Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XVIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
well I mean if Panarin makes 11 million of that “almost 20 million” and Kreider makes 7 that’s hardly unreasonable. We don’t have any other double digit cap hits out there. Kreider is a top line player. And elite pp net front presence. Those guys don’t grow on trees. Slot Kravtsov and Kakko on the right wings and off you go
I have a hard time committing big dollars and term to Kreider after signing Panarin.

The team shouldn’t be handing out any big deals this upcoming summer imo. DeAngelo’s the only one I could get behind giving money and term to, and even him I’m 50/50

Reactions: Kupo

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Timashov is interesting. Swedish kid short but explosive. Really made a name for himself at the U20 WJC a few years ago.

been pretty good for the Marlies just turned 23 in October though so kind of make or break time for him but has played 20 plus games for the leafs this season and has been solid. I’m not sure how or where he fits with us long term though. 4th liner if Quinn ever decides to use a 4th line. He’s got to go thru waivers so leafs could lose him for nothing soon.

bracco would be the higher upside guy for sure. But he’s also at that make or break age. He was a beast for the marlies last year 80 pt player. Pretty much a ppg guy this year as well But he hasn’t had a sniff of the nhl. Also 5’9 and going to be 23 in March.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Dater had a rehash of the Avs interest in Kreider but it’s behind a paywall...

Avs fans seem to like the idea of Kreider but also mention help between the pipes.

How about Kreider, Georgiev, and Lias for Newhook and 2020 1st?
Love it but don’t think they part with newhook for anything unless serious overpayment.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Kreider has played like this for about 3-week stretch. The turnaround started when he (briefly) earned a spot on a 4th line during one of the games. Before he was underwhelming to say the least. Same posters who are singing praises were hard on Kreider’s case then.

Anything possible but I’d be surprised if he takes less than $6.5m and less than 6 year term. Good investment?

Last edited:

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Kreider has played like this for about 3-week stretch. The turn around started when he (briefly) earned a spot on a 4th line during one of the games. Before he was underwhelming to say the least. Same posters who are singing praises were hard on Kreider’s case then.

Anything possible but I’d be surprised if he takes less than $6.5m and less than 6 year term. Good investment?

If only we didn't invest so much money on bad d-men... wouldn't have to worry about losing Kreider, Lemieux, DeAngelo. When will we learn?

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Bracco would give this team some top 9 depth which theoretically would allow someone like Fast to be pushed back down to where he should be

The thing I worry about with him is he doesn’t strike me as someone that plays a north/south game (I hate this phrase) and Quinn wouldn’t be a huge fan

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I think expecting him to shoot at the rate of Nathan mackinnon or Alex Ovechkin is outrageous.

You’re right but 1-2 shots he regularly bails on would add up. Not Ovy level, but upper top-6 level.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Kreider has played like this for about 3-week stretch. The turn around started when he (briefly) earned a spot on a 4th line during one of the games. Before he was underwhelming to say the least. Same posters who are singing praises were hard on Kreider’s case then.

I personally was hard on Kreider because he wasn’t playing well but I’ve been leaning towards keeping him mostly for a year now. It’s not an easy decision by all means. I’ve gone weeks thinking it’s right because we have kids coming up that will need to get paid but then you look at what he brings and when you see him with Mika how they play together how fast they play together you would be dumb to break that up. You have to look at 5 year windows. Anything more than that is crazy to try and project. But over the next 5 years we are way better with him next to mika imo.

Reactions: belford22

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Bracco would give this team some top 9 depth which theoretically would allow someone like Fast to be pushed back down to where he should be

The thing I worry about with him is he doesn’t strike me as someone that plays a north/south game (I hate this phrase) and Quinn wouldn’t be a huge fan

I sont think Toronto has a spot for him in an offensive role as you can imagine and secondly he doesn’t play any defense so hard to put him in a checking role. He’s super talented though.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If only we didn't invest so much money on bad d-men... wouldn't have to worry about losing Kreider, Lemieux, DeAngelo. When will we learn?

It is what it is unfortunately but the impact of these contracts will diminish significantly within 2 years.

Maybe something to keep in mind when considering extension / new contract for Kreider.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
On Buchnevich: He needs to get 3-5 shots on goal every game. Period. He can lament, and mope, and show his frustration as a visible sign of caring. But he's going to feel the way he feels during his down stretches until he gets 3-5 shots a game. Every game. Period.

They need to inculcate that into Pavel.
I was disappointed with his approach regarding the penalty shot the other day. It seemed that he didn’t have a strategy and when nothing seemed opened, he reluctantly shot into the pads.
Conversely, I thought he used his body more vs. Toronto.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Isn't there? DeAngelo is on pace for 60 points and will be an RFA, and you know he's not going to stand for getting short-changed again. Lemieux is due a raise as well.
At this moment I don’t think DeAngelo will price himself out of NY this summer. It all depends on how the FO wants to approach him.

Lemieux I have zero concerns about. He’s not done nearly enough to break the bank

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Based on a pretty decent sample size, if there is one player to keep out of Strome, Buch and Kreider based on the below next contracts:

Kreider at 7 years for $6.5m
Buch at 4 years for $4.5m
Strome at 4 years for $4.5m

The choice to me is Strome. Use Kreider and Buch as trade pieces along with guys like Georgiev and Skjei to bring back some guys who can grow with this next core and possibly a higher end or forward

I think I'm down with this right here..Sign Strome.

I wouldn't trade George right now though.

Hank only has a year left and Shesterkin hasn't proven shit at this level yet.

I'd hang onto Skjei as well for now.

This team needs bodies and i think he'd do really well in a real system..

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I've made this statement in other threads.

If Stromes best asset is that he meshes with Panarin and produces like this all year, that's hard to find.

Hes doing something that Pat Kane couldn't do and that bring out the best in Panarin.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I’m reading although nothing from any of the major insiders that Toronto and NY are close on something that could involve Georgiev for Prospects timashev or bracco with draft picks involved. But again solely internet twitter rumors that are picking up steam today.
Interesting, where’d you see this? Speculation or people with claims to have inside info?

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I've made this statement in other threads.

If Stromes best asset is that he meshes with Panarin and produces like this all year, that's hard to find.

Hes doing something that Pat Kane couldn't do and that bring out the best in Panarin.

lol Pat Kane was the best thing that happened to Panarin. Panarin has become the right-shot Pat Kane and playing his first 2 years with him is the reason.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I think I'm down with this right here..Sign Strome.

I wouldn't trade George right now though.

Hank only has a year left and Shesterkin hasn't proven **** at this level yet.

I'd hang onto Skjei as well for now.

This team needs bodies and i think he'd do really well in a real system..
Well if Gorton has decided he’s going to move Georgiev it would make sense to do it sooner than later. I can see some logic to doing it sooner while Hank is still here, not to appease Hank or anything but instead to do it while Hank is still good instead of waiting too long and he sucks and now Shesty has no wiggle room to struggle. You do it sooner while Hank is still good enough to handle a heavy load and can insulate Shetsty in case he has some bumps while transitioning to the NHL they don’t throw him with a crap partner or anything like that. Plus selling high on Georgiev.

So I guess if they’ve decided Shesty is their guy it makes sense to make a move soon instead of waiting too long until a bunch of other stuff can happen taking leverage away from Gorton and driving the price down. A bunch of bad games, an injury, other goalies getting moved to interested teams. You never know. So if they know they wanna move him if a fair deal comes along you gotta think long and hard about it.

Reactions: Cag29

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Timashov has been scoring extremely well considering the role he has been played in; 8 minutes a night on a 4th line that gets extreme defensive deployment. 2.1 P/60 is what you expect from a 1st liner. He plays LW too which is by far the largest organizational weakness.

Bracco probably has higher upside, but has yet to play in the NHL and plays RW which is much less of a need.

I think both players would do very well if inserted into our top-9.

Kreider-Zibanejad-Fast
Panarin-Strome-Kakko
Timashov-Chytil-Buchnevich

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Kreider has played like this for about 3-week stretch. The turnaround started when he (briefly) earned a spot on a 4th line during one of the games. Before he was underwhelming to say the least. Same posters who are singing praises were hard on Kreider’s case then.

It's a done deal. Kreider's gone. Two reasons. This is the first time he can command dollars. And securing your future financially, is the utmost importance. Zucc and Hayes were in the same boat. It's really a no brainer. And secondly, whatever he gets, will not be worth the money the Rangers can ill afford. He's a 50 point, 20 something goal scorer on his best days. His contract will be inflated and long term. Neither will be appealing to Rangers brass.

I will miss him and grateful for his time here. He is true blue through and through. Even now he plays for the letters on his jersey. But we are in a new era and it's time to move on and part ways.

We need to sign Strome, ADA, Lemieux, Fast, and Georgie. And of those, only Fast is unrestricted.

Reactions: kovazub94

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
theres no way, and i mean, NO WAY, you lock CK up with his NTC at almost 29 yrs of age (4/20) with a 5-7 year deal. yeesh. even at 6 mil for 5 years. hats a hard no for me. rick nash 2.0. nada.

the guy doesnt score enough NOW. im agile him at 33. hes a 50 point guy. inconsistent as hell and not worth that deal given hell be 35 at the end. that contract will be an albatross and the NTC. yikes.

the numbers show quite conclusively that at age 30, players DROP OFF A CLIFF. that contract will look awful come 2021. PASS.

"but he wont lose his speed or his size". he doesnt know what to do with either today. so ??

kravtsov needs to step into that spot. lets hope he can.

on the flip side, ryan Strome is a centerman and hes 27 in july. 2 years plus younger and a right shot. our once bright and deep middle is now dull and shallow. moving strome makes us even weaker.

projecting in the 70 point range. best face-off guy on the team and a versatile, smart guy who can move up and down. is he benefiting from bread ? sure. is bread benefiting from him ? yep.

he will cost LESS and would probably take a 2 year deal at 5 per.

CK at 30 mil 5 yrs (and thats less than market)
strome at 10 mil 2 yrs.

thats 20 mil to spend elsewhere.

keep lemme, ADA and stromer. SELL georgie to the AVS with CK and andersson for newhook. profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad