Speculation: Roster Building Thread V (2019/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
My main concern short-term is that it isn't good for development if the options for young players are "play with Zibanejad or play with garbage" or if young centers have to take minutes they're incapable of taking because there's actually nobody else.

A stopgap isn't going to make us too good to draft high or whatever.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
POSSIBLE 2020/2021 NYR SCENARIO

Roster moves/signings

Brendan Lemiuex |Resigned for 3 years with a raise of around $1,5 M = $2,4 M
Jesper Fast(h) | resigned and kept for the Seattle expansion draft. Add $1,4 M = $3,25 M
Ryan Strome| BIG ???
Chris Kreider| Dealt for a 1st and a prospect at TDL
Vladislav Namestnikov|dealt for a 3rd at TDL
Anthony DeAngelo | Likely dealt in a package for a young Center, replaced by Lundkvist on a 3 year ELC
Alexander Georgiev (ELC)|$Likely dealt in a package for a young Center, replaced by Shesty on a 1 year ELC

Cap squeeze next year? Not so much if one is not a doomsday dude...

2020/2021 NYR with regards to cap space

Henrik Lundqvist (NMC)|$8,500,000
Igor Shestyorkin (ELC) |$925,000*

Brady Skjei |$5,250,000
Jacob Trouba |$8,000,000
K'Andre Miller (ELC) or Yegor Rykov (ELC) |$925,000*
Nils Lundkvist (ELC) |$925,000*
Libor Hajek (ELC) or Ryan Lindgren (ELC)|$864,167*
Adam Fox (ELC) |$925,000*
Marc Staal (NMC => NTC)|$5,750,000

Brendan Smith (NTC) |$4,350,000 - then very liklely demoted to Hartford

Artemi Panarin |$11,642,000
Mika Zibanejad |$5,325,000
Pavel Buchnevich |$3,250,000
Vitali Kravtsov (ELC)|$925,000*
Filip Chytil (ELC) |$925,000*
Kaapo Kakko (ELC)|$925,000*
Brendan Lemiuex |$2,400,000
Lias Andersson (ELC)| $925,000*
Brett Howden (ELC)|$894,166*
Jesper Fast(h) |$3,250,000
Morgan Barron (ELC )|$894,166*

2-3 fwd spots are then left undecided to solve (the returns on Kreider/Georgiev/DeAngelo also need to be considered, also likely adding another D prospect/player to the mix in the NYR traded assets), Strome?...

SALARY CAP: $85,575,000 (5% escalator used)
SALARY HIT FOR ROSTER: $67.299.166
BUYOUTS (Dan Girardi until 2022/Kevin Shattenkirk until 2023): $7,194,444
STASHED IN MINORS (Brendan Smith until 2021): $925.000
RETAINED IN BUYOUT (Ryan Spooner until 2021): $300.000
SALARY HIT WITH BUYOUT(S)…:$75.718.610
CAP SPACE: $ 9.856.390
BONUS MONEY FROM 2020 DEFERRED??

IN 2021 THE GARBAGE BIN IS EMPTIED... freeing up over $21,5 M plus the likely very positive implications of a new TV deal and league expansion. Lets just somehow get Byfield (or Lafrenière) in the next draft to be sure...

Last edited:

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Considering Krafty plays wing and the idea headed into camp was Chytil as the #2 center the competition that Chytil was faced with was from another center.

I really didnt notice Howden much at all this preseason so it could be that hes the odd man out
I think you're right that there was a battle between Chytil and Andersson to start camp, but I don't think that was about making the team.

I think Chytil then got moved to wing and the battle became between Chytil and Kravstov; at least it felt like that with the way DQ was moving them around on lines the speculations from some beat reporters

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes Chytil started really slow until the last game 3rd period and he had good looks, but I doubt he will start this season.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
So Chytil is the one that sucks now? Lisa is good now? I can’t keep up.
Realistically speaking, Lias has looked really good for what most have wanted him to be - developing into a more defensively reliable Kevin Hayes; whereas Chytil looks like he is still putting it together, but it isn't like his skill or ceiling deteriorated

But yes, for the internet overreaction crew, Chytil's whole career and possibly his entire life is now ruined

Reactions: Midikem

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Oh boy we might need to wait until another #draft year for a new center piece unless Gordon can somehow move Names 4 mil $ cap hit to return a more exciting center player.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I think you're right that there was a battle between Chytil and Andersson to start camp, but I don't think that was about making the team.

I think Chytil then got moved to wing and the battle became between Chytil and Kravstov; at least it felt like that with the way DQ was moving them around on lines the speculations from some beat reporters

Either way, he played himself a trip to Hartford.

Reactions: Alluckks

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I mean RHD are literally more scarce than LHD like players who shoot right are more scarce than players who shoot left...

IIRC, there actually used to be a higher disparity between LHD than RHD and a lot lefties would just play their off side.

Don’t see it as much because Parity and speed really forced change. It’s tough to make hard and quick plays on your backhand and fish pucks off the boards and teams are more reluctant to put players on their off side.

But that doesn’t make them more valuable per say.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
As for Trouba Hayes

It’s harder to find a defenseman like or better thank trouba than it is to find a center like or better than Hayes....

Hayes mostlikely slots in as a 3C on a cup team. Trouba can probably be a 1RD or top pairing D on a cup team.

He’s a more valuable player. His contract should hopefully age better too. Only 1 more million and he’s 2 years younger. Centers tend to start to fade before dmen

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
POSSIBLE 2020/2021 NYR SCENARIO

Roster moves/signings

Brendan Lemiuex |Resigned for 3 years with a raise of around $1,5 M = $2,4 M
Jesper Fast(h) | resigned and kept for the Seattle expansion draft. Add $1,4 M = $3,25 M
Ryan Strome| BIG ???
Chris Kreider| Dealt for a 1st and a prospect at TDL
Vladislav Namestnikov|dealt for a 3rd at TDL
Anthony DeAngelo | Likely dealt in a package for a young Center, replaced by Lundkvist on a 3 year ELC
Alexander Georgiev (ELC)|$Likely dealt in a package for a young Center, replaced by Shesty on a 1 year ELC

Cap squeeze next year? Not so much if one is not a doomsday dude...

2020/2021 NYR with regards to cap space

Henrik Lundqvist (NMC)|$8,500,000
Igor Shestyorkin (ELC) |$925,000*

Brady Skjei |$5,250,000
Jacob Trouba |$8,000,000
K'Andre Miller (ELC) or Yegor Rykov (ELC) |$925,000*
Nils Lundkvist (ELC) |$925,000*
Libor Hajek (ELC) or Ryan Lindgren (ELC)|$864,167*
Adam Fox (ELC) |$925,000*
Marc Staal (NMC => NTC)|$5,750,000

Brendan Smith (NTC) |$4,350,000 - then very liklely demoted to Hartford

Artemi Panarin |$11,642,000
Mika Zibanejad |$5,325,000
Pavel Buchnevich |$3,250,000
Vitali Kravtsov (ELC)|$925,000*
Filip Chytil (ELC) |$925,000*
Kaapo Kakko (ELC)|$925,000*
Brendan Lemiuex |$2,400,000
Lias Andersson (ELC)| $925,000*
Brett Howden (ELC)|$894,166*
Jesper Fast(h) |$3,250,000
Morgan Barron (ELC )|$894,166*

2-3 fwd spots are then left undecided to solve (the returns on Kreider/Georgiev/DeAngelo also need to be considered, also likely adding another D prospect/player to the mix in the NYR traded assets), Strome?...

SALARY CAP: $85,575,000 (5% escalator used)
SALARY HIT FOR ROSTER: $67.299.166
BUYOUTS (Dan Girardi until 2022/Kevin Shattenkirk until 2023): $7,194,444
STASHED IN MINORS (Brendan Smith until 2021): $925.000
RETAINED IN BUYOUT (Ryan Spooner until 2021): $300.000
SALARY HIT WITH BUYOUT(S)…:$75.718.610
CAP SPACE: $ 9.856.390
BONUS MONEY FROM 2020 DEFERRED??

IN 2021 THE GARBAGE BIN IS EMPTIED... freeing up over $21,5 M plus the likely very positive implications of a new TV deal and league expansion. Lets just somehow get Byfield (or Lafrenière) in the next draft to be sure...
Gut feeling or what you’re hearing?

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I'd trade Fast before I would pay Jesper Fast 3 mil. Gross. That overpaying. Let him get that on the open market. I'd offer 2.5 per season that is all. I'd rather his spot go to a more skilled younger player. He is UFA. Rangers better not resign Fast to more than 2 years if they resign him. I rather not. Gets hurt too much and is becoming less of a need with all the depth in the organization

Reactions: SA16

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Oh boy we might need to wait until another #draft year for a new center piece unless Gordon can somehow move Names 4 mil $ cap hit to return a more exciting center player.

I think we are starting to fill up depth wise, that always gives you flexibility. Some will disagree, but I don’t think it’s a smart idea to go very LD heavy if we want prospects at a sell-off at the deadline or at the coming draft. Like I think a Reunanen at center possibly could have beaten out all of Chytil, Lias and Howden, and he is like 3rd strong among the candidates for a role at LD (albeit a defensive role). Many wanted a LD with the Kakko pick before the lottery, I think it would have tilted our cup board too much...

But besides that I think we just should keep trying that accumulate assets. The transition from center to LW is probably the smoothest in hockey for a LHS. With Lemieux, Lias, Chytil, Howden, Buch, Kakko and Kravy we have 7 kids for the top 9. Ziba and Panarin will be here for the oversee-able future.

That depth means that we easily could deal two of the seven mentioned kids. Like we can put together a total monster package of say Buch/Kravy, Chytil/Lias/Howden, Hajak/Robertson and a 1st if we wanted to — and it wouldn’t really put us on the brink in any are of our farm system.

So if we do end up still having a big hole anywhere, I think it’s more realistic to fill it by trade. It’s kind of like in the early 90s when we traded for Messier and tried to trade for Lindros. Different times for sure, but we are starting to have that depth. Given we are in NY and the risk for that JD want to play GM (if there is any), we might see one of those bigger moves or a trade for “intangibles”. Personally I would prefer a smaller trade. Time will tell.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I mean RHD are literally more scarce than LHD like players who shoot right are more scarce than players who shoot left...

IIRC, there actually used to be a higher disparity between LHD than RHD and a lot lefties would just play their off side.

Don’t see it as much because Parity and speed really forced change. It’s tough to make hard and quick plays on your backhand and fish pucks off the boards and teams are more reluctant to put players on their off side.

But that doesn’t make them more valuable per say.

Exactly, and in Europe the switch hasn’t nearly been as big. It’s becoming more rare, but you can still find SHL teams that sends out two Ds with their sticks pointing towards the middle at the same time (ie a LHS at RD along with a RHS at LD). When I played, this was seen as an offensive option (because Ds could pass D to D for a one timer) while the other way was the defending option.

But with today’s speed, it’s just especially those situations when you go and fetch a puck in the corner that gives you such a disadvantage if you play the wrong side. A RD on the right side will often turn and go back wards a little before they get to the puck to see the ice, then when they get there they can have their shoulder towards the ice if they fire the puck out. A LD in the same spot have to have the back towards the ice, and use a much weaker shot when clearing the puck. It’s just tough and gets to you if you have to do it year after year.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

Morgan Barron is our future 2c imo

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I’m reading everywhere that pens are going to be dealing Jack Johnson and his horrible contract. Why is it that gorton cannot ever get rid of a bad contract? Even with 1 or 2 years on them he can’t move them ever?

I see bad deals moved all the time. Except ours.

Because we aren't in a position where we get rid of bad contracts. We are still in the rebuild.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Because we aren't in a position where we get rid of bad contracts. We are still in the rebuild.

You don’t call buying out shattenkirk getting rid of a bad contract? Out of necessity? I have a hard time still believing we couldn’t make a trade happen. Or a trade to move namestnikov. Just tough to imagine if we ate some of those contracts that that couldn’t be done.

Girardi before that? Best team in the league wanted him 5 mins after we cut him.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
You don’t call buying out shattenkirk getting rid of a bad contract? Out of necessity? I have a hard time still believing we couldn’t make a trade happen. Or a trade to move namestnikov. Just tough to imagine if we ate some of those contracts that that couldn’t be done.

Girardi before that? Best team in the league wanted him 5 mins after we cut him.

Buying out a bad contract isn't the same as trading a bad contract, which usually costs you picks or prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad