Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XVII - Want some, get some

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
STL isn’t going to trade their cheap, high-performance assets with so much money locked into their veteran core.

Maybe they’d see a kid like Kostin as expendable, but I can’t see them moving even more young assets after giving up Bokk to Carolina in the Faulk deal.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I'd take the playoff experience and a 17th pick over a 12th pick, but not a won lottery pick. Another top 3 selection would be invaluable for this franchise.
I actually think it's almost a necessity... if the goal is to win a cup. Or to take someone who in a re-draft would go that high.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
STL isn’t going to trade their cheap, high-performance assets with so much money locked into their veteran core.

Maybe they’d see a kid like Kostin as expendable, but I can’t see them moving even more young assets after giving up Bokk to Carolina in the Faulk deal.
That's what was interesting about Barbashev, before all their injuries it was a guy that might be considered expendable. Shifted to the wing and playing 11 mins a night with all the depth they had. With the injuries he's seeing some minutes and he's producing with them so now I'm not sure he's a guy they'd move. The thing that's interesting with STL is that it seems rare that a cup winner still has so much in the prospect pool. Even after moving Bokk they still have Kyrou, Thomas, Blais, Kostin. Once their guys come back from IR Barb more than likely gets pushed back down the lineup so I wonder what'd it take since they're dealing from a strength. They have their top 2 centers, they maybe have one open spot on the wing. So can you give them an incentive? A LHD prospect or something around Kreider and you take Bozaks contract off their hands?

Edit- We also gotta give STL praise for the way they handle their cap. It's also a rarity that a contender has so many good value contracts. I really don't think it's crazy to say that O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Schwartz, Perron, Parayko, hell even Schenn and Faulk's extensions they could legitimately all probably make an extra million

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Please pry Barbashev from STL

Barbashev and Buchnevich used to be linemates as juniors on team Russia. Seems like he had a long time developing but he really became an important piece of the Stanley cup winning Blues. Even if the Blues were in need of a top-6 forward like Kreider they would probably refuse to lose Barbashev and go elsewhere to find another option.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Barbashev and Buchnevich used to be linemates as juniors on team Russia. Seems like he had a long time developing but he really became an important piece of the Stanley cup winning Blues. Even if the Blues were in need of a top-6 forward like Kreider they would probably refuse to lose Barbashev and go elsewhere to find another option.
Now that he's getting more minutes I'd have to agree with you. Even if he doesn't top out as a top 6 guy he'll at least be an important role player that'll play hard, add a few points, kill penalties

Last edited:

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY

St. Louis Blues: Klim Kostin Suffers Severe Injury In AHL

Kostin suffered an apparently knee injury a few weeks ago, can't find any update on it however

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I would love to see Gorton being able to sneak Skjei into a trade.

As the Ryan Graves discussion illustrates, having a shortage of LDs isn’t going to be much of an issue. Heck I think we could deal all of Skjei, Hajak and Lindgren and it still wouldn’t be a disaster. Rykov, a waiver pick-up and Staal wouldn’t be much of a short fall in relation to what we have now. And if we keep Hajak and Lindgren — like we of course will do — we still have a log-jam there. And Rykov, Reunanen, Miller, Robertson and co on the farm.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY

As the Ryan Graves discussion illustrates, having a shortage of LDs isn’t going to be much of an issue. Heck I think we could deal all of Skjei, Hajak and Lindgren and it still wouldn’t be a disaster. Rykov, a waiver pick-up and Staal wouldn’t be much of a short fall in relation to what we have now. And if we keep Hajak and Lindgren — like we of course will do — we still have a log-jam there. And Rykov, Reunanen, Miller, Robertson and co on the farm.

Given the term left on his deal, it seems like more of a summer time move.

But I don't disagree. Skjei also has a limited NTC kick in after next season.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Given the term left on his deal, it seems like more of a summer time move.

But I don't disagree. Skjei also has a limited NTC kick in after next season.

Yeah, and there are some teams out there looking for help on the blueline that might not be super attractive for players when shopping them in other situations. MTL, Winnipeg, EDM and the likes.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

I don't think we would have to "sneak" Skjei into a trade. I'm sure there are plenty of GM's who would be interested in him.

Reactions: leetch99 and Ola

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
I think we could look to move Deangelo's rights at the draft. Looking at Lundkvist's numbers and comparing them to EK65 (Dont ask why) it seems like toggling Nils between the AHL and the NHL next year makes sense. Miller goes to Wisco for one more year, Nils plays NA hockey. Give Keane a chance to win the 3RD spot over Nils in training camp.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
any deal built around skjei and kreider plus andersson would be worth a look for a contender.

add to that a kid like brett howden- who does zero for me, and we have some chips.

the idea of trading georgie to someone like toronto must be considered as well. i really believe the future #1 is gonna be shesty. hank and shesty can handle things if we sell off Georgie.

not interested in draft picks either. no more picks thanks.

its players ready or nearly ready to play that need to come back if we move these guys.

i keep buchnevich. his upside is still there untapped.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I think we could look to move Deangelo's rights at the draft. Looking at Lundkvist's numbers and comparing them to EK65 (Dont ask why) it seems like toggling Nils between the AHL and the NHL next year makes sense. Miller goes to Wisco for one more year, Nils plays NA hockey. Give Keane a chance to win the 3RD spot over Nils in training camp.
Bird in the hand....

I think moving DeAngelo would be a terrible idea, at least right now it would be. Sign him to a long term deal and if/when Nils/K'Andre are ready to take over, trade him. He should have great value.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I don't think we would have to "sneak" Skjei into a trade. I'm sure there are plenty of GM's who would be interested in him.

Yeah for sure, but I think it could be tricky to get full value for him (which should be pretty high).

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

the ONLY scenario that deangelo gets moved at this point, imo, is if his contract demands are so high that it turns him into a bad value...I'm a huge fan of Lundkvist but it makes absolutely ZERO sense to move ADA before he has even signed or steps foot in NA. We don't know if Nils can even play in the NHL yet. we can worry about him forcing a current guy out of the lineup after he comes over.

Reactions: NYRangers16

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Outside of Kreider, I think the only way some of these moves progress to fruition is if there's a deal for an established, youngish NHL player on the table.

I just don't see the Rangers moving ADA at this point because of what Lundkvist might be in a few years. Likewise, I really don't think they like the idea of moving Skjei at this time.

Now, do the Rangers consider those moves for the right names? Sure. But I just don't know if that's in the more immediate future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad