have a slight problem with the way you’ve asked it: why do you get to look to the future for the defensemen but look at the right now for centers?

Reactions: DutchShamrock

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas

Because there is still a chance that all of those prospect could bust.

Also it's a lot easier to find a 2C than it is to find a top RD.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I’m not asking this to say you’re wrong or really weigh in, I just have a slight problem with the way you’ve asked it: why do you get to look to the future for the defensemen but look at the right now for centers?
The future isn't any brighter for centers.

We have so many prospects on defense that half of them could die in a fire and we'd still be able to ice a full lineup.

If two of our center prospects fail, it's still Zibanejad and friends. It's Howden, Andersson, and Barron. That's the organization.

Chytil is a good prospect but it's time to admit that he's a science project at center. Kakko or Kravtsov moving there is just as realistic imo. Frankly, they've played center just as much pre-NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad