Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Mentioned Fabbri and Duclair in the Around The League thread last night, but another cast-off who is having a resurgence with a new team is Burakovsky. Small sample but it shows that sometimes investing in those sorts of players is well worth the risk. Especially when weighed against the cost of trying to chase down the perfect fit on paper.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I’m not so old or broke down, but have still slightly tweaked my neck and couldn’t look down or turn my head 60 degrees in either direction for about two weeks. Seems like it would be a dangerous way to play a contact sport.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It's too early in the process for these paradigmatic shift trades.

I agree we should look into a trade for a young forward, particularly a center. But we need to let some of our players develop and figure out where we have usable trade chips.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Mentioned Fabbri and Duclair in the Around The League thread last night, but another cast-off who is having a resurgence with a new team is Burakovsky. Small sample but it shows that sometimes investing in those sorts of players is well worth the risk. Especially when weighed against the cost of trying to chase down the perfect fit on paper.

Absolutely agree, Haula was another one of those guys who seems like a great value move after being hurt last season

Edit: And just in terms of guys already in the league the Rangers haven't done too bad with that sort of thing either when you think of Grabner and Strome. I really wanna pry away Barbashev from STL, even if he just fills out as a bottom 6 guy

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It's too early in the process for these paradigmatic shift trades.

I agree we should look into a trade for a young forward, particularly a center. But we need to let some of our players develop and figure out where we have usable trade chips.

You know it's funny, I think the prevailing thought is that the Rangers would be looking at centers. Right now though, I'm not sure that's their focus-area.

From what I've gathered, I sense they feel reasonably secure with Zibanejad, Chytil, and even Strome, Howden and Andersson to an extent.

I think they feel like a decision is coming up in net sooner rather than later. I don't think they're totally sold on the left side of their defense right now. And I think they'd really like to add some more depth on the wings.

But in general conversations, I think most people might be surprised to learn the whole center thing isn't coming up as much as we might think.

Reactions: NYRangers16

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Duclair is a kid who struggles to main his early success.

There was a bit of a surge in Chicago that faded quickly.

Then there was a surge in Columbus that faded.

Last year he jumped out of the gun in Ottawa before fading a bit.

Duclair is one of those frustrating players who can look pretty damn impressive in 20-25 game sample sizes, and then find himself skating with a new team several months later. That's one of the reasons he's on his fifth team before his 25th anniversary.

He's posted good numbers in Ottawa, but he's also had a lot of his competition removed and so they can keep throwing him out there. How does that look as the team around him gets better, or younger guys start pushing for spots? That will be when things get interesting. This is a chance for him to establish a longer-term residence in Ottawa and be more than placeholder who is good enough until someone younger, cheaper and more well-rounded comes along.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It wouldn’t shock me to see Skjei or DeAngelo traded for Nylander.

I would be one thousand percent in support of Skjei for Nylander. The whole veteran group on LD is overpaid, disappointing, and needs to go.

That said, I think Toronto would want us to add.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Duclair is a kid who struggles to main his early success.

There was a bit of a surge in Chicago that faded quickly.

Then there was a surge in Columbus that faded.

Last year he jumped out of the gun in Ottawa before fading a bit.

Duclair is one of those frustrating players who can look pretty damn impressive in 20-25 game sample sizes, and then find himself skating with a new team several months later. That's one of the reasons he's on his fifth team before his 25th anniversary.

He's posted good numbers in Ottawa, but he's also had a lot of his competition removed and so they can keep throwing him out there. How does that look as the team around him gets better, or younger guys start pushing for spots? That will be when things get interesting. This is a chance for him to establish a longer-term residence in Ottawa and be more than placeholder who is good enough until someone younger, cheaper and more well-rounded comes along.

There are certainly warts there, and for all the guys I listed it's definitely too early to say they've assuredly turned the corner, but it's good to see them succeeding.

I agree that Duclair is streaky but I've just always felt there was too much talent there for him not to be a 20-25 goal guy in the NHL consistently. Those goals may all come in two or three hot-streaks over the course of the year, but if you can live with that then you have a guy who becomes a real weapon if he gets hot at the right time.

Seems like he might be shaking off some of the immaturity and realizing he has a hell of an opportunity to succeed in Ottawa.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm certainly not opposed to trading Skjei.

But I would not underestimate just how much that left side would get worse before it gets better post-trade.

Reactions: Leetch3

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
There are certainly warts there, and for all the guys I listed it's definitely too early to say they've assuredly turned the corner, but it's good to see them succeeding.

I agree that Duclair is streaky but I've just always felt there was too much talent there for him not to be a 20-25 goal guy in the NHL consistently. Those goals may all come in two or three hot-streaks over the course of the year, but if you can live with that then you have a guy who becomes a real weapon if he gets hot at the right time.

Seems like he might be shaking off some of the immaturity and realizing he has a hell of an opportunity to succeed in Ottawa.

Admittedly, I've always been skeptical of guys who are on their fourth or fifth chance, who post numbers on really bad teams. There's a thought process where I say, "Well, that's why that team is where they are."

Duclair is right on the cusp at this point for me.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I get rid of Ruff before I move Skjei.

He's known 2 defensive coaches.. One made him look like a future star, the other is Ruff.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I wonder if Kylington is still a guy they are looking at

I would assign him very little value. Would probably rather have Ryan Graves to be honest, I don't think OK leaps many LDs on our depth chart. Sure he is OK, but not much more than that. JMHO.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Admittedly, I've always been skeptical of guys who are on their fourth or fifth chance, who post numbers on really bad teams. There's a thought process where I say, "Well, that's why that team is where they are."

Duclair is right on the cusp at this point for me.

Rightfully so. I agree that number of gigs is usually a red flag. Especially at a young age. There are just some guys who I'll give the benefit of the doubt to and Duke happens to be one of them.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I just hope he’s ok. I really like him and it’s just our luck that a top player gets hurt like this.
I think the Rangers being so vague about his injury has set some panic into some fans that it’s another concussion. I know how serious an injury that is and I’m hoping it doesn’t end his career prematurely. That’s it.
Bu the issue here is that the panic is an entirely self-created issue made possible by the many medical doctors that post on this board.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Was just coming to say Friedman just mentioned him as a guy who could be on the block for the Flames
Absolutely yes to bringing Kylington into the fold.

His value is so hard to gauge right now. What would Calgary even be looking for in return?

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
I think the big splash toronto might make is Nylander, and Im sure Gorton would want to be all over that. If the Leafs ever traded Matthews it would have to be to Arizona, just move forward the inevitable. I would love Nylander on this team, but I am totally on the fire Ruff team before we touch Skjei.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad