Speculation: Roster Building Thread V (2019/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Panarin-Zib-Buch
Kreider-Strome-Kakko
Lemieux-Andersson-Chytil
Namestnikov-Howden-Fast
Nieves, McKegg

Skjei-Trouba
Staal-Fox
Hajek-DeAngelo
Smith

I think Capfriendly actually has the 23 man roster prediction correct. I'd rather Chytil and Howden start in the AHL as a kick in the ass (And to play with Kravtsov), but I think this is what we will see.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I’m reading everywhere that pens are going to be dealing Jack Johnson and his horrible contract. Why is it that gorton cannot ever get rid of a bad contract? Even with 1 or 2 years on them he can’t move them ever?

I see bad deals moved all the time. Except ours.

Reactions: egelband

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I’m reading everywhere that pens are going to be dealing Jack Johnson and his horrible contract. Why is it that gorton cannot ever get rid of a bad contract? Even with 1 or 2 years on them he can’t move them ever?

the question is how hard have we actually tried to move any of those contracts...aside from shattenkirk who i'm sure we would have trade for anything to avoid the buyout if that was possible...

they were asking for the moon for kreider...I don't think they ever seriously considered move strome or names due to the uncertainty of the young centers. they certainly have never thought about moving staal...so is the only bad contract we can't move brendan smith? not really surprising that you can't move him

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

You see bad deals for bad deals.

If another GM had Staal or Smith they’d be ****ed with their contracts as well.

Reactions: haveandare

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

We dont need to move them, they will be gone before we need the cash so no need of bleeding assets to do it now.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Is Jack Johnson traded? Or are you just reading speculation?

What bad contracts have been moved so far? NO ONE is Smith or Stall.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Is Jack Johnson traded? Or are you just reading speculation?

What bad contracts have been moved so far? NO ONE is Smith or Stall.
Speculation is that he's moved in the next 48 hours.

Also, Johnson can be traded easily because he has no trade protection. Smith and Staal, while having the much better term left on their deals, have trade protection.

It's not as simple as "Well, if Jack Johnson can be traded, so can Smith/Staal"

Reactions: lucky13 and Kupo

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Speculation is that he's moved in the next 48 hours.

Also, Johnson can be traded easily because he has no trade protection. Smith and Staal, while having the much better term left on their deals, have trade protection.

It's not as simple as "Well, if Jack Johnson can be traded, so can Smith/Staal"
What idiot would give Brendan Smith a 15-team NTC?

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Got a feeling Chytil could start in the AHL
Kravstov outplayed him imo

Bread Zib Buch
Kreider Strome Kakko
Names Lias Kravstov
Lemmy Howden Fast

I put Names on the 3rd line because Lias earned the 3rd line role and Names seemed to be paired with Lias fairly often and they looked good together, so I think DQ will keep that pair

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Got a feeling Chytil could start in the AHL
Kravstov outplayed him imo

Bread Zib Buch
Kreider Strome Kakko
Names Lias Kravstov
Lemmy Howden Fast

I put Names on the 3rd line because Lias earned the 3rd line role and Names seemed to be paired with Lias fairly often and they looked good together, so I think DQ will keep that pair

The battle was not with Kravtsov for Chytil. it was with Lias and Chytil lost that battle as well.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
The battle was not with Kravtsov for Chytil. it was with Lias and Chytil lost that battle as well.
Who is to say it was only between 2 players

Kravstov clearly was competing to make the team out of camp as well

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Who is to say it was only between 2 players

Kravstov clearly was competing to make the team out of camp as well

Considering Krafty plays wing and the idea headed into camp was Chytil as the #2 center the competition that Chytil was faced with was from another center.

I really didnt notice Howden much at all this preseason so it could be that hes the odd man out

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
A scout said that Minny is actively trying to deal Rask. I think it would be risky and counterproductive to take back Rask unless the plus we would get was worth it. Which is likely a mere pipedream...
If you're getting the Rask that put up 48 points a few years back it's not a bad move for a potential 2C but I dunno if he got that while playing 1st line minutes and PP time and the fact that he's struggled in recent years is concerning.

For the right price he could be a decent gamble for a "short term" 2C (signed for the next 3 years at $4 mill cap hit)

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
If our cap squeeze truly is just this year and next, it wouldn't be horrible to trade one or two of our shorter bad contracts for his longer one. Rask for Smith, for instance, results in a net cap reduction for this and next season, but we're left with Rask's salary hit for an additional year. Plus, he might not be as versatile.

lucky13

Iron Chic
Sep 17, 2006
Ridgewood, NY
The future isn't any brighter for centers.

We have so many prospects on defense that half of them could die in a fire and we'd still be able to ice a full lineup.

If two of our center prospects fail, it's still Zibanejad and friends. It's Howden, Andersson, and Barron. That's the organization.

Chytil is a good prospect but it's time to admit that he's a science project at center. Kakko or Kravtsov moving there is just as realistic imo. Frankly, they've played center just as much pre-NHL.
If the Defenseman develop into good players and the Centers bust couldn’t we trade from our surplus of Dmen to fill the hole at Center?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad