Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XV: Trading up or down? - Mod Warning post #450

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
8 days left until the draft
16 days until UFA begins
Potential Buyout period and likely a few trades
Then the RFA negotiations with 10 unsigned free agents
This will be a telling time for the future of the NYR org
It’s happening!
But what “it” is remains to be seen.
Not the cousin It I hope
Any hints or speculation as to whether we see any trades before the draft or at the draft involving the Rangers?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Take Kotkaniemi at 9 and then deal up to around 15 to get Bode Wilde and 20-25 to get K’Andre Miller.

A combination of size and skill on the blueline will be hard to create for many teams, a combo of Wilde and Miller along with Skjei gives us a sick platform to build on. Add Hajak, Lindgren, Rykov, TDA and Pionk and we should have the bulk of a top blueline in place.

Kotkaniemi would be a great add. Leave him in Finland for a year. Leave the US kids in college a year. Then bring all three in for next season and let Quinn work with them on the puck moving game of his. We’d be rich on assets. Around that blueline and Kotka, Lias, Chytil, Buch, Kreids, Ziba, Vesey, Fast, Howden, our high pick of 19’ and so forth we should get back into contention and have the ability to stay up there for a really long time.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Take Kotkaniemi at 9 and then deal up to around 15 to get Bode Wilde and 20-25 to get K’Andre Miller.

A combination of size and skill on the blueline will be hard to create for many teams, a combo of Wilde and Miller along with Skjei gives us a sick platform to build on. Add Hajak, Lindgren, Rykov, TDA and Pionk and we should have the bulk of a top blueline in place.

Kotkaniemi would be a great add. Leave him in Finland for a year. Leave the US kids in college a year. Then bring all three in for next season and let Quinn work with them on the puck moving game of his. We’d be rich on assets. Around that blueline and Kotka, Lias, Chytil, Buch, Kreids, Ziba, Vesey, Fast, Howden, our high pick of 19’ and so forth we should get back into contention and have the ability to stay up there for a really long time.

and then you sign Karlsson in 2019.

This team can be VERY good by that time

Reactions: Ola

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
The Rangers are giving Karlsson 7 years and $12M per at the age of 29?
Hey RB, first time long time, ignoring Karlsson for a second, and jumping into UFAs as a whole.

Judging by your lack of want, for lack of a better term, to sign any UFAs, is your goal for the Rangers to just be in a perpetual rebuild? Or, is your stance on UFAs this off-season explicitly because of where the Rangers are today as an organization. I'll hang up and listen now. Thanks.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Hey RB, first time long time, ignoring Karlsson for a second, and jumping into UFAs as a whole.

Judging by your lack of want, for lack of a better term, to sign any UFAs, is your goal for the Rangers to just be in a perpetual rebuild? Or, is your stance on UFAs this off-season explicitly because of where the Rangers are today as an organization.

Can't speak for anyone else, buy I am adamantly opposed to signing any big UFAs this summer. Let the team learn Quinn's system next season and grow together through the ups and downs. If we're going to sign anyone this summer I'd like it to be Grabner types we can move for more picks/prospects at the deadline like we did this year. Follow that up with another big draft next June and we should have a great foundation in place. At that point I'm fine going for a big name or two, since I think 2019-2010 will be the beginning of the upswing for NYR. In a nutshell I don't see the point in wasting a year (probably 2) of high priced UFAs prime years when we won't be winning anything. No need for a perpetual rebuild...just show some patience for 1 year and get the building blocks in place first.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
In fairness there would only be 3 years left on the current CBA. There could be more compliance buyouts soon enough. That said, not sure NYR would want to pay him all that cash on the remaining 4 years.

I doubt the Rangers would worry that much about the money after they did the same thing with Richards, but I think any team banking on there being compliance buyouts in the next CBA are setting themselves up for failure. They happened last time because the cap went down. I don't see the cap going down again.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Apparently. No player has ever had a 10-15 game hot streak or a 10-15 game cold streak before...

How much do you think another gm is going to give up for him after seeing him flounder away from elite talent? Too many question marks to give up a significant asset for. I don't think any team is looking at him and thinking "There is our missing puzzle piece!"

Better to see how he does in a new system, with a new coach and see if we can't raise that trade value again (or just have him stay long term.)

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
It shouldn't. Karlsson has had several major lower body injuries. Mobility is one of his best assets. He had a terrible year last year. There is a very good chance that his game will not age well.

His "terrible year" last year had him put up 62 points and a 50.8% corsi Rating while playing on arguably a bottom 3 team.........

Reactions: Graves94

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Can't speak for anyone else, buy I am adamantly opposed to signing any big UFAs this summer. Let the team learn Quinn's system next season and grow together through the ups and downs. If we're going to sign anyone this summer I'd like it to be Grabner types we can move for more picks/prospects at the deadline like we did this year. Follow that up with another big draft next June and we should have a great foundation in place. At that point I'm fine going for a big name or two, since I think 2019-2010 will be the beginning of the upswing for NYR. In a nutshell I don't see the point in wasting a year (probably 2) of high priced UFAs prime years when we won't be winning anything. No need for a perpetual rebuild...just show some patience for 1 year and get the building blocks in place first.

This i absolutely 100% agree with

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
It shouldn't. Karlsson has had several major lower body injuries. Mobility is one of his best assets. He had a terrible year last year. There is a very good chance that his game will not age well.

He didn’t have a terrible year. He had a bit of a slow start be he also had no camp.

His lower body injuries were a broken foot and a freak accident that happened 5 years ago.

If anything, he is the type who does age well. It’s the Staal/Orpik/Seabrooks who don’t.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I look around the league at contracts like Eichel, Kane, and what Marner is about to get and I anticipate a lockout soon.

8x8 for players scoring in the high 60's for points is insane. Lower budget teams arent going to be able to afford to keep more than one good player at a time.

Add a potential 7x 14 monstrosity for Tavares and I feel something coming to a head here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad