Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XV: Trading up or down? - Mod Warning post #450

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Ahhh, I feel better now. I still don't move Lindgren or Rykov, they wont all pan out, and I would keep both to let them compete and let the chips fall where they may. And hey, if they do both work out, what does an NHL ready LHD get you when you are ready to really compete again? It's not a bad chip to hold.

As for the rest. I would love to see if something like Spooner to a team like the Canes, who think they need more players who can play right now would net us someone like Zykov, a younger (22 yo) right shooting winger. Maybe or maybe not, but I see that as way more possible then Spooner getting us a pick in the first round of this draft.

As for Names, I would sign him on a 2 year deal. I think he played below what he could for us, selling him now would be bad asset management. And Zucc, I really think he needs to be dealt, before he gets older and more tired of losing, but not sure what we can get.

Thanks for clearing up what you were saying, I thought you were doing a hail mary through it all in one bag and hope for a high pick type of proposal. LOL

Haha, absolutely! Stacked LD depth (best case scenario) would be FANTASTIC.

RE: Spoonman - great idea. I think the canes have some interesting pieces, though I am not up to date on their prospects.

I am into Names too, I am just unsure if Gorts acquired him because he’s appealing to specific other teams or if he wants him to grow with this club (been on a winning team, kno a the conference, etc.). I love Zucc but he needs to go, too nice of a chip to help the future of this team and that will certainly be the one which stings the most and I will be rooting for him even if he lands on LI, PIT or NJD. I was one of the first guys here screaming that Kreider needs that C, I truly think that’s what will get him to that elusive ‘next level’ we’ve all been clamoring for. Again with Zucc, I think adding spoon to zucc can get us a haul, or do ya think they’d be better off sold separately?

And of course Lib, I try my best not to go ‘full @bernmeister’ (Bern, I love you and your posts got me through some rough times in life and I was cheering when we traded Step, was always with you in spirit on that one).

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Regarding Zucc

I doubt they take a lousy deal just to trade him at the draft. Then I think the TDL becomes more enticing. I personally think he is dealt. Possibly resigned thereafter. For all purposes the guy is a huge fan favorite bleeding Broadway Blue, plays mostly decent 2 way hockey and was in fact the NYR leading scorer 4 of the past 5 seasons (not including MSL in 2013+2014 as he scored mostly in Tampa) -
2013-2014 - Most points
2015-2016 - Most points
2016-2017 - Most points
2017-2018 - Most points
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
We need to find a sucker GM and get a good return for such a player that lead our scoring 4 outta 5 years when we were not that bad yet definitely scoring by committee

Zucc did say that he most likely stays, after a meeting with Gorton. But if he doesn't live up to his standards next season...by all means, trade him at the TDL.

There are also a couple of other scenarios:

- He doesn't want to stay here because he thinks the Rangers will not be a cup contender for the next 2-3 years. Then he could be traded at the draft to a place he wants to go, I'm pretty sure Pittsburgh is one of them.

-The Rangers offer him a contract extension, and he accepts. This can be done in a month already.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
What is the Penguins moving for Domi? They seem to get a lot of guys for peanuts, they give up everything everyone asks for but they have nothing to give up so they end up robbing a lot of people.

We should go hard after Domi IMO. The hockey world are definitely overrating “performance” so much, more than ever, hockey is a team game. Nobody can get it done by themselves. Very few can get it done without downright strong support. Domi isn’t without blame — but he hasn’t been helped at all in Arizona. The kid is a winner, watch any of the Ari games that are replayed during the summer, he looks depressed from the drop of the puck until the fat lady sings, he has only lost in the desert. Tough atmosphere for him, Doan losing it on management, Hanzal traded. Compare that to how he looked for Canada in the WJC for example, super animated energy guy. I saw him score a goal in a replay the other night, didn’t even indicate a smile.

Domi is a good player, great speed, tremendous balance, fantastic coordination. Sure he isn’t capable of putting a team on his back — but say that like Domi went to Tampa instead of Ari I wouldn’t be surprised if he was seen as a bona fide top 30 forward by now. He fits well into what we are trying to do.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
The 2018 Draft Class looks to be much better than the 2004. Also keeping in mind that I think with the way sports are changing with the use of analytics, expanded staff for the analytics that can work the scouting staff, you can be more accurate with your picks in the first few rounds. Sure there will still be bad judgement and busts, but there is just so much more accessible information out there today than there was over a decade ago.

We also will not be taking a Goalie with our 1st and 2nd round picks. I have confidence in the organizational staff

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
So I read earlier in this thread (I think?) that Detroit would be willing to trade down.

Does the 6th overall and the 30th (or 31st) overall for 9th overall and 26th overall get it done?

Reactions: RGY

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
So I read earlier in this thread (I think?) that Detroit would be willing to trade down.

Does the 6th overall and the 30th (or 31st) overall for 9th overall and 26th overall get it done?

Unlikely, since the value to move up at the top end of a round is likely to be more than an equivalent move later in the round.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

9OA plus one of the late 1sts or our own 2nd will get it done. Historically, that's what the value has been.

But, as with all drafts, it will usually come down to A) what Detroit's draft board looks like and B) how picks 1 to 5 actually pan out. That will determine how willing they will be to move the pick and, in turn, how much it will take to make that trade.

Reactions: Berserk

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

No. I think it's pretty likely that the guy you want at 26 will still be there at 30. Much less likely for 6 to 9.

member 116805

Zucc did say that he most likely stays, after a meeting with Gorton. But if he doesn't live up to his standards next season...by all means, trade him at the TDL.

- He doesn't want to stay here because he thinks the Rangers will not be a cup contender for the next 2-3 years. Then he could be traded at the draft to a place he wants to go, I'm pretty sure Pittsburgh is one of them.

-The Rangers offer him a contract extension, and he accepts. This can be done in a month already.

Mats has no say in where he gets traded if that happens

Reactions: Berserk

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

The beauty of not handing out a NTC to Zucc, is that you can decide where he goes in a trade. Gorton doesn't care where a player wants to go. It is a business. You remind me of those menopausal women on Twitter who don't want us to trade Zucc because they named their dog "Zuccy"

Reactions: jas

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
9OA plus one of the late 1sts or our own 2nd will get it done. Historically, that's what the value has been.

But, as with all drafts, it will usually come down to A) what Detroit's draft board looks like and B) how picks 1 to 5 actually pan out. That will determine how willing they will be to move the pick and, in turn, how much it will take to make that trade.

The chart says the Rangers can trade the Devils 2nd.

http://statsportsconsulting.com/main/wp-content/uploads/DraftPickValueChart2016_Schuckers.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad