Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XV: Trading up or down? - Mod Warning post #450

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Idk what Karlsson's wife could've done to justify this woman creating burner accounts and essentially stalking her on social media about her unborn and then stillborn child.

Let's say they were both catty and whatever about each other and really didn't like each other, taking it to that level is virtually uncalled far regardless of anything else that occurred.
I agree, but first it has to be proven that it was her that created the fake account and etc.
I'm kind of cautious with this kind of stuff since one case particularly famous murder in Brazil where everybody was pitying the daughter of a murdered couple and one month later it was discovered that she was the one who killed them. Apples and orange but it illustrates my point.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I'm not really sure why we keep hedging our bets that Karlsson's wife is completely innocent in all this.

None of us really know the story yet, but it just seems like such an odd thing to say.

Will take a swipe at it:

The whole process that has emerged of people wholeheartedly buying into the first narrative they read and piling on vitriol towards the accused completely nauseates me. People who have no idea what really happened spouting off digitally to make themselves feel self righteous. As such it sometimes a inspires a defensive reaction, out of pure disdain for the process.

In this instance, it did not. Most likely because the accusation is so heinous and so much support has come out for Mrs Karlsson. Too hard to presume innocence.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Seems like Lucic is destined to head out of Edmonton at this point. I'll be curious to see if the Oilers end up having to part with the #10 to get him off the books somehow.

I'll reiterate that if Edmonton holds some salary (say $1.5-$2m per year) and takes Staal, I'd consider it. Hiding a 3rd line winger (even though I think he is a 2nd line winger for the next 3-4 years) later in his career is EASIER than hiding any defenseman.

Reactions: Lindberg Cheese

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I'll reiterate that if Edmonton holds some salary (say $1.5-$2m per year) and takes Staal, I'd consider it. Hiding a 3rd line winger (even though I think he is a 2nd line winger for the next 3-4 years) later in his career is EASIER than hiding any defenseman.
I would definitely consider that scenario.

Problem is, I don't think it's realistic at all. If they retain 1.5-2m for Lucic, then Staal is basically a 7.2-7.7m cap hit for them the next 3 seasons. Sure, it's less seasons, but it's just them getting rid of one problem for another.

Reactions: haveandare

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

Problem is, I don't think it's realistic at all. If they retain 1.5-2m for Lucic, then Staal is basically a 7.2-7.7m cap hit for them the next 3 seasons. Sure, it's less seasons, but it's just them getting rid of one problem for another.
Yup, don't see them doing that. I also think that's a very generous outlook on Lucic. I think it's more likely he's not even in the league in 4 years than it is that he's a 2nd line winger.

Lone Ranger

Jan 31, 2009
New York

Wouldn't Staal block the trade?

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
I believe Lucic also has a NTC that kicks in within the next couple seasons, meaning he would take up an expansion protection slot.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Didn't we see the other day Staal had an NMC for the duration of his contract? Why would he want to go to Edmonton?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

I am thinking there could be a deal to be made here. What about the Rangers also retaining on Staal? The Rangers probably can take that cap for the next few years. Would Edmonton pay the Rangers for the small cap relief now and the massive cap relief in years 4 + 5?

Year 1

NYR
$5m for Lucic
$2.0m for Staal
=$7m

EDM
$3.7m for Staal
$2.5m for Lucic
= $6.2m

Year 2

NYR
$5.0m for Lucic
$2.0m for Staal
=$7m

EDM
$3.7m for Staal
$2.5m for Lucic
= $6.2m

Year 3

NYR
$5.5m for Lucic
$2.0m for Staal
=$7m

EDM
$3.7m for Staal
$2.0m for Lucic
= $6.2m

Year 4

NYR
$5m for Lucic

EDM
$2.5m for Lucic

Year 5

NYR
$5m for Lucic

EDM
$2.5m for Lucic

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Here is a pie chart of the most likely ways that Marc Staal is no longer on this team:

oWpLF5R.png

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

I can't picture them eating salary and taking back a bad contract. It's probably one or the other. Plus, I doubt Staal would waive to go to Edmonton and a wildly inconsistent, highly paid LHD is something that's quite abundant in Oil Country already.

I'm not really worried about his body breaking down per se, but ya gotta question if the foot speed is going to go from worrisome to down right debilitating in a hurry. Of course there are expansion considerations as well.

But with a full NMC, Lucic is definitely in the driver's seat. Plus, if the rumors of him not wanting to play in Canada are true, he might force a trade to a market where he can hide a bit. I'm sure the knuckleheads in MSG would embrace him.

If they ate around $1.5-2m per and were willing to include the #10, then maybe I could work something out. The problem is they just have nothing of value outside of #10, Puljujaarvi, and Yamamoto to throw in. Bear and Jones are alright, but not "take this anchor of my hands" quality.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I think this goes a wee bit beyond cyber bullying.

If someone is making fun of the way you dress, or talk, or something along those lines, that's one thing.

But to go after someone who just lost a child, create burner accounts, and say some of the things that were said?

That's a whole different story.

Not to mention that it was a year long.

Its harrassment and asking g the team to handle it?

The concept of keeping g that behavior "in house" is completely Pejorative Slured.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I can't picture them eating salary and taking back a bad contract. It's probably one or the other. Plus, I doubt Staal would waive to go to Edmonton and a wildly inconsistent, highly paid LHD is something that's quite abundant in Oil Country already.

I'm not really worried about his body breaking down per se, but ya gotta question if the foot speed is going to go from worrisome to down right debilitating in a hurry. Of course there are expansion considerations as well.

But with a full NMC, Lucic is definitely in the driver's seat. Plus, if the rumors of him not wanting to play in Canada are true, he might force a trade to a market where he can hide a bit. I'm sure the knuckleheads in MSG would embrace him.

If they ate around $1.5-2m per and were willing to include the #10, then maybe I could work something out. The problem is they just have nothing of value outside of #10, Puljujaarvi, and Yamamoto to throw in. Bear and Jones are alright, but not "take this anchor of my hands" quality.

Lucic and the 10th for Spooner?

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Let’s turn this into something bigger.......

Lucic 1/2 retained by Edmonton and #10 and next years first for Spooner and Smith

At that point, Edmonton is adding salary, getting worse players, and giving up 2 picks. I also think Smith has a M-NTC. Why would they trade Lucic at $3M with 2 1sts for Smith at $4.3 and Spooner a $3.5-4.5 extended?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I'm not really sure why we keep hedging our bets that Karlsson's wife is completely innocent in all this.

None of us really know the story yet, but it just seems like such an odd thing to say.

I don’t think you understand the situation, whatever bullying went on — it’s not like there is any bets to hedge. You would have to be brain dead to think that it was called for. That is what it is.

But right now there is something else that is going on, and that is a — mega big — news story that is not good for anyone, at all. And it will not stop anytime soon, it will probably keep going on and off for years.

There is no direct link between one g/f of a hockey player acting like a psychopath and it becoming a mega big news story and the issues being sorted out in public display. This news story is not good for any individual, it is not good at all for Ottawa Senators, it is not good for the NHL and it’s not good for hockey, it is in fact a PR nightmare.

This is the mess we have ended up with, and in this context you have someone who have acted like a psychopath but that alone should not have been enough to create this extreme mess. And it’s an extreme mess, its like headline news on CNN sports international, could like be the biggest ‘hockey story’ in a decade...

If you think this is about victim blaming you are just not grasping the situation. Poll 31 NHL GMs and ask if they think this was handled in an optimal way, you tell me, how many do you think would say yeah it was text book?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad