Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XVIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Dater had a rehash of the Avs interest in Kreider but it’s behind a paywall...

Avs fans seem to like the idea of Kreider but also mention help between the pipes.

How about Kreider, Georgiev, and Lias for Newhook and 2020 1st?

Let's get nuts. They want help in goal? How about Henrik? (NMC yes, lets assume in this fantasy world that management actually has an honest talk with Henrik about the reality of the situation he is in on this team).

Reactions: PalmCoastRanger

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
This is a great parallel to draw. Sometimes players just fit and it's not necessarily an easy task to find talented players who can play with extremely talented players.
Same could be said for Zibanejad-Kreider.

That’s your 1st 2 lines. Chytil can become the center with Strome on the wing. Kakko eventually with the other two. Kravstov in the pipeline.

Where I am going with this is a Buchnevich trade in the offseason to free up the cap space to keep Kreider and Strome. Same with Skjei.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Just don't' see a fit. Anaheim seems like a team that needs to continue a rebuild. They shouldn't be trading for guys looking for a 6-7 year deal at almost 30
He wasn’t saying that Anaheim would trade for Kreider... he was saying that we should have interest in Nick Ritchie to bring here in case we move Kreider somewhere else.

And I think that is the right type of target for us while not being a make or break player for Anaheim as they transition into a rebuild. Our top 6 seems to be in good shape moving forward. Our bottom 6 needs a lot of help. Slotting Ritchie in on the 3rd line would move other guys down to the 4th to stretch us out. It would also make us tougher to play against.

PalmCoastRanger

Jun 21, 2019
Let's get nuts. They want help in goal? How about Henrik? (NMC yes, lets assume in this fantasy world that management actually has an honest talk with Henrik about the reality of the situation he is in on this team).

I like your kind of crazy. Don't know how the salaries will work, but if it can...why the hell not!

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
It's not as dire as people make it seem.

We have
$7M in dead cap; it will be 2.5M when Zibs is up as a UFA. That's his raise right there.
$4.35M in Smith
$8.5M in HL
$5.7M in Staal

$18M for raises. $22.5 if you count dead money.

We will be fine. We also have a new CBA coming, a new TV deal and an expansion team. I'd venture a guess that the Cap will be sitting between 90-100M by 2022.

A top6 that scores is worth paying. A top4 that produces is worth paying. We'll be fine as long as we do not pay bottom6 players, UFA money.

Deleted member 23124

I'm pretty sure Henrik knows exactly what the situation is.

Reactions: leetch99

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Same could be said for Zibanejad-Kreider.

That’s your 1st 2 lines. Chytil can become the center with Strome on the wing. Kakko eventually with the other two. Kravstov in the pipeline.

Where I am going with this is a Buchnevich trade in the offseason to free up the cap space to keep Kreider and Strome. Same with Skjei.

They have two pairings that really work Zib/Kreider and Panarin/Strome, add in Kakko and Kravstov maybe even Chytil if you move Strome to wing. I don't understand why people are in a rush to break that up assuming guys are reasonable with their next deals. Unless they luck into a player at the draft this year, they're thin at forward. Keep what's working. I'd sacrifice Brady or Pavel to see to it.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
It's also a 'blessing' if Kakko, Kravtsov and Chytil take time to mature/progress. If they go the way of a MacKinnon, where they are just scratching the surface on their ELC... we could lock them up from their early 20's through their mid 20's at an extremely valuable cap hit. That, along with our 'vets', would create our 'window'.

Same goes for our young d-men.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
They need Hajek and Rykov to take major steps forward this year. If they can then we can move out Skjei’s money. Maybe you can package him with Buch to upgrade at Center. Then use other pieces to upgrade for a #1 LD. Rykov and Hajek can be very solid Top 4 D’s but they do not show any signs of Top 2 potential. But you free up the Buch and Skjei money, you fill other holes, and you have money to re-sign Strome and Kreider. You may have some extra money to sign a vet forward for depth and/or a LD to insulate the left side. They have options.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
They need Hajek and Rykov to take major steps forward this year. If they can then we can move out Skjei’s money. Maybe you can package him with Buch to upgrade at Center. Then use other pieces to upgrade for a #1 LD. Rykov and Hajek can be very solid Top 4 D’s but they do not show any signs of Top 2 potential. But you free up the Buch and Skjei money, you fill other holes, and you have money to re-sign Strome and Kreider. You may have some extra money to sign a vet forward for depth and/or a LD to insulate the left side. They have options.

It's a big plus as well to get Hajek, Lindgren and Rykov in the NHL as they SHOULD greatly support a right side that seems to like to play with stabilizing defensemen

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Playing the numbers

Since Jeff Gorton took over in 2015 he dealt with 22 separate Organizations where he actually pulled the trigger on a deal. Within these 5 years he dealt with 4 teams in 3 separate trades. He seems to have his favorites evidenced by the 12 transactions he completed with the below.
  • Winnipeg- 3x
  • Nashville- 3x
  • Edmonton- 3x
  • Boston- 3x
There’s 11 teams he has yet to strike a deal with. Im going to bet that one of the bolded clubs below swing a deal with the Rangers prior to the trade deadline

Islanders (Buyers) – unikely to deal.
Penguins (Buyers)- unlikely to deal.
Flyers (Neutral)- unlikely to deal.

Blues (Buyers)
Golden Knights (Buyers)
Maple Leafs (Buyers)
Flames (Buyers)
Wild (Sellers)
Kings (Sellers)

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
It's a big plus as well to get Hajek, Lindgren and Rykov in the NHL as they SHOULD greatly support a right side that seems to like to play with stabilizing defensemen
DeAngelo, Fox and Trouba have all performed best paired with Skjei this season, who arguably is the least stabilizing LD we have on the roster.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Yea I have Lindgren as a staple on the 3rd pair moving forward. But the point remains, we need a sound, stay-at-home defenseman on the left side for each pair. Thats also not the same old “stay-at-home” classification as all defensemen are needed to be more mobile and involved but you get the point. I think all 3 of those kids can be manning the blueline next year. And we have more in the pipeline coming 2-3 years from now. Miller, Jones, Robertson, Skinner. Reunanen possibly. We should be able to come away with a sustainable and successful left side with backups in the chamber ready to step in if needed.

Reactions: belford22

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

I think it's easier to move Skjei for a winger straight up. Positional need for positional need. Centers are tougher to move out. You don't see much in the way of those deals unless it's a rental or a guy wants out.

The last big center trade who wasn't a rental was O'Reilly. He wanted out of Buffalo, and they got fleeced on that trade. For STL, one of those trade chips wanted out, one did not want out, and they wanted to move on from another. The 1st round pick was the premium. The three others... well they won't be in BUF for long imo.

You had the Duchene trade to OTT as a non-rental.... that was a hell of a price to pay.

Johansen cost Jones.

Zibanejad was a steal, but there were other things involved like actual salary, and OTT not being happy with Zib's off-ice training.

As it stands today, the Rangers have a center whose top 10 in scoring among centers. And they have another center whose top 10 in points per game as a center. And I'm not talking about the same guy....

I think the Rangers need two top 6 forwards, and a gritty utility guy on the 4th line like a Colton Scissons.

They might be alright down the middle.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
On Buchnevich: He needs to get 3-5 shots on goal every game. Period. He can lament, and mope, and show his frustration as a visible sign of caring. But he's going to feel the way he feels during his down stretches until he gets 3-5 shots a game. Every game. Period.

They need to inculcate that into Pavel.

Reactions: leetch99

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I think it's easier to move Skjei for a winger straight up. Positional need for positional need. Centers are tougher to move out. You don't see much in the way of those deals unless it's a rental or a guy wants out.

The last big center trade who wasn't a rental was O'Reilly. He wanted out of Buffalo, and they got fleeced on that trade. For STL, one of those trade chips wanted out, one did not want out, and they wanted to move on from another. The 1st round pick was the premium. The three others... well they won't be in BUF for long imo.

You had the Duchene trade to OTT as a non-rental.... that was a hell of a price to pay.

Johansen cost Jones.

Zibanejad was a steal, but there were other things involved like actual salary, and OTT not being happy with Zib's off-ice training.

As it stands today, the Rangers have a center whose top 10 in scoring among centers. And they have another center whose top 10 in points per game as a center. And I'm not talking about the same guy....

I think the Rangers need two top 6 forwards, and a gritty utility guy on the 4th line like a Colton Scissons.

They might be alright down the middle.
I think the need for top 6 forwards depends on if Kreider stays, and if Chytil/Kakko/Kravtsov can push forward from now until TC next year.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I think it will be for a bit less money, may be the same term or a 4th year. Bozak signed that deal as a UFA and I think as a 31 year old. Strome will be an RFA at seasons end.
I'd love for it to be less but he's also pacing 75 points, even if he wraps it up around 60 I have a hard time seeing him take less

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I think the need for top 6 forwards depends on if Kreider stays, and if Chytil/Kakko/Kravtsov can push forward from now until TC next year.

See I think having a 3rd line capable of offense is needed. You will get inconsistency with kids, but why not put them in a place to take advantage of match-ups.

The Rangers seemed to do pretty well with that formula when the Pouliot-Brass-Zucc line was the third unit behind the Stepan and Richard lines in 2014, and Hayes behind the Stepan & Brassard units in 2015.

Reactions: RGY

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
See I think having a 3rd line capable of offense is needed. You will get inconsistency with kids, but why not put them in a place to take advantage of match-ups.

The Rangers seemed to do pretty well with that formula when the Pouliot-Brass-Zucc line was the third unit behind the Stepan and Richard lines in 2014, and Hayes behind the Stepan & Brassard units in 2015.

Ideally, I wish the Rangers had the depth to put out a 4th line of Lemieux - Howden - Fast if fast resigned to something reasonable. Offseason trade revolving around Skjei/Kravstov for Nylander and Andersson for Vaselainen. Deadline of Kreider for Jost and #1.

XXXX - Zbad - Nylander
Panarin - Strome - Buch/Kakko
Jost/Lemieux - Chytil - Kakko/Buch
Lemiuex/Jost - Howden - Fast

Big hole would be that #1 wing. Depending on where the Rangers finish, may be luck into Holtz who could fill that spot.

Could run 4 lines and spread out the offensive threats. I think that 4th line could go up other teams top lines if needed.

Reactions: Cag29

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
On Buchnevich: He needs to get 3-5 shots on goal every game. Period. He can lament, and mope, and show his frustration as a visible sign of caring. But he's going to feel the way he feels during his down stretches until he gets 3-5 shots a game. Every game. Period.

They need to inculcate that into Pavel.
There are like 40 players in the league who have averaged 3-5 shots per game this season and majority of them are PP triggermen. Zibanejad averages 3.2 and Panarin 2.9.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Dater had a rehash of the Avs interest in Kreider but it’s behind a paywall...

Avs fans seem to like the idea of Kreider but also mention help between the pipes.

How about Kreider, Georgiev, and Lias for Newhook and 2020 1st?

I have seen literally zero Avalanche fans saying they need help in goal. (Hint: they don't. At all. Goaltending is great, Grubauer is awesome and Francouz has been an excellent backup).

Reactions: wafflepadsave
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad