Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

motopanekeku

abnormally high
Aug 23, 2009
The reason they count as points is because when they made up the assist stat that's what they decided. They could have also decided third assists count but they didn't.

In any case Skjei has a career high of 12 secondary assists so let's see if he keeps up this pace of 9 2nd assists per 40 games (which he won't). They aren't predictive much at all so using them to prorate a pace for the rest of the season is faulty. He did this exact same thing in 16-17 when he had one of the highest 2A rates in the league and predictably his point totals fell off the next two years when that didn't repeat.

Actually he's 5th in 2A rate this year (500+ min) behind offensive dynamos Ian Cole, Mark Borowiecki, Alex Goligoski, and Justin Holl
If your point is that Skjei kind of sucks then I agree..

But secondary assists were decided to count toward point totals because they are accurate indications of a player's direct offensive involvement. Much more so than a "tertiary" assist which is not a thing.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
If your point is that Skjei kind of sucks then I agree..

But secondary assists were decided to count toward point totals because they are accurate indications of a player's direct offensive involvement. Much more so than a "tertiary" assist which is not a thing.

No. My point is his offensive production thus far is fraudulent and he likely will score at a lower pace the rest of the season.

motopanekeku

abnormally high
Aug 23, 2009
No. My point is his offensive production thus far is fraudulent and he likely will score at a lower pace the rest of the season.
Again you use the word fraudulent. Those points are his. I think you mean inflated or something to that effect..

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I do think your right about Robertson not returning more atm but that being said I have no problem with them stockpiling assets no matter their positional strengths. Girard and Pettersson were used to get guys their squad liked. Now those guys probably had a bit more value and Sprong and Turris haven't panned out how they'd hope but the point remains that if you can draft/acquire/develop players properly there is a use to simply stockpiling players. Like @Skjeikspeare @NYRViper said Lindgren/Hajek/Rykov/Tarmo/etc all may be NHL caliber players at some point but they don't need to be future players for us. Even just as bottom pairing players you can use them to round out a deal. Say a team like Vancouver who's still building has a super thin group of D prospects looks to overpay a bit to get some more kids in there. Or a team like Edmonton says ok we're comfortable with Nurse and Klefbom long term, we'll give you Broberg + for Kravstov but we need Hajek to fill out that last pairing. On the surface it might not seem like a lot but I'm sure when the Rangers were moving Nash and Grabner they were probably pretty animate about getting Lindgren and Rykov back

I hate being this guy but... adamant is the word you were looking for.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
If I’m Gorton, I’m listening hard on Skeji and Buchnevich and signing Kreider and Fast as long as the price is within reason. Keep the guys who can be core pieces on a contending team and monetize the ones who won’t. I also want to see Sherstykin gets some work in New York so I can move Georgiev in the off-season.

IMO Skeji has played his way off the future core. He’s been particularly horrid this trip.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
If I’m Gorton, I’m listening hard on Skeji and Buchnevich and signing Kreider and Fast as long as the price is within reason. Keep the guys who can be core pieces on a contending team and monetize the ones who won’t. I also want to see Sherstykin gets some work in New York so I can move Georgiev in the off-season.

IMO Skeji has played his way off the future core. He’s been particularly horrid this trip.
I am for this route. But again the term and money needs to be within reason.

I would sell high on Buch.

Skjei, whatever you can get.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I could get on board with selling high on Buchnevich but for something we actually need, not sandpaper.
Buchnevich is fine since he's young-ish and somewhat cost-controlled. If we could get a return that makes our top-six better for years to come? Absolutely do that.

Reactions: Kupo

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Buchnevich is fine since he's young-ish and somewhat cost-controlled. If we could get a return that makes our top-six better for years to come? Absolutely do that.
Yeah, but who's giving us a younger, better winger?

The Zibanejad trade was a historic flop, that's not going to happen often.

Reactions: 17 others
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad