Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Well then why believe anything anyone ever reports?
There are people you can objectively believe, and you know who they are. TSN Bob doesn't post for clicks. Neither does Dreger. That's why people spoof those accounts and not Larry's. People actually believe those writers.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Put me down as someone who isn't terribly enamored with Babcock.

I think he's a guy who was the right fit, at the right time, for a Detroit team at the tale end of it's championship years. But I can't say I was wowed by his performances before that gig, or that I've been wowed by his performances since that time.
He brought the Leafs to the exact phase that the Rangers just left: a team that scores a lot and doesn’t play defense.

Reactions: jas, Edge and Trxjw

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Ok, but thats still not enough. They all speculate way too much. cc @GeorgeKaplan
I get what you're saying, and I do agree, but there isn't really much else for them to do with their columns when the organization is as tight lipped as it is. With believing some of the rumors/ideas that come out I think I'd have Friedman/McKenzie/Shannon in a tier of their own at the top, our beat writers as a significant step down from that top tier, then all of the other insiders out there at the bottom (with exceptions for people who are really plugged in to very specific situations/players)

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
There are people you can objectively believe, and you know who they are. TSN Bob doesn't post for clicks. Neither does Dreger. That's why people spoof those accounts and not Larry's. People actually believe those writers.

I didn't say I'd ONLY believe it if our guys say it, MacKenzie or Friedman would be acceptable too. But they didn't report it. Like I said, this is some rando at TSN who isn't even twitter verified.

Either way, Babcock doesn't make any sense for us and is definitely not a development coach, so I don't see why they would fire Quinn to hire Babcock anyway.

Reactions: Avery16

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I get what you're saying, and I do agree, but there isn't really much else for them to do with their columns when the organization is as tight lipped as it is. With believing some of the rumors/ideas that come out I think I'd have Friedman/McKenzie/Shannon in a tier of their own at the top, our beat writers as a significant step down from that top tier, then all of the other insiders out there at the bottom (with exceptions for people who are really plugged in to very specific situations/players)
I'm not saying don't read them. I'll be first in line. I just mean don't count on Babcock coming here just because you see Larry or Carp pull it out of the ether.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I'm not saying don't read them. I'll be first in line. I just mean don't count on Babcock coming here just because you see Larry or Carp pull it out of the ether.
Uncle Larry rarely, if ever, tweets speculation unless I'm incredibly mistaken. His columns yes, but he writes in a tabloid style for a tabloid paper.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Uncle Larry rarely, if ever, tweets speculation unless I'm incredibly mistaken. His columns yes, but he writes in a tabloid style for a tabloid paper.
Excuse me? Larry doesn't speculate? Larry is wrong about basic facts often. In the last week alone, the Andersson "dilemma nears breaking point", but said "dilemma" was shrewdly sidestepped (sarcasm) by a simple demotion that many on here had suggested for weeks. That same week he implied Shesty might bolt to the KHL and suggested the Rangers demote Georgiev. I'm not holding my breath.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Excuse me? Larry doesn't speculate? Larry is wrong about basic facts often. In the last week alone, the Andersson "dilemma nears breaking point", but said "dilemma" was shrewdly sidestepped (sarcasm) by a simple demotion that many on here had suggested for weeks. That same week he implied Shesty might bolt to the KHL and suggested the Rangers demote Georgiev. I'm not holding my breath.
That has nothing to do with what I just said.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
just reminding you- we are in disagreement over whether or not Larry speculates.
no, I said explicitly he doesn't speculate on twitter very much, after you objected to our beat writers lack of credibility in tweeting out things compared to McKenzie and Dreger.

the newspaper is not twitter.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
no, I said explicitly he doesn't speculate on twitter very much, after you objected to our beat writers lack of credibility in tweeting out things compared to McKenzie and Dreger.

the newspaper is not twitter.
90% of his tweets are links to his articles. How is it even possible for him to write speculation but his tweeted links to his written speculation not also constitute speculation? Absurd.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
90% of his tweets are links to his articles. How is it even possible for him to write speculation but his tweeted links to his written speculation not also constitute speculation? Absurd.
if you say so.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
You can tell who the kids are. If you remember post-Richter and pre-Hank then you’d know what he’s meant to this organization. If you’d seen him drag this team from being a laughing stock into a serious contender then you’d get it. Sure, he’s not in his prime anymore but I won’t fault the guy for finishing his deal here. He earned that contract by his play, professionalism, and leadership. Hockey wise it’s probably best for he and the team if they retain and move him to a contender, but if that’s not his prerogative then I’m not going to bash him and all he’s done.

you can also tell the fans who can’t let go. The Giants have many of them who couldn’t come to grips Eli Manning was done. Same type fan can’t come to grips this is a Rangers rebuild and an old goalie isn’t part of a rebuild. Ny helps him maintain his QOL which is tops on his list.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Plus, out of all the coaches of teams listed in that tweet, I'd want Laviolette the most. I think Nashville would be crazy to let him go.
I don't like Laviolette. Quenneville would have been interesting, but that ship has sailed.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Laviolette is an EXCELLENT option for a team that is looking to contend.

He's Torts-ish in how his shelf life is limited no matter where he ends up, but hes had some level of success everywhere hes been.
better coaches don't have shelf lifes. Torts had an excellent chance to win with an all-star, tough roster in a very short window on the national stage, and he devolved into a blubbering mess within a game.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The roster building question of the night for me is: If you could keep only one of DeAngelo/Kreider, who do you keep?

On the one hand, DeAngelo is much younger, on the other, LW appears to be a bigger position of need for NYR moving forward, and Kreider offers some elements that are harder to find on this roster than ADA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad