Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XV: Trading up or down? - Mod Warning post #450

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
That's certainly a fair opinion but I do think there is a drop in between the majority of names and Kotkaniemi and Farabee. Sure it's a difference of opinion and board dependent but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Yeah it's definitely one of the intriguing story lines of the draft. After that top-3 things can go any number of ways when looking at the next group. I know I have Farabee and Kotkaniemi rated higher than most, and Bouchard rated a bit lower than most.

So yeah if you think there's a notable drop off, then I can totally see why you'd value moving up more than I would.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah it's definitely one of the intriguing story lines of the draft. After that top-3 things can go any number of ways when looking at the next group. I know I have Farabee and Kotkaniemi rated higher than most, and Bouchard rated a bit lower than most.

So yeah if you think there's a notable drop off, then I can totally see why you'd value moving up more than I would.
I posted my list not too long ago. I have Kotkaniemi and Farabee in the Top 10 as well, ahead of guys like Bouchard. I like them but the players I have a tier above I feel are safer bets.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I posted my list not too long ago. I have Kotkaniemi and Farabee in the Top 10 as well, ahead of guys like Bouchard. I like them but the players I have a tier above I feel are safer bets.

Kotkaniemi in the top-10 I can definitely see. Farabee I never projected in the top-10

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Wasn't concerned if we were in the top 10.

It was when we started drifting to the 11 spot that I got a little uneasy.

Reactions: Trxjw

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
DeDmrpfVMAEm7n-.jpg:large
Hate to be a buzzkill, but this bit only worked in that movie because he had the 1st overall pick.

We can't say anyone no matter what because 8 teams pick ahead of us. There's a lot of "what" that can happen that is out of our control.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Wasn't concerned if we were in the top 10.

It was when we started drifting to the 11 spot that I got a little uneasy.
Sure. The problem is being 9 in a 12 player draft is that the closer to get to 12 the more margin for error there is.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Sure. The problem is being 9 in a 12 player draft is that the closer to get to 12 the more margin for error there is.

I think it depends on the draft and how one views the tiers.

In this case, I felt there was better than normal value through the 12th pick.

But I also felt that the last tier of players I really liked stopped at 10.

The Rangers have intimated that they like the top 10 in this draft --- though it remains to be seen who they like, and whether or not that was a statement to enhance to talk up the value of their pick as they look at potential moves.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
I really like being in the 9 spot. Should be no regrets with who's picked. I take Tkachuk or Bouchard all day if they're the one left. Up in the air as to what top talent is there for the taking. Boqvist, Hughes, Dobson, Wahlstrom, any of these guys would be a great pick.

Reactions: Rongomania

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Thoughts on Zucc + Spoon/Names/Lindgren/Rykov (pick 1)

What could that package potentially get us?

Imagine another nice pick, while keeping the three we’ve already got?

Whoa.

***edit***

Can you guys picture Gorts and Dru sitting at a table literally piled with jerseys during RD 1?

:laugh::laugh:

BringBackLibertys

Oct 10, 2007
Middlesex, NC
Thoughts on Zucc + Spoon/Names/Lindgren/Rykov (pick 1)

:laugh::laugh:

My thoughts are why are you trading young assets we already have in the system that are older then 18 for a chance at another one (unless you think that package gets you 1-3OA, which, it doesn't even come close to)? A lot of guys on here value our players more then I think we should. I love them all, but Spoon and Names are not getting you 1st round value each, and the kids should not be traded. Zucc I think gets you a pick between about 22-30.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
My thoughts are why are you trading young assets we already have in the system that are older then 18 for a chance at another one (unless you think that package gets you 1-3OA, which, it doesn't even come close to)? A lot of guys on here value our players more then I think we should. I love them all, but Spoon and Names are not getting you 1st round value each, and the kids should not be traded. Zucc I think gets you a pick between about 22-30.

Sorry bud, ya must’ve misunderstood or I misspoke- I meant altogether, Zucc plus one of those four guys.

Those four guys are all solid adds to Zucc to get something nice IMHO.

From what I’ve HEARD Lindgren & Rykov are well liked around the league/hockey world - solid B+ prospects (?) One of them is kind of expendable to me as well (plus you guys have basically all beaten the ‘way, we’ve got too much LD going’ into me, and I think this is why - bait).

I don’t believe that I’m over-valuing and I cannot speak for others - I am just throwing out thoughts, I am not married to any particular opinions when it comes to making our team better, I’ve just got ideas, man.

Also re: ‘(unless you think that package gets you 1-3OA, which, it doesn't even come close to)?‘ - come onnnnn ! Never would I think that, but maybe something sweet..

BringBackLibertys

Oct 10, 2007
Middlesex, NC
Sorry bud, ya must’ve misunderstood or I misspoke- I meant altogether, Zucc plus one of those four guys.

Those four guys are all solid adds to Zucc to get something nice IMHO.

From what I’ve HEARD Lindgren & Rykov are well liked around the league/hockey world - solid B+ prospects (?) One of them is kind of expendable to me as well (plus you guys have basically all beaten the ‘way, we’ve got too much LD going’ into me, and I think this is why - bait).

I don’t believe that I’m over-valuing and I cannot speak for others - I am just throwing out thoughts, I am not married to any particular opinions when it comes to making our team better, I’ve just got ideas, man.

Also re: ‘(unless you think that package gets you 1-3OA, which, it doesn't even come close to)?‘ - come onnnnn ! Never would I think that, but maybe something sweet..

Ahhh, I feel better now. I still don't move Lindgren or Rykov, they wont all pan out, and I would keep both to let them compete and let the chips fall where they may. And hey, if they do both work out, what does an NHL ready LHD get you when you are ready to really compete again? It's not a bad chip to hold.

As for the rest. I would love to see if something like Spooner to a team like the Canes, who think they need more players who can play right now would net us someone like Zykov, a younger (22 yo) right shooting winger. Maybe or maybe not, but I see that as way more possible then Spooner getting us a pick in the first round of this draft.

As for Names, I would sign him on a 2 year deal. I think he played below what he could for us, selling him now would be bad asset management. And Zucc, I really think he needs to be dealt, before he gets older and more tired of losing, but not sure what we can get.

Thanks for clearing up what you were saying, I thought you were doing a hail mary through it all in one bag and hope for a high pick type of proposal. LOL

BringBackLibertys

Oct 10, 2007
Middlesex, NC
What does it take from NYR to get Pesce, the 2OA, and Darling from Carolina?

While they are saying they would trade it, 2OA is basically unavailable unless you are giving them an elite league player (like think in a EK deal with Ottawa). At least that is what the one or two folks on local radio that talk NHL are saying. Basically, don't ask unless you are looking to unload your superstar.

People think the Hurricanes are in fire sale mode, and it's just not the case, they actually want players that will help them right now, without giving up their best young guys. They want to unload guys like Skinner, not Pesce. If you want a D, it would be Faulk that they would rather sell on, and in my mind, he is a lesser McD, and already at 26 years old.

This of course is just from me watching them as the local team (so my 2nd team now, I have been here 20 years) and what I hear in the local reports. BTW, there are multiple things like this out there, so I am almost 100% they are using the pick:

And speaking of Svechnikov, John Forslund joined David Glenn and used the words “slam dunk” so you know where his preference lies. [DG Show (audio)]

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Rangers are going to be comfortable to trade at least two top 3 round picks for a bit older players I heard today. Not HF Old, but 20-22 range. Take it with some salt as there are so many rumors and all hangs on who chooses where.
So basically guys from the 2015 draft who have shit the bed on the development side. What's WHL superstar Ryan Gropp up to these days? :naughty:

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Regarding Zucc

I doubt they take a lousy deal just to trade him at the draft. Then I think the TDL becomes more enticing. I personally think he is dealt. Possibly resigned thereafter. For all purposes the guy is a huge fan favorite bleeding Broadway Blue, plays mostly decent 2 way hockey and was in fact the NYR leading scorer 4 of the past 5 seasons (not including MSL in 2013+2014 as he scored mostly in Tampa) -
2013-2014 - Most points
2015-2016 - Most points
2016-2017 - Most points
2017-2018 - Most points
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
We need to find a sucker GM and get a good return for such a player that lead our scoring 4 outta 5 years when we were not that bad yet definitely scoring by committee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad