Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XV: Trading up or down? - Mod Warning post #450

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
A minor miracle. I don't think Darling has the kind of negative value that he makes a package of Pesce and the #2 attainable.
I agree. It's a damn shame, too. Everything about that package is just perfect for NYR. We need the top-3 pick. We need the RHD. We have the ability to eat cap right now.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Man a lot of people in here have crazy dreams. It will take a Superstar, or a great player plus a pick at least. On our team it will take Zibanejad + at least one first round pick, seriously guys, just stop....
Relax, its HFboards.
We know the top 3 teams won't move. Realistically, Detroit has come out publicly and is shopping 6 but I'd be curious if something could happen with Arizona at 5 along with Domi.

BringBackLibertys

Oct 10, 2007
Middlesex, NC
Relax, its HFboards.
We know the top 3 teams won't move. Realistically, Detroit has come out publicly and is shopping 6 but I'd be curious if something could happen with Arizona at 5 along with Domi.

Yea, sorry, must have been reading to much of the main trade boards today, I was starting to think everyone is nuts. As for any pick after 3, I think they can be had, but what is the value of moving up that far? For me the next few picks (at least 4-6) are all together, and I could argue 4-9 really. So I don't want to give up a late first to move up to 5 or 6. I would think about Zucc +9 if it got us 5/6 plus a B level 20-21 year old. I know most people would say I am underselling Zucc though.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I agree. It's a damn shame, too. Everything about that package is just perfect for NYR. We need the top-3 pick. We need the RHD. We have the ability to eat cap right now.
I think we could get one or the other, but not both. I guess it depends on what they get in return for Skinner, but I’m still struggling to see why they move Pesce

Reactions: BringBackLibertys

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Yeah I agree that the needs line up extremely well for us, but unfortunately we're not quite at the point where we're ready to pay what it'd cost. You'd have to think that a close to NHL ready prospect and/or roster player is the cost to move up to #2 from #9, and then add whatever the going rate is for a minute-eating. young RHD on a friendly contract is.

This might just have to be the year where we load up on prospects and hope that we end up with enough currency next summer to make a splash for those key pieces. Ya never know though. Maybe this team gets lucky with a lop-sided trade or sliding player on draft day.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Yea, sorry, must have been reading to much of the main trade boards today, I was starting to think everyone is nuts. As for any pick after 3, I think they can be had, but what is the value of moving up that far? For me the next few picks (at least 4-6) are all together, and I could argue 4-9 really. So I don't want to give up a late first to move up to 5 or 6. I would think about Zucc +9 if it got us 5/6 plus a B level 20-21 year old. I know most people would say I am underselling Zucc though.

Yeah, its that time where we see crazy proposals being thrown around but I do like the idea of moving up with Arizona at 5 and a player like Domi. If it means 9 and Zucc then I think you have to do it. Walk away with Wahlstrom, Domi then try and package up the late 2 1st rounders to move into the teens or stand pat at 26 and 28.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Eh, I was on board for a free asset that lets us move some others for value.

This team, IMHO, is looking to add young-ish NHL players. Other than Zuccarello, and maybe Spooner, I don't see them moving all too much. And they might not even move Zooks. They had their eye on Namestnikov for a while so I don't see them moving him after a 20 game stint where he was probably still in shock.

Kovalchuk playing for the Rangers makes little sense for Kovalchuk other than wearing the uniform. I didn't get the "fit" from the beginning for him (or, frankly, the Rangers). Like I've said, though, I don't think this "rebuild" is going to be as drastic as some of you do. We'll see.

Reactions: broadwayblue

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Rangers are going to be comfortable to trade at least two top 3 round picks for a bit older players I heard today. Not HF Old, but 20-22 range. Take it with some salt as there are so many rumors and all hangs on who chooses where.
Gorton alluded to moves like that himself after the trade deadline in some of his interviews. He talked about it being important to have prospects that were at different ages and different stages of their development.

Any idea who they'd be interested in or what teams?

Would have to think one of the teams with no first rounder would be interested in one of our late 1sts.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Having an actual roster of NHL players would let us not play any of the kiddos unless they earn it. Frankly I don't want to see Chytil or Andersson in the NHL next year barring them blowing everyones doors off.

Kovalchuk would be a great start in that direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad