Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XVII - Want some, get some

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Meh. Coaches need to say that sort of thing. Complacency will fester if you set the bar too low for too long.

If the Rangers make the playoffs that's great, but I don't think this is indicative of the organizational mandate by any stretch. Attendance is down a bit, sure, but fans will flock back as soon as the team starts to climb the standings just like they always do.

Reactions: BlessThisMess513

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Last year was the bottom out year. This year is not.

Says who? Did I miss a meeting? At the round table with JD, Gorton and Quinn a couple of months ago it was made clear that this rebuild is not over. Anybody thinking this team can start making noise in the playoffs this season is in for it... those folks should prepare to see some players get traded similar to last season.

Reactions: NYRangers16

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Says who? Did I miss a meeting? At the round table with JD, Gorton and Quinn a couple of months ago it was made clear that this rebuild is not over. Anybody thinking this team can start making noise in the playoffs this season is in for it... those folks should prepare to see some players get traded similar to last season.
Rebuilding essentially is the area between the bottom and the playoffs. Trading everyone and finishing near-last is the easy part. I have to think this org would rather just miss the playoffs than finish in the same place as last year.

Reactions: EpicDing and Kendo

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Rebuilding essentially is the area between the bottom and the playoffs. Trading everyone and finishing near-last is the easy part. I have to think this org would rather just miss the playoffs than finish in the same place as last year.

Agreed, but I think (totally my own conjecture) that the plan is to be as competitive as possible until the trade deadline... sell some assets (Kreider? Strome? Fast?) that will be usable for a playoff team... and then start praying to the draft lottery gods.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY

If I had to choose whether to finish with 78 points and land the 2nd OA pick or just miss the playoffs its a no brainer... I'm thinking Gorton would rather go with the 78 points and the chance to land someone like Byfield then take a shot at the playoffs. Again, at the roundtable they kept bringing up the word patience. I think its more likely we have a result similar to last season. Trade for picks and players and see where they land in another deep draft.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If I had to choose whether to finish with 78 points and land the 2nd OA pick or just miss the playoffs its a no brainer... I'm thinking Gorton would rather go with the 78 points and the chance to land someone like Byfield then take a shot at the playoffs. Again, at the roundtable they kept bringing up the word patience. I think its more likely we have a result similar to last season. Trade for picks and players and see where they land in another deep draft.

At this stage I think young roster players are the goal. A lot of guys we draft this offseason won't be NHL ready until 2024-2025.

Reactions: bl02

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I mean I'm not sure Quinn can really say anything else besides they're vying for the playoffs.

I don't think they'll get there, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be the goal.

At some point the outstanding goaltending that is propping up the team will cave and the team will regress towards where they should be in the standings. I see them finishing somewhere in the 10-13 range

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Agreed, but I think (totally my own conjecture) that the plan is to be as competitive as possible until the trade deadline... sell some assets (Kreider? Strome? Fast?) that will be usable for a playoff team... and then start praying to the draft lottery gods.
For sure. But I think the context of all of this is the progression of young players. That is key in determining how successful the season will be. All things being equal I think the org. would rather take a step forward than stagnate. Being a bubble team with zero contributions from the youtes is not great, but that’s fortunately not the case even if a lot of it is Panarin.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Would you rather bottom out this year or just make the playoffs and get knocked out in the first round? I’d like to think the experience for the youth would be greater value than another top pick.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Would you rather bottom out this year or just make the playoffs and get knocked out in the first round? I’d like to think the experience for the youth would be greater value than another top pick.

I'd take the playoff experience and a 17th pick over a 12th pick, but not a won lottery pick. Another top 3 selection would be invaluable for this franchise.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Which pick are we getting? This team has too good goaltending to bottom out, I think.

This years draft is one of the most loaded first rounds in years, maybe ever. If you get into the top 3, you'd be acquiring another Kakko effectively, another building block.

If there was ever a year to be okay with not making the playoffs, this would be the one.

Reactions: charliemurphy

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
I'd take the playoff experience and a 17th pick over a 12th pick, but not a won lottery pick. Another top 3 selection would be invaluable for this franchise.
Oh for sure. Adding another top 3 talent to the organization would put the Rangers in Colorado territory in regards to future contenders. I just can’t see the Rangers bottoming out that far. There’s too much talent on the team despite the flaws.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Oh for sure. Adding another top 3 talent to the organization would put the Rangers in Colorado territory in regards to future contenders. I just can’t see the Rangers bottoming out that far. There’s too much talent on the team despite the flaws.

If we trade away Strome and Kreider at the deadline we could start losing a lot of games really fast.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Which pick are we getting? This team has too good goaltending to bottom out, I think.

This years draft is one of the most loaded first rounds in years, maybe ever. If you get into the top 3, you'd be acquiring another Kakko effectively, another building block.

If there was ever a year to be okay with not making the playoffs, this would be the one.
I think there’s too much pressure on JD and Gorton for them to bottom out another year imo. Sales are down. Of course I’d sign on for another top pick, who wouldn’t, I just don’t see it.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
If we trade away Strome and Kreider at the deadline we could start losing a lot of games really fast.
I can’t see them trading Strome at the deadline unless Gorton is blown away by an offer. I think Strome is an off-season deal if they trade him. Ideally I’d rather see Strome center the third line over Howden. Strome helps insulate the young centers and can help spell them for a game or 2 if they’re going through a rough patch.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
The best thing for a rebuild is a coach that's looking to win as many games as possible, despite the roster moves that need to be made. While that can tend to decrease the value of picks in the following draft, it's better to have that push and pull, rather than a coach that wants his team to draft #1 overall. "Tanking" is unsportsmanlike. Making roster moves in a lost season to bolster future rosters is not unsportsmanlike, it's just playing the game of management.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I think there’s too much pressure on JD and Gorton for them to bottom out another year imo. Sales are down. Of course I’d sign on for another top pick, who wouldn’t, I just don’t see it.
That's fair. I guess it depends on how the organization sees things. They would definitely need lottery luck though, because they won't be bad enough to be close enough for a legit shot at a top 3 pick.

If the team can play better as the season is progressing, and not relying on amazing goaltending to win games, than I'd comfortable with them getting into the playoffs.

If they manage to get in as they're playing now, they would get stomped. And I just don't see as much value in that scenario as another good 1st round pick.

All that said, I think this would be the last year I'd be okay with them not pushing for a playoff spot. With all the assets and players they've collected, 3 years of multiple high draft picks is probably enough

Reactions: Paulie Walnutz

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I've heard that Montgomery had some personal vice issues that he struggled to control that were on the radar for some teams when looking at him; but not stuff that effected his ability to be an effective coach. Maybe something happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad