Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XV: Trading up or down? - Mod Warning post #450

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
Karlsson and Hoffman drama reminds me of something in Ranger land back in the day.

The worst Ranger trade of all-time had to do with a significant other of a player. Can't get into the details, but it forced a trade within days.

Rangers got fleeced hardcore.
Also reminds me of the (more recent) LA-PHL blockbuster that brought LA the Cup. It was a direct response to the continued boinking of player A's SO by Player B.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yeah, its stinks so bad lol.

And there are -- obviously -- so many layers to this. I am a huge Karlsson fan and have always loved him, and it doesn't necessarily have to include him that much, but I still want to point out what nobody else dears to say and that is that it takes two to tango. One nut case don't create this mess alone. What do I know, maybe Hoffaman's GF is a complete maniac and decided to go to extreme lengths to cyber terrorize Melinda Karlsson, who knows. Don't think its extremely likely that she does it for zero reasons though. Needless to say there is not even remotely an "excuse" for her to write what she have written or do anything of it, but just saying that it takes two to tango. Further, there are -- zero reason -- whatsoever to go to court with this, other than to destroy Hoffman and or his girl friend. What the ****. You have passed the threshold for what should be dealt in-house by like a zillion miles lol.

I don't even think both Hoffaman and his GF being complete nuts alone creates this mess either, it takes more than those two...

Eh that's a pretty idealistic view of the world. There are absolutely crazy people who will create massive amounts of drama and problems for no reason other than they decide they don't like someone or think that someone disrespected them, etc. It really doesn't "take two to tango", people can be absolutely insane and any ideas otherwise are just a story we tell ourselves to make ourselves feel better. We figure if we just keep our noses clean and avoid drama we'll be fine and it won't find us, which is false.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Karlsson and Hoffman drama reminds me of something in Ranger land back in the day.

The worst Ranger trade of all-time had to do with a significant other of a player. Can't get into the details, but it forced a trade within days.

Rangers got fleeced hardcore.
Reminded me of Shanny Janney with the Blues.

Reactions: Mikos87

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Eh that's a pretty idealistic view of the world. There are absolutely crazy people who will create massive amounts of drama and problems for no reason other than they decide they don't like someone or think that someone disrespected them, etc. It really doesn't "take two to tango", people can be absolutely insane and any ideas otherwise are just a story we tell ourselves to make ourselves feel better. We figure if we just keep our noses clean and avoid drama we'll be fine and it won't find us, which is false.
Yeah seriously. I wish I was still that naive about crazy people.

Reactions: Sarge13 and Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Meh, if Hoffman's gf is a "crazy" type girl it wouldn't surprise me if she escalated things on her own.

Taking two to tango could maybe be true to a point but could have been as simple as the two women not liking each other and not getting along. Then Hoffman's gf ratchets things up to 11 on her own. Entirely possible.

Yeah definitely. Just saying, it should never have come to this. Not with one extreme nutty. There are three other parties, Hoffman, Melinda K and EK. Who knows which turns things have taken, but in the end it don't go this far if all three of them are spotless and it probably don't go this far if 2 of those 3 are spotless either...

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Yeah you are probably right. But I am more referring to how far this escalated. Things can escalate very very far before one wife ends up in court seeking an order against another wife. I don't doubt someone alone could create all kinds of problems up until that point. But on some kind of dispute resolution scale a talk between EK and Hoffman should come early, a talk between Hoffman and his GF, then a talk between the four of them, then outside counseling and the management of the team etc etc etc.

In my world, you have to have failed all those steps before you open the door to the court house throwing the book at one and other. Like maybe if the two ladies can't sort this out with that assistent -- maybe Hoffman should have considered finding new company? If Melinda and Erik can't move on without revenging whomever cyber bullying them in front of the public -- are they really putting the team first?

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Seems like Lucic is destined to head out of Edmonton at this point. I'll be curious to see if the Oilers end up having to part with the #10 to get him off the books somehow.
Honestly, even with his contract, I don’t think Lucic’s value around the league is THAT bad. I think (and several GMs do as well I bet) he’ll bounce back next season production wise, I don’t see him having a 6.8 sh% again.

Not that Edmonton will get anything of real value back for him; I just don’t think they’ll have too much trouble trading him if they really want to.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If Melinda and Erik can't move on without revenging whomever cyber bullying them in front of the public -- are they really putting the team first?

I think this goes a wee bit beyond cyber bullying.

If someone is making fun of the way you dress, or talk, or something along those lines, that's one thing.

But to go after someone who just lost a child, create burner accounts, and say some of the things that were said?

That's a whole different story.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
https://nypost.com/2018/06/13/nhl-wives-teammates-fiancees-alleged-harassment-took-scary-turn/

It wasn’t just the Karlssons who noticed the frightening situation.
On Tuesday, Kodette LaBarbera, wife of former goaltender Jason LaBarbera, tweeted: “Her fixation with Mel has always been unhealthy. Then it became scary. So glad Mel is protecting herself. No team will welcome this girl to the room.”

Julie Turris, wife of former Senators forward Kyle Turris, defended her friend as well.
“This crossed the line from cyber bullying to something entirely different in April,” she wrote on Twitter. “Unfortunate that this private matter has become public. Incredibly proud of my girl for standing up for herself and her family, it took courage.”
Added Marlee Hammond, the wife of former Ottawa goalie Andrew Hammond: “oh man if you only knew how unsurprising this actually is. horrible just horrible. and the worst part of all of this is how @MelindaCurrey just wanted to keep this private because she’s THAT nice of a person even when a person can be this cruel to her.”

This was just posted an hour ago.

Hoffman's value just went WAY down the toilet.... The entire team appears to be not shocked at all, and apparently this girl Monika is a real bitch...

Reactions: Ola and Sarge13

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest

All of us, even the insane ones, are the protagonist in our own life story. Something happened between these two women, and I doubt either one of them is completely innocent. It just sounds like Hoffman's girlfriend hit the nuke button first. I mean, if she truly did make those posts, that's something you can't come back from. That is some truly evil, f***ed up stuff to say about someone who just lost a child.

It's just that the petri dish these people live in is a breeding ground for entitlement, narcissism, and sociopathy.

Also, I wonder what the burden of proof was to get the order of protection, from a legal standpoint. I know nothing about Canadian law, but surely the Karlssons needed to have some kind of proof to get the order of protection, right? But, it also seems weird that it came from her, and not the police. It's just confusing.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm not really sure why we keep hedging our bets that Karlsson's wife is completely innocent in all this.

None of us really know the story yet, but it just seems like such an odd thing to say.

Last edited:
Reactions: leetch99

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Seems like Lucic is destined to head out of Edmonton at this point. I'll be curious to see if the Oilers end up having to part with the #10 to get him off the books somehow.
Let’s turn this into something bigger.......

Lucic 1/2 retained by Edmonton and #10 and next years first for Spooner and Smith

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I'm not really sure why we keep hedging our bets that Karlsson's wife isn't completely innocent in all this.

None of us really know the story yet, but it just seems like such an odd thing to say.
I'd say given the outpouring of support from the other wives and girlfriends of the team, it's a safe bet.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'd say given the outpouring of support from the other wives and girlfriends of the team, it's a safe bet.

People can be very clicky, and often social groups 'take sides' in a conflict.

Not gonna say that's the case here, but its worth bringing up. Not a big fan of the main board dialogue basically insinuating that all attractive women are useless brainless bubbleheads seeking drama, either. Kind of immature.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'm not really sure why we keep hedging our bets that Karlsson's wife isn't completely innocent in all this.

Said this from the moment it was released. It would not surprise me if there's some backstory to this similar to the Sharp-story in Chicago

emodwarf

Oct 12, 2009
Boston. Sucks.

Surprised to see this from you, considering your posts are often some of the most realistic, logical, thoughtful, and balanced ones on the board.

Do we know exactly what's happened, who's done what, etc.? Nope. But why is it odd to assume Karlsson's wife is innocent in this? Victim blaming is really lousy, and most often it happens to women specifically.

Reactions: Sarge13

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Surprised to see this from you, considering your posts are often some of the most realistic, logical, thoughtful, and balanced ones on the board.

Do we know exactly what's happened, who's done what, etc.? Nope. But why is it odd to assume Karlsson's wife is innocent in this? Victim blaming is really lousy, and most often it happens to women specifically.
It is odd that a woman would go that far to make a couple miserable without a background story.
Like every law case, we shouldn't go saying she is a crazy chick without the due process. Inocent until proven otherwise is a concept that people usually forget about.

Reactions: Hellion and Ola

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Actually, that's what I meant. Though in re-reading it, I think it looks like I was saying the opposite.

What was I trying to say was that I don't know why we keep assuming that Karlsson did something wrong. It should probably read "...hedging out bets that Karlsson is innocent."

I'm going to go back and change that.

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA

I think this is definitely true, but then the question becomes - why hasn't anyone defended Hoffman's fiancée in all this? She's getting dragged through the mud right now and I'm not aware of anyone coming forward to defend her besides Mike.

Reactions: TheTakedown

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I think this is definitely true, but then the question becomes - why hasn't anyone defended Hoffman's fiancée in all this? She's getting dragged through the mud right now and I'm not aware of anyone coming forward to defend her besides Mike.

Yep, there is no public support for Hoffmann or his fiancee... On top of that, Melinda is the one who had to go through a stillbirth for a dead child. No matter how much you hate someone, to shit on them for that, and then shit on them as a person on TOP of that? Yeah, I'm sorry, but that's a very low level of scum, and the fact that this is what it's come to cements it for me that Hoffmann's fiancee is most likely the problem

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Not gonna say that's the case here, but its worth bringing up. Not a big fan of the main board dialogue basically insinuating that all attractive women are useless brainless bubbleheads seeking drama, either. Kind of immature.
Yeah. Such a tolerant and loving group they are.

I can't see how Hoffman has much value after this whole fiasco. Even if he distances himself/ends his relationship, I would be concerned.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
It is odd that a woman would go that far to make a couple miserable without a background story.
Like every law case, we shouldn't go saying she is a crazy chick without the due process. Inocent until proven otherwise is a concept that people usually forget about.
Idk what Karlsson's wife could've done to justify this woman creating burner accounts and essentially stalking her on social media about her unborn and then stillborn child.

Let's say they were both catty and whatever about each other and really didn't like each other, taking it to that level is uncalled far regardless of almost anything else that occurred. Karlsson's wife could've legitimately been a rude and mean person to Hoffman's gf, but that doesn't mean she should be harassed and cyberbullied and then about the dead kid stuff, jeez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad