Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XV: Trading up or down? - Mod Warning post #450

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Personally, I like a Patches / ROR swap more for the Habs than the Sabres. Patches might be a guy who takes his shot in free agency if he has a bounce-back season. Which I believe he will.

ROR is a very underrated player.
Agreed, and he's been stuck in a miserable situation in Buffalo playing with some crappy linemates. Who's been his best consistent linemate these past few years? Okposo or Reinhart?

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
I love ROR, but he's the ultimate number two center in my book.

I can't help but feel that putting slotting him into a first line role is not going to produce the results Montreal hopes for, or play to his strengths.

Meanwhile in Buffalo, you're talking about someone like Zadina joining Eichel, Dahlin, and potentially Mittelstadt.

Unless of course the deal grows and you're talking about something like ROR and the 3rd pick for ROR and Ristolainen.
t
Even Buffalo can't mess up with that core, Montreal could seal Buffalo as the Penguins 2.0.
That would be awful.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
R.o.r. is Derek stepan with hair. That's an awful trade for Montreal patches is a consistent 30 goal guy...I wouldn't do a 1 for 1 like that...no...friggin...way

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
DgLBCSdVQAAfwBh.jpg

Rangers listed as a potential match for Ottawa and Erik Karlsson

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
I mean, if they can get Karlsson for the #28, Names, Gilmour and a second while taking back Gaborik or MacArthur I'd be game.

Gaborik has 3 years left at $4.88 AAV. MacArthur has 2 years left $4.65 AAV. MacArthur would be LTIR.
Looks a lot like the Aroldis Chapman deal. Gorts can flip him for Gleyber at the deadline and sign him back next July.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
R.o.r. is Derek stepan with hair. That's an awful trade for Montreal patches is a consistent 30 goal guy...I wouldn't do a 1 for 1 like that...no...friggin...way

Stepan is a good ballpark comparison, but ROR is a notch better offensively. Both consistent, but comparing the past 5 years, ROR scores about 5 more points per season (55-64 pts per season)

MP trended down late in the season 2 years ago and had a horrible playoffs.
Then last year he had 17 goals (21 if you pro-rate it for a full season) and 37 points. It could just be an off-year or a scary trend downward. I think he's a couple of years older than ROR, too.

ROR plays a more important position. It's definitely a fair trade and arguably a better deal for Montreal imo (excluding a discussion of contract which is another story).

Reactions: TheTakedown

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
For what its worth theres usually few trades on the day of the awards. There could be some trades ready to blow in the morning. Also on ROR, I think it was Lebrun who recently said that most teams don't want to trade for ROR until after July 1st to avoid paying him his gargantuan bonus. MTL is the only team that doesn't really care and would be down to pay it. Hence why the 3OA rumor is still around.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I mean, if they can get Karlsson for the #28, Names, Gilmour and a second while taking back Gaborik or MacArthur I'd be game.

Gaborik has 3 years left at $4.88 AAV. MacArthur has 2 years left $4.65 AAV. MacArthur would be LTIR.
I'd be literally jumping and down with excitement. I'm not into the idea of trading for Karlsson overall but that would be an insane steal and wouldn't set the rebuild back in any significant way.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I'd be literally jumping and down with excitement. I'm not into the idea of trading for Karlsson overall but that would be an insane steal and wouldn't set the rebuild back in any significant way.

I would imagine they could get a better return from many other teams.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
If JG has showed us anything, trades aren't going down until just before he's about to hit the podium..

Reactions: Mac n Gs

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Yeah, hence my jumping up and down if that somehow happened.

I'm anti trading for him...but I would admit it would be hard to be angry about that deal. I would only hope he is still playing at an elite level 3 to 5 years from now when we are contending again.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Rangers trade 26 namestnikov spooner gilmour and vesey for ek65 Gabby and MacArthur

Rangers trade ek65 to the knights for 2019 first and 2 of glass Suzuki or brannstrom

So we give up 5 pieces for 2 cap dumps, a late first and 2 prospects? Nah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad