Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Not nylander for skjei, but we have a lot to move around that we can and it allows gorton to be creative. Lundkvist will be ready next year, keane is ready this year, i think it works and that means deangelo can be traded, i like him but his contract ask will be too high and hes good, no question, if the right deal comes along, gorton will shoot. I honestly think with better d we make the playoffs next year.
They do not have to trade DeAngelo just yet. The contract after next is when they will have to trade him. There is no reason to rush Lundkvist, or even Keane for that matter. Rushing Lias Andersson has been a disaster. You could even say the mindset was a rushed one with Kravtsov. Chytil was looking like a victim of being rushed. Just don’t force it with these kids. Insulate them. Get veterans for depth and let the kids force their way onto the team. Rushing them also sets bad precedent for future prospects, creates a sense of entitlement which I think is a big part of the issue with Andersson. Make them know they have to work hard and earn it.

We are more than fine on the right side for years to come with Trouba and Fox. DeAngelo could return a premium player if he keeps producing. Still young. You trade him when he is around age 26 and you can get a nice piece for him. Lundkvist or Keane could step in then. The other could be moved in a package for a position of need.

The left side is even more of a disaster and I would still be taking our time with Miller, Jones, and Robertson. Rykov should be ready to displace Staal on the depth chart as soon as next month imo. Although you likely won’t see him up unless Skjei is traded. Hajek comes back, Staal sits. Buyout Staal in the summer. Find a trade partner for Skjei.

Hajek-Rykov-Lindgren-Reunanen are your pool of LD for 3 spots next season. Likely bring in a vet OR you make hockey trade similar to the Trouba one where you get a guy who is 23-25 and trending upward as a #3/2nd pair LD that could be a 1st pair eventually.

The Rangers have stockpiled assets. They will need to be advantageous of teams that matchup well, have cap issues, roster issues, etc.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
We're going to finish 6-10th and find ourselves in the top 3 again..

Book it.

We are going to have our ups and downs. Right now we are at the absolute rock bottom standing wise. 15 teams miss the POs. Would be surprised if we didn’t end up 10-15.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Is it easier to find LDs than RDs or centers or whatever? Fact: Yes.

We all know that coaches prefer righties one the right and lefties on the left. We line up 3:3, and that is what most teams aim for.

This is however not the case outside the NHL. Nor was it really the case to the same extent in the NHL 20 years ago. It’s because he NHL game is so extremely fast that it is so hard (and dangerous) to play on the wrong side. You have to turn up with your back to the ice when you fetch a puck in the corner on the wrong side.

So isn’t the supply of left shooting players the same as right shooting players? Nope, this is the problem. In hockey it’s not 50/50 between lefties and righties. In Europe only 10% shoot from the right side. In Canada only 30%. Source: Fatta right – bli målkung

A
s a consequence, if you watch a junior team in Europe, you will on average have more than 5 LDs and less than 1 RD to chose from. So is it easier to find a good LD than a good RD? Yes! A lot easier.

I honestly have to tell you that unless you’re talking about dramatic differences in playing levels, the perceived value isn’t nearly as great as you think.

All things being equal, yes, the market for a RD is going to be more active. But I don’t think you’re talking about a significant difference that consists of extra picks and assets. It’s probably a difference in the number of bidders. Maybe a slight bump on the offer, but even that depends on the circumstances.

I think you tend to see this in trade returns. It’s not like RDs are commanding a kings ransom compared to LDs. You see more bidders, because more teams are looking for them, but the deals more or less look the same.

At the end of the day, teams are looking for affordable players with term whom they can control at the NHL level. If you have that, you’re always going to have a market. Is there likely to be more interest in right handed defenseman? Yes. Does that mean the value of an inferior right handed defenseman trumps or is equal to that of a superior left handed defenseman? No, not typically. Likewise, an inferior forward doesn’t typically have greater value than a superior left handed defenseman.

Reactions: NYR Viper

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
We are going to have our ups and downs. Right now we are at the absolute rock bottom standing wise. 15 teams miss the POs. Would be surprised if we didn’t end up 10-15.

I felt that way to start the season.

upcoming schedule is tough and they’re likely going to be selling. They aren’t Detroit, NJD, LA bad but they’re in that next batch.

Reactions: jas

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
I honestly have to tell you that unless you’re talking about dramatic differences in playing levels, the perceived value isn’t nearly as great as you think.

All things being equal, yes, the market for a RD is going to be more active. But I don’t think you’re talking about a significant difference that consists of extra picks and assets. It’s probably a difference in the number of bidders. Maybe a slight bump on the offer, but even that depends on the circumstances.

I think you tend to see this in trade returns. It’s not like RDs are commanding a kings ransom compared to LDs. You see more bidders, because more teams are looking for them, but the deals more or less look the same.

At the end of the day, teams are looking for affordable players with term whom they can control at the NHL level. If you have that, you’re always going to have a market. Is there likely to be more interest in right handed defenseman? Yes. Does that mean the value of an inferior right handed defenseman trumps or is equal to that of a superior left handed defenseman? No, not typically. Likewise, an inferior forward doesn’t typically have greater value than a superior left handed defenseman.
Do ya think there will be a decent market for skjei this summer?

Deleted member 23124

I think there’s a good market for him now. The question isn’t really value, it’s the impact on the roster and whether the Rangers feel comfortable making a move. Thus far, the possibility has seemed to generate a degree of hesitation.
I agree...but I'm certain that if we actually had a defensive system that they players could actually execute, our defense would be fine no matter who was playing. However, as we have seen over the past 10 years or so, we obviously don't have one worth mentioning.

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
Nah, if the NHL wanted to rig the draft lottery, they would make sure their cash cow gets a few 1OA (aka NYR)

Nah. Having a few of the big teams getting some real talent/stars might get them to generate a ton of revenue for those clubs. That would be bad for the smaller orgs, pushing the salary cap up and putting financial stress on some of the orgs, dimishing their worth. Proof no. 1 that the lottery are not rigged is Arizone getting 3. overall in the McDavid/Eichel draft when they really needed something to give them a boost.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
No, you're right. Etem and Gropp are much better than Hagelin and this kid tearing up the Liiga.

While I wouldn't disagree with signing him to a contract at this point as a gamble, it's not like he's been someone who has made progress until this point. His D+2 showed regression. His D+3 showed less than Gropp at the AHL level. His D+4 in Liiga was uninspiring.

We wouldn't have Hagelin in either case. And if you're so gung-ho on this guy now, it's worth remembering that Etem had already torn up the AHL (at worst, an equal league to Liiga) when we acquired him. If you like what Nattinen is doing now, you should've liked what Etem was doing then.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Zacha is supposedly out there in the rumor mill. Shame he's a Devil. Definitely still potential in his game and he can play all 3 positions.
Would love to have Zacha. Reasonable contract this year and the next 2 with RFA status after that. But no way Devils trade a 22 year old to the Rangers.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Would love to have Zacha. Reasonable contract this year and the next 2 with RFA status after that. But no way Devils trade a 22 year old to the Rangers.

Yeah I can't see that happening, though they did manage to work out the Grabner trade. Would likely have to be a situation where a team dealing with the Rangers managed to deal with NJ and then flip him back to us.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Rangers Legend, Kings Legend.

ENKcNmTUUAAK-W8ff.jpg

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Nah. Having a few of the big teams getting some real talent/stars might get them to generate a ton of revenue for those clubs. That would be bad for the smaller orgs, pushing the salary cap up and putting financial stress on some of the orgs, dimishing their worth. Proof no. 1 that the lottery are not rigged is Arizone getting 3. overall in the McDavid/Eichel draft when they really needed something to give them a boost.
Draft wasn't rigged the moment Matthews didn't go to Arizona :nod:

Reactions: apoptygma

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Unless a team is paying a major premium, I just can't see it. Dealing a young goalie who has proven he can be a NHL starter before you see the heir-apparent in meaningful NHL minutes is pretty reckless.

thanks Hank. What part of rebuild does he not understand? Perhaps none of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad