Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XV: Trading up or down? - Mod Warning post #450

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
I worry about Hughes ability to play defense. I get the whole...who needs to defend if you always have the puck...but sometimes he's gonna play against guys like ovechkin Crosby mcdavid hall matthews etc etc etc....you still gotta defend...he's gotta be one of the weaker defenders from what I've seen and read.
People said the same things about EK65 and he turned out ok.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I worry about Hughes ability to play defense. I get the whole...who needs to defend if you always have the puck...but sometimes he's gonna play against guys like ovechkin Crosby mcdavid hall matthews etc etc etc....you still gotta defend...he's gotta be one of the weaker defenders from what I've seen and read.

Me too. People focus so much on offensive ability, but we need a guy who can shutdown the opposition.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
People said the same things about EK65 and he turned out ok.

One case does not make a trend. It's rare that a defenseman who is poor at defending becomes good at it. The best you can usually hope for is that they aren't a liability 5 on 5 and that their offense outweighs their defensive shortcomings.

If a dman can't play regular minutes 5 on 5 and on the PK, I don't want him.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Ek65 is a tremendous defender..he's not even average in his own zone...he's downright terrific. Im wondering if Hughes will ever be average...probably need @Edge to chime in here.

I think he has the smarts to become average. But yes, strength and defense will be an obstacle for both Hughes and Boqvist as they develop.

I’m actually more curious to see if he can beat higher level goalies with his shot.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Don't know why anyone would question giving up Zucc, Names, Day, both our later first round picks, to come out on Friday with a Top 5 pick, a Top 10 pick, and Erik Karlsson... When is the last time anything that good has happened to the Rangers?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
It's not just the Rangers, but I am surprised we haven't seen more minor deals. Even ones like some older RFA's being swapped or dealt for later picks as teams find they can't pay them what they are looking for

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Don't know why anyone would question giving up Zucc, Names, Day, both our later first round picks, to come out on Friday with a Top 5 pick, a Top 10 pick, and Erik Karlsson... When is the last time anything that good has happened to the Rangers?

I dont' think anyones questioning it from the Rangers side. It's a hilariously awful proposal for Ottawa.

Why would the Sens keep their pick instead of turning it over to the Avs, and then trade it for 2 late 1sts, a RFA and Zucc who is a UFA next year? Just awful.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006

Not sure anyone is questioning doing that from a Ranger perspective, they are questioning why the hell Ottawa would. Getting Karlsson and the 4th pick for that package will involve taking Ryan back at the very least. Even then Ottawa should be kicked out of the league for giving away Hoffman for nothing, Karlsson for that, and not having what would have been 2 top 10, if not top 5 picks.

Reactions: ericmgomes

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
I'll be the first to admit that I don't follow draft prospects as much as others but what are folks thinking about the depth of this year's draft in comparison to past years?
Rangers having 5 picks in the first 2 rounds gives me some confidence that barring a bunch of insane reaches for players they should come out of this rather successfully. There's a part of me that would love to see them reach to get into the top 3/4 but coming to realize that staying put and/or perhaps trading players that don't figure in long term plans to acquire more picks for this draft or next year's, move up in the order, etc. would be just fine with me.
Probably the most anticipated draft in recent memory... its should be a roller coaster starting this weekend. LGR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad