Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Timashov has been scoring extremely well considering the role he has been played in; 8 minutes a night on a 4th line that gets extreme defensive deployment. 2.1 P/60 is what you expect from a 1st liner. He plays LW too which is by far the largest organizational weakness.

Bracco probably has higher upside, but has yet to play in the NHL and plays RW which is much less of a need.

I think both players would do very well if inserted into our top-9.

Kreider-Zibanejad-Fast
Panarin-Strome-Kakko
Timashov-Chytil-Buchnevich
You make a fair point regarding Timashov. I can definitely see him over Bracco if we’re taking either; I’m just wary of a guy who’s 23 already (meaning he doesn’t have a ton of upside remaining, not that he’s too old) and only 5’10” to slot into the bottom 6.

EDIT: though, looking him up just now, I see he’s listed at 192. Color me slightly more intrigued than I was. Still, would just be one component for me; I’d want more for almost anyone we’d be giving up.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Still say they should sign Jason Pominville lol
Worst of all possible worlds. Old, adds no new facet to existing team makeup, and is probably better than 1/3 of the roster out of the box so the coach will play him over some of our mediocre kids.

Reactions: Kupo

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
The fact that the Leafs HC was Bracco's AHL coach the last two years and he hasn't lobbied to get him on the team despite the production (and they are currently two top 9 forwards short with Engvall and Spezza on L3 with Kerfoot moved to L2 W) would be quite concerning to me. He coached the guy to an almost 80 point AHL season last year and even with injuries they still aren't calling him up? That really makes you question things.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I think Georgiev for Robertson is a fair swap. I wouldnt be adding Lindgren, who is in the NHL, or Keane, who is on the cusp of the NHL. Toronto is the team desperate for goaltending help. Not us.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Worst of all possible worlds. Old, adds no new facet to existing team makeup, and is probably better than 1/3 of the roster out of the box so the coach will play him over some of our mediocre kids.
there’s a head scratcher. What to counter with? Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out...
A cardboard cutout of Pominville is better than everyone on our 4th line.

What kids? All the kids are playing.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Why does Toronto need goalie help? Andersen has played 66/66/60 games the last 3 years. and 31/40 this year. That would pencil him in for 33 of the next 42 games dependent on the schedule. I don't think they need to trade for a guy to play 9 games in the regular season and then play 0 seconds in the playoffs. The difference any goalie can make in only 9 games is not that large and is going to be mostly variance related anyway. I also don't know how we would possibly get the best trade offer from a team interested in bringing him in as a backup and not the starter.

Reactions: egelband and Kendo

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Why does Toronto need goalie help? Andersen has played 66/66/60 games the last 3 years. and 31/40 this year. That would pencil him in for 33 of the next 42 games dependent on the schedule. I don't think they need to trade for a guy to play 9 games in the regular season and then play 0 seconds in the playoffs. The difference any goalie can make in only 9 games is not that large and is going to be mostly variance related anyway. I also don't know how we would possibly get the best trade offer from a team interested in bringing him in as a backup and not the starter.
I imagine they want to bring that workload down.

But they'd be looking for a backup, not Georgiev.

Reactions: egelband

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Still say they should sign Jason Pominville lol
I am desperate to address the forward depth but I don’t think Pominville helps. If Gorton and JD really do want this team to compete for a wild card spot, even if they do move Kreider, then they need to help the forward depth.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
That workload is unsustainable. And every time they have gone to their backup this season it has been a carousel of failures for them and cost them valuable positioning in the standings. Not having a competent backup could cost them greatly

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
I think Georgiev for Robertson is a fair swap. I wouldnt be adding Lindgren, who is in the NHL, or Keane, who is on the cusp of the NHL. Toronto is the team desperate for goaltending help. Not us.

I’m not interested in a fair swap. I’m keeping Georgie, but if Toronto wants to undress with an offer, by all means.

Reactions: Kendo

effen

Feb 3, 2018
We said this about Talbot and ended up getting couch quarters for him.
flavor of the month midgets are often AAAA players or Sam Gagner/Kyle Wellwood-esque soft 2nd line scorer-or-healthy scratch types.

The org as a whole needs diversification a lot more than to expand on its endless collection of semi-soft all-around offensive forwards. I'd take the 2nd/3rd/7th Talbot got over Robertson. You can draft your own Robertson if you're so desperate.

I don't think they want any more 3-5 years away futures anyway. It's gonna be NHL or near-NHL talent and draft picks as necessary.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
flavor of the month midgets are often AAAA players or Sam Gagner/Kyle Wellwood-esque soft 2nd line scorer-or-healthy scratch types.

The org as a whole needs diversification a lot more than to expand on its endless collection of semi-soft all-around offensive forwards. I'd take the 2nd/3rd/7th Talbot got over Robertson. You can draft your own Robertson if you're so desperate.

I don't think they want any more 3-5 years away futures anyway. It's gonna be NHL or near-NHL talent and draft picks as necessary.
Yes we need diversification and we're just drowning in forwards that can score in this organization.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Georgiev is probably an off season trade. Toronto wants a backup and they want to trade surplus spots for that player. Bracco doesn’t have much value. One guy on their bottom six I like is Engvall but he’s a piece in a trade not fair value. This is only a fit for unknowledgeable Leaf fans.

As for Stepan, Kessel and offensive woes in Arizona, it starts with the structure of the team. They play a well coached 1-4 that morphs into a 1-1-3. They are built from the back out and have good speed to counter attack. They are not as good as the 1995 Devils but they play exactly the same way. They are not built to accumulate stats.

That said, Stepan is now a third line player on a helicopter line. His value is in tough matchups, leadership and intangibles. The Coyotes were willing to move him last summer and I expect them to strengthened those efforts this summer.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Yes we need diversification and we're just drowning in forwards that can score in this organization.
In addition to drafting one if you want, the Rangers are significantly more likely than most teams to be a choice spot for the "top" UDFA NCAA guys every year too.

That said, I don't think they're really hurting for guys who can score at the level that actually matters and won't for the foreseeable future. Hartford's young guy scoring depth is a HFD problem, not an NYR one.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
In addition to drafting one if you want, the Rangers are significantly more likely than most teams to be a choice spot for the "top" UDFA NCAA guys every year too.

That said, I don't think they're really hurting for guys who can score at the level that actually matters and won't for the foreseeable future. Hartford's young guy scoring depth is a HFD problem, not an NYR one.
Scoring depth is definitely an NYR problem.

Our bottom six couldn't score on an empty net.

The idea that there's such a thing as "too much offense" has plagued this organization for decades.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Scoring depth is definitely an NYR problem.

Our bottom six couldn't score on an empty net.

The idea that there's such a thing as "too much offense" has plagued this organization for decades.
This is very much a transitory roster and even with several complete, and I do mean complete donuts on the roster they are dead in the middle (15th) in scoring.

I didn't say there's too much offense, just that I don't think we need to trade Georgiev for a flavor of the month guy who doesn't add a new profile to what the org has in spades.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This is very much a transitory roster and even with several complete, and I do mean complete donuts on the roster they are dead in the middle (15th) in scoring.

I didn't say there's too much offense, just that I don't think we need to trade Georgiev for a flavor of the month guy who doesn't add a new profile to what the org has in spades.
They're dead in the middle in scoring because Panarin is a Gundam. There's no depth to speak of.

I don't see where we have it in spades. The idea that this organization has skill everywhere is so contrary to reality that I'm dumbfounded as to where the notion comes from.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
This team isn’t doing anything this season, and even Brooks saying their success thus far is due to Panarin, Zibanejad and goaltending in his article.

Also wtf is he talking about trading DeAngelo at the deadline? Why would that even be a consideration at this point?

The path forward seems relatively straight forward to me. Sell Kreider to the highest bidder at the deadline and play the rest of the year to see where the chips land.

Self renting Kreider for (best case scenario) a schlacking in the first round would be idiotic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad