Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XV: Trading up or down? - Mod Warning post #450

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I don’t know man, the Rangers and UFAs inching close to 30. It’s kind of a bad romance.

If we’re already looking at buyouts under the next CBA as our fail-safe, that’s probably pretty indicative of the inherent risk of what we’re proposing.

I really need to see how he looks next season first.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I look around the league at contracts like Eichel, Kane, and what Marner is about to get and I anticipate a lockout soon.

8x8 for players scoring in the high 60's for points is insane. Lower budget teams arent going to be able to afford to keep more than one good player at a time.

Add a potential 7x 14 monstrosity for Tavares and I feel something coming to a head here.

There was going to be a lockout regardless

That is the go to negotiating tactic of the owners.

It's worked for them twice already. Go with what works.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
for the first 50-60% of that contract, no, I am not.

It's the other 40-50% we should be worried about. Even if he is really good for the first 4 years, how many of those years are we going to be legit cup contenders? 1, maybe 2 if we are lucky? Getting Karlsson isn't going to suddenly make us cup contenders any more than he made Ottawa a cup contender this past year. Trading for or signing Karlsson would be a huge mistake. If you are going to make a move like that, you want his best years to coincide with our best chance to win the cup, not years where we are in the middle of a rebuild.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Karlsson is a transcendent talent. I can understand concerns with his age and injuries but to outright dismiss signing him because of the cap hit is ridiculous in my opinion. Makes me think some don’t realize just how good the guy is.

I personally think he’s going to age like fine wine and be at the least a top 10 D for virtually his whole career.

If you believe he will hold up for at least the first half of his contract then money shouldn’t be any obstacle you pay the man and get him on Broadway.

Reactions: Bozle and Ola

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Karlsson is a transcendent talent. I can understand concerns with his age and injuries but to outright dismiss signing him because of the cap hit is ridiculous in my opinion. Makes me think some don’t realize just how good the guy is.

I personally think he’s going to age like fine wine and be at the least a top 10 D for virtually his whole career.

If you believe he will hold up for at least the first half of his contract then money shouldn’t be any obstacle you pay the man and get him on Broadway.
If anyone should be gun shy about signing high priced free agents, it's Ranger fans.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I wouldn’t, but I think you’re kidding yourself if you think it isn’t possible.

Many thought there was no chance Shattenkirk was coming here too.

No chance of Shattenkirk coming here for 6-7 years at $6M-$7M.

Brooks wrote the Rangers would take Shattenkirk on a shorter term deal.

You think Karlsson as a free agent will be the same situation as Shattenkirk?

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Hey RB, first time long time, ignoring Karlsson for a second, and jumping into UFAs as a whole.

Judging by your lack of want, for lack of a better term, to sign any UFAs, is your goal for the Rangers to just be in a perpetual rebuild? Or, is your stance on UFAs this off-season explicitly because of where the Rangers are today as an organization. I'll hang up and listen now. Thanks.

lol 'perpetual rebuild'. we aren't barely into year 1 of the rebuild. the letter was sent out 4 months ago and you act like we are the islanders rebuilding for 20 years

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
If anyone should be gun shy about signing high priced free agents, it's Ranger fans.
And I get that. I just think Karlsson is so far above any of the other past free agents.

Brad Richards, Scott Gomez, Chris Drury. Good players. Usually the best level players that change teams in free agency in the cap era. Karlsson is a generational defenseman.

I agree you have to do your due diligence towards his injuries and seeing if he’s the player he’s always been still. That’s why this year is huge for Karlsson. I think if he’s healthy then I would throw an empty bag at him.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Truth be told, with how rapidly the game is changing, I don’t know if we really know how well a lot of these guys are going to age.

I’ve heard people talk about how McD should age well, or Grabner should age well, or Karlsson. But I’m not sure those claims aren’t based more on hypothesis than factual evidence.

I feel it’s the next couple of years that will set the approach for how talents age in this generations game. But I’m not so sure benchmarks from 10 or even just 5 years ago are going to be accurate.

With very rare exceptions, I think you’re going to continue to see more talent really turn that corner in their age 29/30 season.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Here's a legit question, do we have what it takes to acquire the 10th overall from Edmonton? If so, what's that cost?

The short answer is yes.

The longer answer is what are they looking for? Do they like Spooner or Namestnikov? Zuccarello? If yes then one of them along with a pick or two should do it. If no, then they probably be looking at both late 1st’s + maybe another 2nd/3rd rounder most likely.

I’d have to believe something like Namestnikov + TB 1st would be more intriguing than strictly picks but it’s Chiarelli...

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Here's a legit question, do we have what it takes to acquire the 10th overall from Edmonton? If so, what's that cost?
A package around Kreider most likely. They need wingers and RD.

We’re lacking in RD so wingers is the only thing we have to offer them

Pass for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad