Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XVII - Want some, get some

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
The best thing for a rebuild is a coach that's looking to win as many games as possible, despite the roster moves that need to be made. While that can tend to decrease the value of picks in the following draft, it's better to have that push and pull, rather than a coach that wants his team to draft #1 overall. "Tanking" is unsportsmanlike. Making roster moves in a lost season to bolster future rosters is not unsportsmanlike, it's just playing the game of management.
Very much doubt Penguins, Blackhawks, and Kings give two shits about this, because they are champs multiple times over.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Very much doubt Penguins, Blackhawks, and Kings give two ****s about this, because they are champs multiple times over.
Yeah, I feel like the whole "tanking is bad" thing is super overblown

Do what you got to do to win in the long term

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I can easily see a deadline for the Rangers where they end up buying and selling. Certainly if they move two top-9 players they'd have to find replacements somehow. I.e., Kreider and Strome both go and the Rangers bring in a cheap rental to fill a spot somewhere in the lineup instead of forcing a young kid to do the job.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Very much doubt Penguins, Blackhawks, and Kings give two ****s about this, because they are champs multiple times over.

For the front offices, totally. I'm just not so sure that any of those teams at their respective worst had coaches actively throwing games. Throwing games is the "licking opponents' faces" of coaching. LOL

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Agreed, but I think (totally my own conjecture) that the plan is to be as competitive as possible until the trade deadline... sell some assets (Kreider? Strome? Fast?) that will be usable for a playoff team... and then start praying to the draft lottery gods.
And if enough assets are moved, there should be a decline in scoring which would result in a few more losses.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
For the love of all that's holy, can people PLEASE STOP CONFLATING "tanking" and rebuilding?

–> Tanking: managing your team to lose on purpose (e.g. Buffalo in '14-'15, the Philadelphia 76ers '13-'16, the Miami Dolphins this year)

–> Rebuilding: selling off assets that have no long term future with the team to acquire younger players/picks, and then allowing the results to fall where they may (e.g. the Rangers for the last couple of years)

Last edited:

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Really have the feeling (and others have posted stuff like this before) that were in that 'Carolina 16/17' place right now - that's the closest thing I'm feeling this season. One more bomb laid here and we're going to be set up for a really long time.

I also think we're way better than they were before Svech, and we have better prospects than them in the pipeline.

Sell, sell, sell and make a smart trade or two in the off season. Pick high and a few times in the first. Hoping for that lotto luck one more time. This team could be insanely dangerous starting as soon as next season.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I keep mentioning this but it’s very important, Tyler Wallis a senior in the NCAA. He can walk himself to UFA. If the Rangers must move a goalie in order to create room for him, a guy with sterling numbers in a good league, so he will sign with the Rangers they may need to. Losing a prospect like Wall for nothing would suck.
If Wall won’t sign with the Rangers, they will trade his rights.

MyLoveIsBlue

Feb 20, 2015
awake.jpg

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Says who? Did I miss a meeting? At the round table with JD, Gorton and Quinn a couple of months ago it was made clear that this rebuild is not over. Anybody thinking this team can start making noise in the playoffs this season is in for it... those folks should prepare to see some players get traded similar to last season.
These are the same people who are now hollering that it is the coaches fault as the season is not going to their rather lofty expectations.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

I think that as long as only being the top of 31 is what counts — which is as it should be — all ways have there flaws.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I can easily see a deadline for the Rangers where they end up buying and selling. Certainly if they move two top-9 players they'd have to find replacements somehow. I.e., Kreider and Strome both go and the Rangers bring in a cheap rental to fill a spot somewhere in the lineup instead of forcing a young kid to do the job.
I think that's ideal, maybe trade for one young roster player and sign one stopgap vet in the offseason until the kids take the next step

Reactions: NYRangers16

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I think that's ideal, maybe trade for one young roster player and sign one stopgap vet in the offseason until the kids take the next step

I think we could see another deal like Nash where the Rangers brought back a middling player from another team. That's assuming the Rangers can't get a 22/23/24 year old NHL player somehow, which is what I expect they're pushing for with preliminary Kreider trade talks.

Reactions: B17 Apricots
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->